• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Considering CAPT? BE WARNED!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Who in the world would pay 90k for ratings? Are there people out there that are really that stupid? Tell me you are kidding.

We are all paying for a job. Whether we're training in the military (payment in the form of blood, sweat, and tears) or in the "Zero-to-Hero" program de jour of the many pilot factories, we are all paying. And we keep paying. We take low-paying jobs, accepting sub-standard work conditions (mx/DO pressure, etc.), find part-time work -- all this just to have a flying job.

My wife is amazed at the people in aviation. We all shoulder a great deal of risk and debt for the chance of a high-paying job. I can't imagine many bookies would take those odds. "How do you make a small fortune in aviation...." It's true.

You think airplane training is bad, look at the civilian helo training costs. Unions have just started coming in over the last few years. Double your training cost and reduce the top-end potential earning by 50% or so. But we never want to leave aviation. To make the good wages, you are on the raod for months at a time. There aren't 3-day trips with 5 at home. QOL sux.

I'm just greatful my wife has a real job, and I get to stay in Neverland.

Well said. I completely agree.
Coming from a communist who shelled out THOUSANDS for his job. Way to go! You are the reason the industry is the way it is.

I didn't shell out anything for my job. I was hired on my own merits. I did pay for a training program in a Be-1900D.

She says it isn't about money, huh? What do you call that check will all those zeros on it that you so eagerly handed to GIA so they would let you play pilot?

What a disgrace.

It isn't about money. You could die tomorrow from a car wreck or next year from cancer. I wanted to up my resume after 9/11. It worked out good for me. My resume is ready for the Legacy's. Especially since I just passed my second type rating and have over 2000 turbine PIC at the age of 25. You my friend are a disgrace. You judge others and bash fellow pilots.

Oh, well then just another Broad who thinks she knows it all.

I do know a lot. But, I do not pretend to know it all. I love to teach, and that drives me to expand the minds of other pilots.

Good luck to all of you.

Swass,

There are people out there that have rich parents that will pay whatever you bill them for flight training. The way to hit these people is to ask them if they want flight training with that $90k or flight training plus a nice car.

To some, money is simply not an issue.

And you would continue to be wrong sir, because I can't make the financials work out to be able to get into the regionals!

With my monthly expenses projected to be the following:

CAPT Loan: $980
College Loan: $110
Rent/Crashpad: $300
Food: $150
Cell Phone: $50
Car Insurance: $120
Gas: $100
Misc: $100
TOTAL: $1910/Month

This is what I'll be short each month based on reserve guarantee take home (gross - federal single filing; state, FICA, etc. NOT deducted):

Pinnacle:
($557.00) - 1st Year
($323.68) - 2nd Year

ASA:
($667.29) - 1st year

American Eagle (Turboprop):
($412.29) - 1st Year
($284.79) - 2nd Year
($93.54) - 3rd Year

American Eagle (Turbojet):
($348.54) - 1st Year

ExpressJet:
($476.04) - 1st Year

Air Wisconsin (CRJ):
($348) - 1st Year

PSA:
($539.79) - 1st Year
($157.29) - 2nd Year
($29.79) - 3rd Year

SkyWest (CRJ):
($667.29) - 1st Year

SkyWest (EMB):
($667.29) - 1st Year
($157.29) - 2nd Year
($93.54) - 3rd Year
($29.79) - 4th Year

These are MONTHLY shortage in funds just to break even! Of course this does not consider per diem and state/local/FICA which I'm going to assume will be a wash. I don't even know if these regionals will require employee contribution to health insurance so the monthly picture could be worse than what I outlined.

So, Russian, tell me again how if I wanted this I could get into it today? Are you going to supplement my monthly deficit? Please...don't insult me.

I'd appreciate it if you stick to the spirit of the thread, which is to warn prospective students looking at the CAPT program that they are not to be trusted or event entertained, far less sign up with.

First off, I NEVER insulted you. You have insulted yourself for not trying. Many pilots at my airline have a second job. They wanted to be a pilot, and they are paying their dues to pay off their loans and eat food. If you really loved it you would do whatever it takes.

You can warn people all you want about the CAPT program. However, preaching to this board is a waste of time. We all know the downfalls of aviation when it comes to training programs vs. cash.

First of all, must you quote my entire message and clutter the thread? Second of all, don't be making generalizations about how if I really want it, I can make it happen. As someone who "loves to teach" maybe you should take a few lessons on reality. Don't go thinking you got a solution to my problems until you walked in my shoes. For a chick, I'm very surprised at your approach to my situation. I'd think you'd be more rational about it. But whatever.

As for the CAPT deal, I'll keep my own counsel about why I warn people about it. And you'd be wrong again for believing that everyone knows the downfalls of aviation. Again, take a few more lessons.

First of all, must you quote my entire message and clutter the thread? Second of all, don't be making generalizations about how if I really want it, I can make it happen. As someone who "loves to teach" maybe you should take a few lessons on reality. Don't go thinking you got a solution to my problems until you walked in my shoes. For a chick, I'm very surprised at your approach to my situation. I'd think you'd be more rational about it. But whatever.

As for the CAPT deal, I'll keep my own counsel about why I warn people about it. And you'd be wrong again for believing that everyone knows the downfalls of aviation. Again, take a few more lessons.

The fact that you are getting pi$$ed at me boggles my mind. You aren't even listening to what I have to say. You just put a brick wall up and say, "I can't do it!". I am not at all making generalizations about you or your situation. You have told me your situation and I am telling you what you can do to get your aviation career started.

As a regional FO, you will have 11-16 days off a month to work another job. If you wait tables or bartend, you can make up to 200 dollars a day in most places. This will allow you to pay your bills. You can also pick up extra flight time at you airline. This will get you more pay and a faster upgrade. Some companies will allow you to work in other departments on you days off. There again, is extra cash.

You can call you loan company and change your payment. Or, you can not pay them at all. To the creditor: F$%@ them. Get your job and pay them later. Your credit will suck for a few years, but who cares. If you dont want to pay them, just enroll part time in community college. It will cost less than paying them, and you don't even have to go to class. Fail every one if you want. If you are enrolled in a school, by law, you do not have to pay. This will not hurt your credit at all.

The shortages you post are too small to make an excuse for. It sounds to me as if you are doing this to yourself just to prove a point. Your point is "CAPT SUX". While we all know that, you seem to be the most affected by it. You can choose not to be. Get off your butt and get a job!

Just trying to help,

Russian

Who's getting pi$$ed? I'm just being very matter of fact. So, let's go over your strategy here. No regional that I know of will hire me with the amount of total time I have on the books. So everything else I'm about to say is pretty pointless, but I got time...

11-16 days off...are you including days that I sit on reserve and not get a call from scheduling? And what job is going to just let me walk off the premise because the bat phone rang?

What company will let me work in other departments? Doing what? How much does that pay? How many hours can I expect monthly?

Tell my creditor to kiss off isn't my style. And the last thing I want to do is to add more interest on my alraedy astronomical debt. Did you even look at what my monthly loan payment is? The going back to school to fail classes is a great idea I must say. Can I take just one class at 3 credits or do I have to be a full time student to take advantage of that? If I have to go full time, that means I'll be paying the college instead of the creditors. Sounds like I rather just pay the creditors to me.

I don't need standard textbook responses to my situation. I need real world applicable solutions that won't sink me further into the quicksand I'm in. For your information, I do have a job...back with the industry that hasn't fracked me...so that I can deposit my pay checks to my creditors. I can't do that on a regional FO pay. Sorry Charlie, or Betty, or whatever you want to be called.

I think your best intentions would be to mail me a lotto ticket for the next drawing. That at least would suggest a sincere desire to help. Everything else is just ineffective suggestions in my situation.

Thanks for your help.

Ok so do you have your instructor ratings or not?? If not then your a dumbass for spending that much and not having them. If you do have them then get off your ass and instruct like the rest of us bending over and grabing our ankles for the job we want. But seriously why did you go to Riddle and consider spend 100k on flight training if you couldn't afford it. Didn't you have an idea what your loan payment would be before you dug yourself a hole??

I don't have my CFI and didn't get that from CAPT. And I figured out the financials before I went to CAPT and determined that if they delivered me to the airlines and I got hired I'd be able to make monthly payments. However, because of their mismanagement, my training lasted 5 months longer than expected, and that translated to a lot more cost of living which resulted in my financial hole. The fact that they said to me that they have 7-9 airline interviews that were guaranteed, I figured 1 airline out of 7-9 would hire me. After all, CAPT did put me through their screening process that they developed which they said was equivalent to what I'll be seeing at the airlines...so if I can pass theirs... Or so they said...

Even if 0 airlines hired me out of those 7-9, at least 7-9 airlines all agree that I suck. But, I never had that opportunity. Why? Because CAPT had ZERO guaranteed interviews. So to answer your question, I didn't think it was going to end up to be $100k after it was all said and done. And before I got into my multi-engine phase, I had to decide if I wanted to finish what I started (which means take more money out) or quit (and go home with nothing). Well, I decided to finish what I started but looking back, quitting probably would have been easier on the wallet because both decisions would have landed me exactly where I am today (career wise).

Bottom line, if they can do me dirty, anyone thinking about going to CAPT should keep in mind that they are fully capable of doing you dirty. Believe me, I'm not the only victim of CAPT...I may be the loudest voice in the victims pool, but I'm not alone.

TO ALL:

Flying Ninja = Sour Grapes. Plain and simple. Just read this individuals posts on this board and others. He spews the same stuff over and over. YES - You got GANKED. We all know. Since you first began spreading this drivel, you have been offered countless plausible solutions to you plight, yet all you do is say it can't work and you're screwed. We should all feel so bad for you. Guess what, most people in this world really don't care. In my opinion, you're someone who thought he'd leapfrog everyone with some flashy program and ended up getting ganked. If you really wanted to fly, you could. There are just too many feasible options that would allow you to do so, yet you just complain complain complain. You ae unwilling to pursue any oppourtunities and rather remain bitter. I don't think you really want it bad enough anyways.

Personally, with your attitude which I recognize from these boards, it is best you remain outside of the flightdeck. Your attitude is poor, disgruntled and seemingly closed-minded.

Latest resources

Back