• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Continental Actually furoughs.. this sucks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just out of curiosity, is there any historical precedent for furloughing while making money? I don't remember this ever being done anywhere in the past.

PIPE
Is any investor analysts predicting Continental to be profitable for the 3rd or 4th quarters? I doubt any of the domestic capacity being reduced is actually profitable.

Do you really think Continental (and all other airlines except Southwest) took these bigger than normal post Labor Day reductions because they wanted to or were scared by the cash burn rates that $4/gallon Jet A created a few months ago?

Drill more now, conserve, nuclear, and alternative. We need more of all 4 right now to send the right message to the energy speculators or this industry is going to continue to get worse before getting better.

Last edited:
From my understanding they wanted us to allow them to do revenue sharing with United and Luftansa Airlines as part of our new Star Alliance membership. The alliance doesn't take effect for another year so I don't think they are in any hurry. The hurry was to get the LOA passed before the pilots were furloughed. I don't agree with managements actions but I think it is important to understand the thought process of the ones sitting across the table from you.

For your "Understanding"
It never mentioned United by name! First NO
It would allow a revenue sharing between any DOMESTIC carrier on International flights, no matter size of aircraft! Second NO

Motch-

Trying to make sure everyone knows all the FACTS before making a decision!

I just wanted to mention that 6 out of the 16 in my class took COLA 10. Don't know about the rest of 2007 but they hired some good folks into Oct 9 2007.

Good luck to all, and I hope the cola helps.

Paul.. could you go to CalForums and see my thread about the LTVRF's.. love to add their names!

If you're not a member, could you PM me the info!

Thanks
Motch

Just out of curiosity, is there any historical precedent for furloughing while making money? I don't remember this ever being done anywhere in the past.

PIPE
I'm pretty sure Trans States has never lost money but they furlough all the time.

how refreshing...a SWA guy taking a cheap shot while guys are hitting the streets at CAL. i know you are in the minority at SWA. please don't influence the majority and ruin your own place of work.

I was thinking the same thing. Contrary to what most think not everyone wants to work at SWA. I have nothing but respect for the company but its just not my style. I have plenty of time, PIC, a 73 type and I have honestly never applied to SWA.

I have also always found their crews to be humble and respectful. There are always exceptions of course.

I just don't see how furloughing all these first year pilots saves any money with the re-training and base movements that will occur because of the furloughs.

I just don't see how furloughing all these first year pilots saves any money with the re-training and base movements that will occur because of the furloughs.

It won't save money. The furloughs are an attempt by management to get CAL pilots to cave on our scope. CAL is paying for a frikkin' parking lot at a Florida airport for one exec that costs about the same as what the furloughees would have made in a year. This isn't about cost savings, no matter how they want to present it.

Latest resources

Back