• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental loses captain over colleague's alcohol allegation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For all you hard line letter of the law types out there, I expect to read in the paper next week how a rash of pilots have turned themselves in to the police for speeding. Even 1 mph over is breaking the law and could result in lost lives. So for the good of us all turn yourselves in so you may set an example for the rest of us to look up to.

How about not doing it in the first place?

Weren't you the one that opined that everyone has show up for a flight intoxicated at some point, or driven intoxicated, or something along those lines? You assume everyone else breaks the law, do you?

You equate arriving for a flight intoxicated beyond the legal limit with driving one mile an hour over the speed limit, or think for one moment that any court or authority will see either with the same severity?

A pilot who knowingly arrives for a flight intoxicated beyond the legal limit has no right to tolerance. Who put the gun to this pilot's head? Who forced him to drink the night or morning before he knew he would take a flight? Who forced him to arrive intoxicated? Who forced him to elect to take the flight, knowing he wasn't ready or in condition to do so? Is this the fault of the "collegue" who turned him in? If the "collegue" hadn't done so, isn't it likely that someone else would have noticed?

That this man has possibly lost his career is his own doing. He is responsible. He is an adult. He is a pilot who thoroughly undertands the concept of pilot in command...of ultimate authority and ultimate responsibility. He undertook that responsibility as PIC; he embraced it, he accepted it, he made it part of his being...and he accepted paychecks to ratify tht acceptance. Then he elected to take a flight while intoxiated beyond the liberal legal limits accorded him, and has paid the price.

Don't speak of brotherly support. Don't speak of tolerance, kindness, professionalism. The pilot who elects to fly impaired has writtn his own ticket. He has destroyed the faith, destroyed the trust, and represents a black eye for everyone.

If you find yourself in sympathy with the perpetrator, you really have no need of sympathy yourself. You're cut from the same cloth.

avbug said:
How about not doing it in the first place?

Weren't you the one that opined that everyone has show up for a flight intoxicated at some point, or driven intoxicated, or something along those lines? You assume everyone else breaks the law, do you?

You equate arriving for a flight intoxicated beyond the legal limit with driving one mile an hour over the speed limit, or think for one moment that any court or authority will see either with the same severity?

A pilot who knowingly arrives for a flight intoxicated beyond the legal limit has no right to tolerance. Who put the gun to this pilot's head? Who forced him to drink the night or morning before he knew he would take a flight? Who forced him to arrive intoxicated? Who forced him to elect to take the flight, knowing he wasn't ready or in condition to do so? Is this the fault of the "collegue" who turned him in? If the "collegue" hadn't done so, isn't it likely that someone else would have noticed?

That this man has possibly lost his career is his own doing. He is responsible. He is an adult. He is a pilot who thoroughly undertands the concept of pilot in command...of ultimate authority and ultimate responsibility. He undertook that responsibility as PIC; he embraced it, he accepted it, he made it part of his being...and he accepted paychecks to ratify tht acceptance. Then he elected to take a flight while intoxiated beyond the liberal legal limits accorded him, and has paid the price.

Don't speak of brotherly support. Don't speak of tolerance, kindness, professionalism. The pilot who elects to fly impaired has writtn his own ticket. He has destroyed the faith, destroyed the trust, and represents a black eye for everyone.

If you find yourself in sympathy with the perpetrator, you really have no need of sympathy yourself. You're cut from the same cloth.

First of all your first paragraph... NOT ME why dont you try reading my posts again before casting judgement. Oh yea I forgot you are judge jury and executioner, it must be nice to be so perfect. Yes, I have been over the speed limit, do you have us all believe you havent?

No I dont think going 1 mph over the speed limit is the same thing, I was merely pointing out how riduculous the letter of the law types are. I was responding to the guy with the drug dealer comment again why dont you read first before casting judgements

3rd paragraph.. No one said the pilot was correct in doing what he did. No one would have allowed him to fly. No one would have allowed him to skate his actions and do it again to the next FO. The proper thing to do as EVERYONE has said was to get him to call in sick and to enter some sort of union or otherwise program to get help. By choosing to try and help this guy it also saves the company the publicity. If he refused then EVERYONE would agree, to heck with him and turned him in. You really need to learn how to comprehend what you are reading.

I dont have sympathy for the pilot in question, but I dont believe in destroying peoples lives without giving them every opportunity to make the situation right, this is exactly why these programs and options are available.

As far as being cut from the same cloth, no I dont drink on overnights ever, nice try. It must be really tough on you judging everyone all the time.

I think you should inform all your co-workers just how intolerant you are for any behaviors you dont approve of ( including any mistakes you might make inflight) so that they might hold you to the same standards. No ASAP forms for you just turn in your tickets. Its only fair.

The CEO A Snitch?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"What the hell are you doing?"[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"When is it OK to rat out a pilot?" asked Gus.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What do you mean?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Let's say I walk into the cockpit and he seems drunk?"[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]That's a no-brainer. He is sick and needs to be removed immediately.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"What if he is reading a non-company-issued magazine in cruise?"

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also a no-brainer. Ask him if he wants coffee and leave it at that.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]My theory has always been if another pilot, or for that matter, flight attendant, was doing something that could kill me it was my duty to do anything I can do to stop him or her from doing it.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Normally, just a comment like, "What the hell are you doing?" can make that happen. Sometimes a gesture or look will do. Sometimes you might have to have a visit with the ALPA professional standards guy and later perhaps a chief pilot to get a resolution.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Your kids may not be riding with him next week but somebody's kids will be. How would you feel if you didn't try to change his behavior and he killed 300 people the next trip? Cool is cool, but letting an idiot continue to act like one is way un-cool.[/FONT]

????????????????

FR8mastr said:
I agree, Given the choice the Captain would have called in sick. Lets see call in sick or get fired, Hmm what to do...
This would be just the kind of mentality that all the SCABS in management like. All symptoms of a much bigger problem at CAL (scabs not alcohol)

What does 'SCAB' has to do with someone showing up at work with so much alcohol in his/her body?

Bunny

??????????????

FR8mastr said:
First of all your first paragraph... NOT ME why dont you try reading my posts again before casting judgement. Oh yea I forgot you are judge jury and executioner, it must be nice to be so perfect. Yes, I have been over the speed limit, do you have us all believe you havent?

No I dont think going 1 mph over the speed limit is the same thing, I was merely pointing out how riduculous the letter of the law types are. I was responding to the guy with the drug dealer comment again why dont you read first before casting judgements

3rd paragraph.. No one said the pilot was correct in doing what he did. No one would have allowed him to fly. No one would have allowed him to skate his actions and do it again to the next FO. The proper thing to do as EVERYONE has said was to get him to call in sick and to enter some sort of union or otherwise program to get help. By choosing to try and help this guy it also saves the company the publicity. If he refused then EVERYONE would agree, to heck with him and turned him in. You really need to learn how to comprehend what you are reading.

I dont have sympathy for the pilot in question, but I dont believe in destroying peoples lives without giving them every opportunity to make the situation right, this is exactly why these programs and options are available.

As far as being cut from the same cloth, no I dont drink on overnights ever, nice try. It must be really tough on you judging everyone all the time.

I think you should inform all your co-workers just how intolerant you are for any behaviors you dont approve of ( including any mistakes you might make inflight) so that they might hold you to the same standards. No ASAP forms for you just turn in your tickets. Its only fair.

FYI, ASAP form are for mistakes (like crossing a taxiway without permission by mistake) not knowingly showing up for to fly an airplane full of people (or whatever) with so much alcohol in your body. Read the ASAP rules again and it would help you understand that pilots are not 'above' non-pilots!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bunny

clickclickboom said:
Call it what you want pal.. If the guy showed up drunk it is obvious that he was not concerned about entering a treatment program.
The SWA pilot wasn't drunk, you must be confusing your arrested pilots cases.

FlyBunny said:
FYI, ASAP form are for mistakes (like crossing a taxiway without permission by mistake) not knowingly showing up for to fly an airplane full of people (or whatever) with so much alcohol in your body. Read the ASAP rules again and it would help you understand that pilots are not 'above' non-pilots!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bunny

Yes but that runway crossing could cost hundreds of lives, obviously your attention span in that situation was not what it should have been. Why were you tired (should have removed yourself) Not paying attention, well then you have no business in the cockpit. My point is, some people have no tolerance for any mistakes, or any miscalculations by anyone.

I have no idea what your last sentence means. Why would a non pilot fill out an ASAP?

FlyBunny said:
What does 'SCAB' has to do with someone showing up at work with so much alcohol in his/her body?

Bunny
A SCAB has nothing to do with an over the limit pilot, however,
the type of person that would SCAB is also the same type of person that would call the cops instead of handling the situation on the spot internally. Probably because they think they will move up a number, and they have already proven that they will hose anyone to move up a number or two.

FlyBunny said:

Bunny

I think you mean an ASRS form?

The FAA actually has something called an ASAP form, but it's for maintenance reporting issues.

Last edited:
Amish RakeFight said:
I think you mean an ASRS form?

The FAA actually has something called an ASAP form, but it's for maintenance reporting issues.

There are both, the ASAP is used just like the ASRS at the airlines for the same reasons, but for protection from the company.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back