• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

suupah

Continental Has Deadline for Pilot Contract

By Ted Reed 02/18/10 - 06:00 AM EST

Stock quotes in this article: CAL , UAUA , DAL , LCC , AMR
HOUSTON (TheStreet) -- Continental (CAL Quote) is negotiating a new pilot contract against a deadline, because regulators have given it until mid-January 2011 to implement a trans-Atlantic joint venture with three partners.

The carrier cannot implement the joint venture, or accompanying trans-Atlantic antitrust immunity, without the consent of its pilots, who are in contract talks. The existing pilot contract's scope clause says Continental cannot enter into a revenue-sharing agreement with a domestic carrier without its pilots' consent. In the joint venture, United(UAUA Quote) would be a Continental partner.

"There's a window of opportunity for Continental this year, and the pilot group controls that window right now," said Jay Pierce, chairman of the Continental chapter of the Air Line Pilots Association, in an interview. "It's a tremendous opportunity for everyone to benefit. They will get the scope relief they need and we will get out from under this concessionary contract that we have lived under since 2005."

A template for Continental and its pilots may have been established at Delta(DAL Quote), where pilots agreed to a merger with Northwest and received raises and improved working conditions as a result. "Delta recognized that it was worth investing a little money in the pilot group to get the pilot group's support," Pierce said. "If a corporation has confidence in a business plan, they should be willing to invest a little money in making it happen."

The Continental pilots contract became amendable Dec. 31, 2008. Pilots are asking for a package of wage increases, enhanced retirement benefits and work-rule changes. "It's a $500 million annual increase, which we recognize is an opening position," Pierce said. "We're waiting for a counter."

Continental spokeswoman Julie King said the U.S. Transportation had a reason for allocating 18 months for implementation when it approved the joint venture on July 10. "There are a number of open items related to governance and commercial issues that we are working through on the joint venture, including discussions concerning our pilot's scope clause," she said.

Among the network carriers, two models exist for pilot relations. Pilots at Continental and Delta have generally enjoyed positive relationships with the carriers. Pierce said he is an admirer of Lee Moak, chairman of the Delta ALPA chapter; the two talk frequently. "We both recognize that our airlines need to be profitable," he said.

By contrast, United(UAUA Quote) and American(U Quote) have historically had difficult relationships with pilots, who have tended to oppose whatever moves the airlines seek to make. That situation may be changing, however. Wendy Morse, recently elected to be chairman of the United ALPA chapter, is more moderate than her predecessor, and pilot union elections are scheduled at American.

At US Airways(symbol Quote), pilots have been fighting among themselves since a controversial seniority ruling followed a 2005 merger with America West. Last month, the National Mediation Board assigned a mediator to long-stalled contract talks. Some union leaders say that could help the two pilot groups bridge the gap that separates them and develop a cohesive approach towards the airline. Many pilots now appear to oppose the concessionary approach that enabled the airline to survive two bankruptcies.

In general, Continental pilots face the same overriding issue as other pilot groups. During the industry crisis that followed a steep slowdown in travel exacerbated by the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, the airline industry downsized and moved to reduce costs.

Four network carriers stripped down labor contracts during bankruptcies, while Continental and American avoided bankruptcy but negotiated concessions with their unions. Now, as the industry's health has seemingly improved, pilots are seeking to be compensated for their sacrifices. In April 2005, Continental pilots made concessions valued at about $213 million.

"The pilot group is very upset with that contract," Pierce said. "We are either going to repair it or go down the path of labor unrest, (National Mediation Board) interaction and messages to the public that the wonderful world of Continental labor is not so wonderful anymore."

Among the issues are low salaries for starting pilots. A first officer on a Boeing 757 can be paid as little as $29,000 a year, with no health insurance for his first six months. (A 12-year 757 captain makes $166,000.) Another point of contention, which flared up during recent East Coast snowstorms, is that pilots who missed trips due to bad weather did not receive any compensation, a result of losing pay protection provisions in 2005.

The current contract talks represent a challenge for Jeff Smisek, who replaced Larry Kellner as CEO on Jan. 1. "Mr. Smisek has not reached out to labor yet, not to anywhere near the level Mr. Kellner did," Pierce said. "It has not been the same relationship. A new contract will be an indicator of how he perceives labor."

-- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.

http://www.thestreet.com/print/story/10683638.html

sorry if already posted elsewhere

"There's a window of opportunity for Continental this year, and the pilot group controls that window right now," said Jay Pierce, chairman of the Continental chapter of the Air Line Pilots Association, in an interview. "It's a tremendous opportunity for everyone to benefit. They will get the scope relief they need and we will get out from under this concessionary contract that we have lived under since 2005."

That's just great! One of the last decent scope rules around, and yet we have another mainline pilot group willing to give it up for a small pay raise and some minor QOL related issues. ALPO could mess up a wet dream. When will enough members of this profession learn the lessons from the past. 5 years from now I better damned well not hear a CAL pilot complain about how much of their flying is being outsourced to the scum bag regionals, and how all these regionals guys are taking their work. How can people be this freakin dumb?

Hurray! Get rid of that pesky good-for-nothing scope!

Is this a requirement enforced by the regulators?

That would be amazing...an actual requirement enforced by government regulators.

I'm sure someone will grease a politician to have the agency regulating this requirement disbanded or have it changed in some way to favor the crooked management.

That's just great! One of the last decent scope rules around, and yet we have another mainline pilot group willing to give it up for a small pay raise and some minor QOL related issues. ALPO could mess up a wet dream. When will enough members of this profession learn the lessons from the past. 5 years from now I better damned well not hear a CAL pilot complain about how much of their flying is being outsourced to the scum bag regionals, and how all these regionals guys are taking their work. How can people be this freakin dumb?

This is a different facet of scope entirely. This has nothing to do with farming out 737 flying to regionals. This has to do with an Atlantic JV. This COULD, I'm not saying will but COULD work out great for both sides.

Let me add that the FIRST thing I'm looking at when a TA comes out is scope. If I don't like what I see then I will stop reading there. I am also urging EVERYONE I fly with to do the same.

Taken from another thread before I knew what exactly was being discussed. I saw the word scope and freaked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamba20
I hope I'm taking your post out of context here. Scope is not leverage! It is job security, especially for the B3. We cannot allow our union or our pilot group to even hint a relaxing our scope clause. It actually needs to be strengthened.

CAL management is all about outsourcing our mainline jobs to the lowest bidder. We cannot allow this to happen. Call/write your reps!

I think you misunderstand what scope relief the company is looking for in a joint venture. We are not talking about scope relief that would let Republic or some other low bidder to come in and fly 70 seat jets. The scope relief that the company will need from us is that which will allow them to enter into a joint venture / revenue sharing agreement with UAL and others on trans atlantic and trans pacific routes. This is the same relief they were looking for in September 08 when we didn't give in and they took 147 pilots hostage. Our current language does not allow for this. This is a good thing for us. This is major leverage. This is why the union hasn't given in on this yet. The company needs this relief from us before December or the Joint Venture approval is dead in the water. With the appropriate language in place, this can be a good deal. When I say appropriate language, I am referring to language that prohibits outsourcing of current routes to another transatlantic carrier and language that specifies an amount or percentage of flying that can be done by a JV partner. We have the upper hand in this deal an management knows it. If we play our cards right, we can give them the joint venture scope relief they need while putting in place language that will protect our jobs (i.e. the UAL -Aerlingus deal), ensure growth, bring back the furloughs and ink a new contract. No recall of furloughs, no new contract, no relief for the join venture, period!

This is a different facet of scope entirely. This has nothing to do with farming out 737 flying to regionals. This has to do with an Atlantic JV. This COULD, I'm not saying will but COULD work out great for both sides.

Are you kidding?? No, it won't farm out the 737 flying, but it WILL farm out the wide body flying. Your growth will come from selling seats on alliance partners aircraft, not increasing capacity with new iron. Learn from our mistakes. Look at the number of UAL 747-400's and 767's that we parked, but the number of international destinations we serve has increased.

Are you kidding?? No, it won't farm out the 737 flying, but it WILL farm out the wide body flying. Your growth will come from selling seats on alliance partners aircraft, not increasing capacity with new iron. Learn from our mistakes. Look at the number of UAL 747-400's and 767's that we parked, but the number of international destinations we serve has increased.

Not if the right language is in it that protect the CAL pilot group. We have to take a very close look at and constantly look over our unions shoulder to make sure they are doing what is in the best interest of the pilot group, not just the top 3rd. As I said above, scope is the first thing I will look at and could very possibly be the last thing I look at before I ink a "NO" vote.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back