• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental looking for 4 Dispatchers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you think they would hire an ex CAL pilot with a new dispatch cert and no dispatch experience?

I interviewed there once....I really can't say I cared for the looks and feel of the city of Houston....even the native Houstonians I talked to at Continental confirmed it's a hell hole. I didn't see any decent places to live without having an extremely long commute. But the real bum thing in my opinion is the no health benefits for 6 months.....that's just wrong. I know with me having a new baby, there is no way I could consider Continental right now for that very reason.

Ask anyone who has ever had to live in Houston....they could give you plenty of reasons.

Nope. You will have to start with a regional at $12/hour like the rest of us did. Sorry.

Very delightful post. I walk in to HQ today (8 blocks from my house)and talked to the manager of SOC and and HR manager. They seemed responsive. Will hear a bit more by end of week. $36,000 a year seems a bit low, no?

By they way, it seems a little humility goes a long way. As one of the 147 CAL employees laid off out of of 43,000, they seem to understand times are rough, and may be willing to help out a fellow CAL employee. (former)

Start at regional? At a previous company, they would pull people off ramp operations, help pay for some DX school, and presto.... a new dispatcher. I think with the right personality, a major could mold a former pilot who is typed and experienced in 3 of the 4 aircraft they operate.

Enough said about that, anyone know of a good accelerated dispatch school? I think there is one in TX.

Very delightful post. I walk in to HQ today (8 blocks from my house)and talked to the manager of SOC and and HR manager. They seemed responsive. Will hear a bit more by end of week. $36,000 a year seems a bit low, no?

By they way, it seems a little humility goes a long way. As one of the 147 CAL employees laid off out of of 43,000, they seem to understand times are rough, and may be willing to help out a fellow CAL employee. (former)

Start at regional? At a previous company, they would pull people off ramp operations, help pay for some DX school, and presto.... a new dispatcher. I think with the right personality, a major could mold a former pilot who is typed and experienced in 3 of the 4 aircraft they operate.

Enough said about that, anyone know of a good accelerated dispatch school? I think there is one in TX.
Airline Ground Schools in Florence, KY has a week long accelerated program.

There is AFDTC in the DFW area. www.airlinedispatcher.com I did a one week course there in the mid-90's. Cheap and to the point. You have to pass the Dispatcher (ATP) written prior to going to class.
For an experienced pilot I'd suggest looking over Part 65. You really don't need to spend money on a school unless it is needed for test prep. Someone at CAL Dispatch might know a designated examiner that could just give you the checkride once you knock out the written. If in Houston, San Jacinto College has a dispatcher course. Not sure if it's accelerated though.
My opinion...cheaper/quicker=better when it comes to dispatch schools. I'm sure that will annoy some folks who went to "Ivy League" dispatch schools :D.
Hopefully, $36K is for an assistant dispatcher which is temporary in nature. At least cost of living in TX isn't too bad, and it sounds like you could walk to work most days. Dispatch at a major is a good gig. Good luck with it.

Why is Continental looking for 4 dispatchers?

According to a friend of mine who is a CAL dispatcher, several dispatchers quit to follow the $$$$ to the oil companies (non-aviation jobs). They have been working short for a while, but apparently they've decided to fill the positions.

I would consider applying, but I've been out of the profession for a few years, and I'm sure there will be lots of applicants with more current experience. I also don't have any desire to move my family to Houston....especially for a starting pay of $36K, and a max pay of about $65K after 15 years (so my friend says).

According to a friend of mine who is a CAL dispatcher, several dispatchers quit to follow the $$$$ to the oil companies (non-aviation jobs). They have been working short for a while, but apparently they've decided to fill the positions.

I would consider applying, but I've been out of the profession for a few years, and I'm sure there will be lots of applicants with more current experience. I also don't have any desire to move my family to Houston....especially for a starting pay of $36K, and a max pay of about $65K after 15 years (so my friend says).

When I interviewed, I too was told by some of the dispatchers that they were losing a lot of people to the oil companies. Supposedly they would come back from their interviews with the oil companies with big gift baskets full of nice stuff. May not be a bad way to go....if you can't beat em, join em.

Latest resources

Back