Continental loses captain over colleague's alcohol allegation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pipe said:
BTW AC560, when you do finally fly an airplane that requires two pilots, please feel free to comment further.

Sometimes I wear foggles so the plane needs a second pilot, mostly though I am just so good I don't need an assistant like yourself to raise and lower the gear for me.

There are a variety of ways to confront a situation, but in no situation can I see the person who has to confront it is ever worse then person causing it. This is particularly true in the case of showing up to fly bombed. And if you think flying drunk is a problem with the airlines only you need to spend a little more time in the GA world where people openly brag about flying with a can between their legs.

AC560 said:
Sometimes I wear foggles so the plane needs a second pilot, mostly though I am just so good I don't need an assistant like yourself to raise and lower the gear for me.

There are a variety of ways to confront a situation, but in no situation can I see the person who has to confront it is ever worse then person causing it. This is particularly true in the case of showing up to fly bombed. And if you think flying drunk is a problem with the airlines only you need to spend a little more time in the GA world where people openly brag about flying with a can between their legs.

I've spent lots of time in the GA world. I have also dealt with this particular issue several times.

Once CFI to CFI, twice in the military, and once in 121 service. Each time everyone has kept their jobs, no one has gotten hurt, and none of the "cast of characters" has ever had any further problem. One thing I can say with certainty - it never involved any management supervision (Chief Pilot or otherwise) and in every case I was thanked by the involved party. You would be amazed how much can be accomplished peer to peer and by unions on this issue.

PIPE

"The co-worker has an absolute, indisputable obligation to see that the pilot did not take the flight. There is no obligation to see that it's done in a manner that the pilot avoids the consequences of his decision. Like I said, it would be the nice thing to do, And I personally woud chose the "ummm, I think you ought to call in sick here buddy" routine, but there is no moral obligation to do so."

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. I agree completely.

If I ever have to confront someone the other person's real problem is whether or not I kick his ass for putting me in that awkward situation. You show up not fit to work and I'm supposed to tap-dance around it and 'suggest' you call in sick. Fukc you! Why are you putting me in this predicament? Your second chance was when you were looking in the mirror and knew you were unfit, but you decided to come in anyway. When it gets to the point I get involved the conversation is going to be very one sided. I talk, you listen and comply without hesitation. If you even inhale before replying with an affirmative I'm calling the cops and the CP. I'm going to call pro standards irregardless.

Somebody that knowingly and willingly risks my job and my family's livelihood (not to mention the stupendous safety issues) doesn't get a second chance from me that day. After treatment and rehab I'll welcome you back, but not today pal.

Last edited:
BTW AC560, when you do finally fly an airplane that requires two pilots, please feel free to comment further.

What was that about "arrogant, sanctimonious, holier than thou a$$hole," again?

And if you think flying drunk is a problem with the airlines only you need to spend a little more time in the GA world where people openly brag about flying with a can between their legs.

I've spent decades in the GA world, and have never seen or known anyone to fly intoxicated. I can assure you, however, that were someone to brag to me about doing so, I'd see them investigated and violated fast enough that they'd never spill a drop in a cockpit again. Without remorse.

As a former aviation safety counselor, that's not even an area I'd bother to counsel the person on before passing their information to an inspector for investigation and enforcement. If a pilot is stupid enough to fly intoxicated, then the pilot has already taken this idiotic action knowingly. The matter is beyond counseling. If the pilot brags about it, as far as I am concerned, then he or she should have his or her certificates immediately revoked...and chances are that's what's going to happen.

Those who wear stupidity as their badge of honor are indeed astounding in their resolve toward self-incrimination and ultimately destruction.

If I see a man in a SIDA without ID, I may confront and ask, or at a minimum, report. If I see a pilot I believe intoxicated, I may confront, or I may report. The circumstance will dictate, as will the attitude and intent of the person involved. Rest assured, however, that the situation will not be let go; it will get handled by whatever means are necessary, bar nothing. If that means someone loses their career, then so be it; their decision, not mine.

I don't care how many pilots are sitting in that cockpit at a given time. It makes no difference. Brotherhood? Please! He's not my brother, I'm not his keeper. But the life I save may be his, a passengers life, the life of an innocent surface dweller below, or my own. That alone, is reason enough.

Do you need more?

avbug said:
What was that about "arrogant, sanctimonious, holier than thou a$$hole," again?

I've spent decades in the GA world, and have never seen or known anyone to fly intoxicated. I can assure you, however, that were someone to brag to me about doing so, I'd see them investigated and violated fast enough that they'd never spill a drop in a cockpit again. Without remorse.
Working the ramp I have seen it one time, guy got out of a Cardnial (C-177) ran for the bathroom at the FBO, only guy on board three empty beer bottles on the seat next to him. My first thing was to call the FSDO, who called the state police, there in five minutes, arrested the guy who proceded to blow a .14, and I testified in court against him, and I would do it again in a second, I dont want to share my airspace with anyone like this.

pipe said:
Each time everyone has kept their jobs, no one has gotten hurt, and none of the "cast of characters" has ever had any further problem.

That is the problem, people get away with something once they are often times more likely to try and get away with it again. While there may not have been any further problem that you are aware of they could very well have shown up drunk with some one else who either didn't notice or ignored it. If they lost their wings it wouldn't be a problem in the future, ever.

avbug said:
I've spent decades in the GA world, and have never seen or known anyone to fly intoxicated.

If anything I think GA pilots are lot worse when it comes to breaking the rules in a variety of ways then professional pilots. People flying without medicals, revoked certificates, no BFR, no annual on their aircraft, have a few drinks at one airport then fly back home, etc. My opinion though is the same as yours zero tolerance.

Whether it is a 747 Captain 30yrs flying the line with 30,000hrs or a 200hr newly minted private pilot when people break these types of rules it puts me at risk when I fly and makes me as a pilot become associated with their practices. Case in point Jay Leno's joke last night of the near miss at ORD that the pilot's were close enough to see which brand of beer they were drinking. The industry/hobby has enough problems without people doing their best to make it even worse.

Caveman said:
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner. I agree completely.

A winner of what?

Caveman said:
If I ever have to confront someone the other person's real problem is whether or not I kick his ass for putting me in that awkward situation. You show up not fit to work and I'm supposed to tap-dance around it and 'suggest' you call in sick. Fukc you!

Profanity is the ultimate indicator of professionalism. Nice school boy whinning about having your own on-the-job difficulties and expectations. Are you going to kick his ass on school grounds? Maybe by the jungle gym?

Too bad you can't fly by yourself then everything would go perfect.

You don't suggest he call in sick. You give him the choice of calling in sick or you'll do it for him. Either way he doesn't operate the jet. Get it?

Caveman said:
Why are you putting me in this predicament? Your second chance was when you were looking in the mirror and knew you were unfit, but you decided to come in anyway.

Pipe guy already said it. We get to back each other up. Help each other. I'd think you would've learned that in the Marines.

The crying and whinning is amazing. Show up to work and do your job. If that means dealing with an alcoholic, then so be it. Why all the emotion? Tell the guy to call in sick. If he doesn't, call in sick for him. Wait for scheduling to put a new pilot on the trip or cancel it. Continue on with your day. What is so difficult for you?

Caveman said:
When it gets to the point I get involved the conversation is going to be very one sided. I talk, you listen and comply without hesitation. If you even inhale before replying with an affirmative I'm calling the cops and the CP. I'm going to call pro standards irregardless.

Grow up big boy. This comment reeks of fear and a lack of understanding of what to really do in this kind of situation.

Calling the cops? Are you serious. So that means when your fellow pilots don't like your behavior they can call the cops too? Same with the CP? I'm sure you are a model employee so nothing will come of it but how times do you want to explain yourself to the cops or CP? Finally..if you call the CP then PSC is out. It is one or the other. But according to your post you really don't know what to do or how to handle this. Your plan of action is to:

Kick his ass
Call the cops
Call the Chief Pilot
Call PSC (a waste of time since you called the CP)

I suggest you call your HIMS Chairman. There is a good chance he is a recovering alcoholic and understands these situations very well. Once you get educated you'll feel better about yourself and the ability to deal with situations like this. You can address your fears head on all while not using violence and making so many calls.

Caveman said:
Somebody that knowingly and willingly risks my job and my family's livelihood (not to mention the stupendous safety issues) doesn't get a second chance from me that day. After treatment and rehab I'll welcome you back, but not today pal.

I realize empathy isn't part of destroying your enemy in the Marines, but guess what, this isn't the Marines.

Alcoholism is considered a medical condition. It is not a social selection mechanism to eliminate undesirables! If you go down that path then prepare to be weeded out because you might not fit the next level of criteria!

Your reaction and attitude would be similiar to reading your fellow pilot the riot act for having a heart attack in flight. How dare he eat a poor diet, not exercise and get check ups. Why would he:

knowingly and willingly risks my job and my family's livelihood

You people are real gems. Fine examples of the Air Line Pilot Profession. You have the choice to handle this situation with grace and integrity yet you choose the path of fear.

Last edited:
I've been in aviation for over 30 years, and I have to say that some of the people on this board are pretty scary. You would fly with a guy who smells like alcohol(you don't know the actual level) and hope everything goes alright? You are every bit as irresponsible as he is!

I'd have "the talk", but if he refuses to take himself off the trip...then he's on his own...

Some people here seem to have a screwed up sense of loyalty and responsability.

Professionalism is not about covering up, its also about making the hard choices!!!!!!!!

Rez, what would you do if you talked to him and he still refused to call in sick?

BTW, he could have been turned in by a number of people...

The CS agent at the gate...

The mechanic that brought the logbook up...

The fueler that brought the fuel slip...

On of the F/A's...

The F/O...

Last edited:
SSDD said:
BTW, he could have been turned in by a number of people...

The CS agent at the gate...

The mechanic that brought the logbook up...

The fueler that brought the fuel slip...

On of the F/A's...

The F/O...
Yea, but the article clearly stated it was a colleague, not a protégé.

The term "colleague" as used in the article may actually refer to anyone whom the Pilot works with closely. This can include captains, FO's, FA's, dispatchers or anyone else closely involved with his flight. Discretion (by use of colleague) may have been used by the airline in order to preserve the persons identity.

Latest resources

Back