Continental Has Deadline for Pilot Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, you are wrong-
We (CAL Pilot Group) have been briefed what the JV means to us.
The thought that we will park our 'heavy iron' and lose flying while the company (and our passengers) fly on others is false in that-
CAL does not make profit if they do not maintain a certain percentage of flying within Star Alliance.

If CAL were to stop flying to Germany (God help us!) and instead sold seats on Lufty and UAL, the profits would be nil, as we are not living up to our part of the agreement.
If, on the other hand.. we started flying to other destinations with those planes now sitting there, we would gain a portion of the profits from those Germany tickets.

The ball is in our court. I do like the point made in the article that
Pilots are asking for a package of wage increases, enhanced retirement benefits and work-rule changes. "It's a $500 million annual increase, which we recognize is an opening position," Pierce said. "We're waiting for a counter."

Opening or not, I do not expect major changes from the opener. If the Union was expecting this, they (we) should have asked for $700 million in increases!

Either way, I'm happy with our Scope where it concerns 70 seat RJ flying and above, and I'm happy with our Scope where it concerns Joint Revenue.

Gonna be an interesting summer and year!
always
motch

Let me add that the FIRST thing I'm looking at when a TA comes out is scope. If I don't like what I see then I will stop reading there. I am also urging EVERYONE I fly with to do the same.

I hope your attitude is the majority! Good luck... I see a lot of kids salivating over the chance at upgrades at regionals that would do the 50+ seat RJ flying.... most can't see the real implications beyond the near term.

Any relaxation of scope, excluding the PROPERLY worded verbiage pertaining to the JV, is an ABSOLUTE NO VOTE! Everyone else I know at CAL feels the same way.

I think the scope they are talking about is the relief on joint venture/ revenue sharing. Not scope pertaining to regional jets. Scope covers many facets.

Get the contract Negotiations finished before any "other" negotiations. Only time will tell if Jeff is out for his pockets or the company.

I'm sure he like everyone else in management. Out for themselves. He's already proven that to the pilot group twice and we're only two months into his "leadership".

Actually, you are wrong-
The thought that we will park our 'heavy iron' and lose flying while the company (and our passengers) fly on others is false in that-

If CAL were to stop flying to Germany (God help us!) and instead sold seats on Lufty and UAL, the profits would be nil, as we are not living up to our part of the agreement.
If, on the other hand.. we started flying to other destinations with those planes now sitting there, we would gain a portion of the profits from those Germany tickets.

The ball is in our court. I do like the point made in the article that
Pilots are asking for a package of wage increases, enhanced retirement benefits and work-rule changes. "It's a $500 million annual increase, which we recognize is an opening position," Pierce said. "We're waiting for a counter."

Opening or not, I do not expect major changes from the opener. If the Union was expecting this, they (we) should have asked for $700 million in increases!

Either way, I'm happy with our Scope where it concerns 70 seat RJ flying and above, and I'm happy with our Scope where it concerns Joint Revenue.

always
motch

Maybe my point came across wrong.

"CAL does not make profit if they do not maintain a certain percentage of flying within Star Alliance."

So you might maintain your block hours, but where does your growth come from?
1. Selling seats on other airlines.
or
2. Increasing frequencies in the markets of the JV.

Growth within CAL is snuffed out while ASM increases come from the partners. You don't have to loose airframes to loose flying.

Maybe my point came across wrong.

"CAL does not make profit if they do not maintain a certain percentage of flying within Star Alliance."

So you might maintain your block hours, but where does your growth come from?
1. Selling seats on other airlines.
or
2. Increasing frequencies in the markets of the JV.

Growth within CAL is snuffed out while ASM increases come from the partners. You don't have to loose airframes to loose flying.

Another facet that most don't realize is that if the flying is done by another member of the star alliance, CAL does receive a portion of the profits but if they actually do the flying themselves, CAL receives a bigger portion of the alliance profits.

Actually, you are wrong-
CAL does not make profit if they do not maintain a certain percentage of flying within Star Alliance.

always
motch

Motch,

I flew with a union type and he said the JV, as it was written, would have allowed United Express to park a bunch of 170s in Houston to fly international routes we have 737s on, like Latin America, Mexico, etc. CAL would have been able to trim off a 737 while still meeting the terms of being in the Star Alliance (also flying the route).

That was the major part of the JV agreement many overlooked. It just doesn't affect widebodies!

Motch,

I flew with a union type and he said the JV, as it was written, would have allowed United Express to park a bunch of 170s in Houston to fly international routes we have 737s on, like Latin America, Mexico, etc. CAL would have been able to trim off a 737 while still meeting the terms of being in the Star Alliance (also flying the route).

That was the major part of the JV agreement many overlooked. It just doesn't affect widebodies!

If a bunch of 170's are parked in Houston to fly some 737 routes, then that would be fine as long as they are flown by pilots on the seniority list of UAL, or CAL, agreed? Death to anything with a "connection", "express", or "eagle" on the side.

Latest resources

Back