• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental loses captain over colleague's alcohol allegation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't get him started again. He's yanking the chain to see who will bite on the definition, as he did earlier in the thread.

Of course, the concept that the author of the article precisely intended to convey the exact working relationship of the reporting party (whom is not cited) is nebulous at best...particularly considering the article does not address nor discuss the nature of the reporting party. The article is vague at best. More importantly, why should one presuppose that the author has any particular understanding of the relationship that may exist between a captain, and any other company employee?

Therefore, attempting to read into what is not written is not only fruitless, but arguementative...probably the intent in carrying on the mindless discussions that have hereto been invoked. So many have howled in anger at the f/o who would report a captain, when no such information has been provided. So many have howled in anger at the management that would believe such allegations, or take action on them, when the only information the article does provide is that the actor (captain) failed the alcohol test.

FN is trying to get a rise...and has been moderately successful among the lemmings who failed to take note of the fact that no meaningful information has been provided. Sad, but laughable. Some folks must just have a desire to be angry. Perhaps the airline slogan ought to be XXX, we're angry, and it shows.

Or more increasingly, XXX, we're drunk, and it shows. Twist the semantics anyway you wish. Drunk. Intoxicated. Of limited performance. Diminished. Blasted. Wasted. Tipped. Buzzed. Fried. Happy. Whatever you want to call it...over the legal limit is over the legal limit, and them's the facts. Period.

Collegue or not. Protege, contemporary, compatriot, buddy, fellow employee, whatever. All irrelevant.

SSDD said:
Rez, what would you do if you talked to him and he still refused to call in sick?

Rez O. Lewshun said:
You don't suggest he call in sick. You give him the choice of calling in sick or you'll do it for him. Either way he doesn't operate the jet. Get it? .

Most if not all of my post reflect this ideal....

Amish RakeFight said:
The term "colleague" as used in the article may actually refer to anyone whom the Pilot works with closely. This can include captains, FO's, FA's, dispatchers or anyone else closely involved with his flight. Discretion (by use of colleague) may have been used by the airline in order to preserve the persons identity.
Everybody is a co-captain until something happens and the lawsuits are filed.

JP4user said:
Whatever. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish about you scab mantra and some idiot that ruins his career. Perhaps if you didn't post while drinking your message may come across better.

Who knows what type of employee reported it. In my opinion it doesn't matter. You drink, you lose your job.

Couldnt agree more.. It just amazes me that i am reading posts about how it is possibly everyones fault except the pilot in question.. Blame the FO? or a whistleblower for not confronting the guy?? That is absolute insanity!! The captain is a grown adult and deserves everything coming to him and more.. If then pilot does not have the maturity or integrity to show up to fly a $50 million jet sober then I sure as hell dont want my family on that plane.

clickclickboom said:
Couldnt agree more.. It just amazes me that i am reading posts about how it is possibly everyones fault except the pilot in question.. Blame the FO? or a whistleblower for not confronting the guy?? That is absolute insanity!! The captain is a grown adult and deserves everything coming to him and more.. If then pilot does not have the maturity or integrity to show up to fly a $50 million jet sober then I sure as hell dont want my family on that plane.

I dont think anyone on here has blamed anyone but the pilot in question for the drinking. Maybe if you could get off your holier than thou, self proclaimed moral god of aviation pedestal you would understand that what myself and others have posted was about how it was handled. No matter what, this guy would not have flown and would have gotten help and or whatever he needed to get his act together. The difference is you would rather have him fired, destroying his and more importantly his families lives. Where, I would have given him that one last chance to do the right thing by seeking help himself via pro. standards ect. The only thing I hope is that if you ever make a mistake somebody just like yourself is there to judge you with all the compassion that you would give them. Flown tired? well studies have proven that is actually worse than small amounts of alcohol. I sure as heck dont want my family on with you, I think you should be fired!

ReportCanoa said:
Nice job by the FO or whomever. I guess trying to get the guy to call in sick and following up with pro standards would have been too much work.

Just FYI here, Professional Standards is NEVER allowed to get involved in any issue regarding any type of substance abuse.

But they can steer you to the appropriate place. Most decent companies have EAP's (Employee Assistance Programs) that will give even a pilot one chance at rehab - even at company expense.

Guarantee if you called pro standards you'd get there eventually.

Latest resources

Back