• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Consequences for delaying a flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JESUS, I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START. I'VE NEVER SEEN SO MANY LIMP-D1CKED, PANTY-WEARING AIRLINE PILOTS ON ONE THREAD.

AA717driverAt AA:
you don't control the airplane until the door is closed (and most of the time, Dispatch thinks you NEVER control the airplane).
P.S.--Although that mentality may be changing. They're getting tired of being led around by the d1cks by groudpounders.

I hope to never be on youR plane when a command decision must be made.
"The engines on fire, what should I do? The door's still open, call Dispatch and find out what they did with my nuts."

Here's a novel concept: You be in charge when you check in and alleviate some of the decision making from those overworked, $7.00/hr high school grads.

SDCFI:
You don't own that plane, the taxpayers do! Good for you for wanting to help out the pax, but if the company says go...you go. Maybe they have a compelling reason you don't know about to get going. If you stick your neck out and delay a flight for a non safety-related reason don't be surprised if it gets cut off.

Guess that's not all that gets cut off, huh Shirley? I'd bet big money you let Dispatch decide your alternate for you, too.

ferlo:
This isn't the pilots problem...bfd

Are you really "ferloed"? Gee, I wonder why? Too bad, so sad. Boo-hoo for you.

AND YOU WONDER WHY NOONE RESPECTS YOU ANYMORE?
NOBODY TELLS THE CAPTAIN WHAT TO DO! NOT GATE AGENTS, NOT DISPATCH, NOT MID-LEVEL MANAGERS, NOT THE CEO, NOT EVEN GOD!
FROM THE MOMENT YOU SHOW YOUR PRETTY FACE, YOUR KILLER "HEY THERE" SMILE WITH THOSE SHINEY ROCKPORTS, YOU BETTER BE THE ONE IN CHARGE!

Last edited:
I always like hearing the few pilots who think they know not only how to fly the airplane but also are well skilled in everything else pertaining to the flight like holds for pax, gate assignments, a/c swaps, mx delays, etc, etc

We strictly have a set group of people in our ops at FL that look at connections and nothing but connections...they call the pax movement person in SOC to confirm holds and then a decision is made....early afternoon holds are rare b/c you make that airplane late at 3 or 4 pm then it comes back late to ATL causing more issues on our big push at 9:00pm...we're not perfect but we have a goal each night we try to meet...

717 Capt last week wanted to hold for 2 pax(yes 2) despite the fact that 115 others were already on board and the plane carrying those two pax hadn't even hit the outer marker yet with dept time in 5 min. And boy was he firm..."I'm NOT LEAVING until they are taken care of!" He left 5 min later and said "you better not put this on me!" To which I replied "why would I put a station hold on the crew? The code is either an OD (Ops decision) or SH (station hold)... the pax were put on the next MCO flight which was 1 hour later!

No question you were dealing the opposite extreme of some of the above poster children. The rules airlines have in place for connects are good and serve everyone. We're talking about the 'runnners', the agents too stressed to make common sense decisions and yes, sometimes dispatch.
I had one dispatcher tell me to 'get going' because he was going to miss his holiday bash. I said 'no' and he reported me. I was commended and he was fired.

Wow...get going all b/c of a party...unreal! Yeah sometimes the agents are not well skilled in quick decision making. I try to tell them that once in a while if we're not available to make a call to supervisor or examine the situation, talk to crew, the ramp supe, whoever and do something...I think you're right..they're overstressed and don't understand things....nor do they know what PIC really means

JESUS, I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START. I'VE NEVER SEEN SO MANY LIMP-D1CKED, PANTY-WEARING AIRLINE PILOTS ON ONE THREAD.

AA717driverAt AA:
you don't control the airplane until the door is closed (and most of the time, Dispatch thinks you NEVER control the airplane).
P.S.--Although that mentality may be changing. They're getting tired of being led around by the d1cks by groudpounders.

I hope to never be on youR plane when a command decision must be made.
"The engines on fire, what should I do? The door's still open, call Dispatch and find out what they did with my nuts."

Here's a novel concept: You be in charge when you check in and alleviate some of the decision making from those overworked, $7.00/hr high school grads.

AND YOU WONDER WHY NOONE RESPECTS YOU ANYMORE?
NOBODY TELLS THE CAPTAIN WHAT TO DO! NOT GATE AGENTS, NOT DISPATCH, NOT MID-LEVEL MANAGERS, NOT THE CEO, NOT EVEN GOD!
FROM THE MOMENT YOU SHOW YOUR PRETTY FACE, YOUR KILLER "HEY THERE" SMILE WITH THOSE SHINEY ROCKPORTS, YOU BETTER BE ONE 'IN-CHARGE MUTHAF&CKER' OR YOU'LL PAY FOR IT IN THE END.

Crashpad,
Get a grip. You obviously do not where aa717driver is coming from. You made his point spectacularly...although you missed it completely.

I always like hearing the few pilots who think they know not only how to fly the airplane but also are well skilled in everything else pertaining to the flight like holds for pax, gate assignments, a/c swaps, mx delays, etc, etc

We strictly have a set group of people in our ops at FL that look at connections and nothing but connections...they call the pax movement person in SOC to confirm holds and then a decision is made....early afternoon holds are rare b/c you make that airplane late at 3 or 4 pm then it comes back late to ATL causing more issues on our big push at 9:00pm...we're not perfect but we have a goal each night we try to meet...

I always like hearing the few ops guys who think they actually know how to run an airline. For every example you give, I can cite 10 where SOC and crew scheduling get together and totally screw things up.

Make a decision and stick to it, whatever it is. But: there is probably another flight to KXXX pretty soon; we have all seen a 5 min. delay turn in to a much longer one on the other side of the leg--that is to say "sched. integrity demands that one gets while the gettin is good." Etc. etc. Sometimes, and I hate to admit it, other folks have an eye on the most accurate depiction of the bigger picture. And out times rule.

Matter of fact I had a trivial delay on departure last week lead me in to an hour of holding in to SLC. I would have beaten that funk on to the ground if I had been out on time. Bottom line:: Delays beget more delays.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back