• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Constant Descent Arrivals...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We could be a lot greener if they (DL rampers/gate agents) could hook up the ground power faster, but that would require an actual gate agent to in the jetway on our arrival and two for them to be able to actually work the jetway. How many minutes of fuel and exhaust have we sent into the air waiting on these clowns?!?!?

We probably could get "greener" still if ATL would cut down on its smog. Unfortunately, our engines contribute only a very small amount to this unpleasant pollution. Studies have shown clearly that 75% of ATL smog is comprised of the smoke emissions from crack rock combustion.

-Get the crackheads to move away, and the skies would magically clear right up! Of course, getting this to happen would be about as likely as getting Roise O'Donnell into the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition.

-Good Luck!

We probably could get "greener" still if ATL would cut down on its smog. Unfortunately, our engines contribute only a very small amount to this unpleasant pollution. Studies have shown clearly that 75% of ATL smog is comprised of the smoke emissions from crack rock combustion.

-Get the crackheads to move away, and the skies would magically clear right up! Of course, getting this to happen would be about as likely as getting Roise O'Donnell into the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition.

-Good Luck!
Very true!!! And 99% of those people are DL rampers!

So the other day I was the first at the aircraft..C42..hot outside...asked the ramper who was relaxed on his tug if he would please hook up the ground air..Nah man..aint workin...called ops and they said they had no reported problems...fired up the APU.
Nice and cool at Deltas expense...it was working..just another lazy ramper costing Delta money...if the mother ship looked at it like that of course with a RIF in hand..I bet stuff like that would change.

It's been working great at LAX for about a year now. The ILS clearance comes about 50 miles out, and the altitudes on the arrival on the approach make it so you can do a power off descent until about 15 miles out..

The main goal is not necessarily to save fuel, but to reduce congestion on the frequency by having a profile descent arrival that the pilot can conform to when given, ideally, one clearance on the arrival and one more when joining the localizer. It works well if pilots pay attention to speed and the posted altitude restrictions along the way. That allows the controller to simply monitor for conformance, and occasionally make small adjustments--if someone ahead of you screws up. It reduces both pilot and controller workload.

It is nothing much different than we do now, except that the controller will not be holding your hand, and giving you the step down altitudes. It will make our jobs much easier. The biggest adjustment is getting used to the radio silence that will occasionally exist when everything is going right with all the arrivals. Pilots will love it!

It has worked well in LAX for several years, and allows for more traffic to be handled safer--it everyone on the arrival is conforming. The only ATC chatter will be for the exceptions.

ATL controllers are a great bunch, but they will tweak the crap out of this. They bailed on the descend-via arrivals pretty quick last time we tried it. Same for the speed traps now.

The pilots are so accustomed to questioning wether or not they want us to comply, it actually creates more chatter.

The isolated airspace island of ATL has made our controllers this way. They are fantastic controllers, just different.

Hey, don't worry PPAS is working great at OH. Anytime I can save big D money I'm all for it.(middle finger inserted) The only tools using PPAS now are lifers at OH. Go green!

The only green I care about is how much is in my wallet.

Goat
Ditto,
I would stuff kittens, puppies and baby seals into the tank for a $1.00 an hour more!
PBR

might as well call it the ASAP3 as the ASAP reports will be filled out quite rapidly......

Latest resources

Back