Congress to Hold News Conference to Announce Air Safety Improvement 2:30EST

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AirTran doesn't do a sim ride, either.

You can go to www.congress.gov or www.senate.gov and both sites will link you to the http://thomas.loc.gov site where you can search all legislation, including all the changes it went through during the process (adding riders, removing and changing language, etc). You can even search by keyword within the system which is a very cool feature for finding exactly what you need.

As far as I can tell, they're going to be pushing for the House vote on this by the beginning of September, sending it to the Senate, vote by the beginning of October, hopefully signed by the President by Halloween, if not Thanksgiving.

AirTran doesn't do a sim ride, either.

You can go to www.congress.gov or www.senate.gov and both sites will link you to the http://thomas.loc.gov site where you can search all legislation, including all the changes it went through during the process (adding riders, removing and changing language, etc). You can even search by keyword within the system which is a very cool feature for finding exactly what you need.

As far as I can tell, they're going to be pushing for the House vote on this by the beginning of September, sending it to the Senate, vote by the beginning of October, hopefully signed by the President by Halloween, if not Thanksgiving.

Thanks for those links if that was directed at my previous question.

It doesn't say sim ride. Basically, it says "Access the person's aviation experience". Doesn't say use a sim, this is left to interpretation.

Not saying it's good or bad, just saying that it doesn't sound to me to make a simulator mandatory.

DAL does some phycho test, I'm sure they will justify that.

SWA does a situational interview (like an Emergency procedure "stand-up")

This rule will change nothing.

The only rule that will require management to get a work around it the ATP requirement. They will find a way.

This legislation will pass because it changes nothing. Standard ops for our legislature. A whole lot of hot air which amounts to nothing.

And wow, a year to implement crew rest changes. This is asking for a lawsuit. The Government acknowledges there is something potentially unsafe regarding airline rest requirements, but then allows this to go on for another year.

I've never understood how the military and the FAA are both run by the government, but as far as flying, they have different rules.

Duty time should be 12 hours max, and minimum rest should be 12 hours after a duty day. Simple.

This will change nothing as it stands. The FAA changes which might get implemented some day were the only real hope.

It doesn't say sim ride. Basically, it says "Access the person's aviation experience". Doesn't say use a sim, this is left to interpretation.

Not saying it's good or bad, just saying that it doesn't sound to me to make a simulator mandatory.

DAL does some phycho test, I'm sure they will justify that.

SWA does a situational interview (like an Emergency procedure "stand-up")

This rule will change nothing.

The only rule that will require management to get a work around it the ATP requirement. They will find a way.

This legislation will pass because it changes nothing. Standard ops for our legislature. A whole lot of hot air which amounts to nothing.

And wow, a year to implement crew rest changes. This is asking for a lawsuit. The Government acknowledges there is something potentially unsafe regarding airline rest requirements, but then allows this to go on for another year.

I've never understood how the military and the FAA are both run by the government, but as far as flying, they have different rules.

Duty time should be 12 hours max, and minimum rest should be 12 hours after a duty day. Simple.

This will change nothing as it stands. The FAA changes which might get implemented some day were the only real hope.

Actually, the summary says (emphasis added by me):

Establishes comprehensive pre-employment screening of prospective pilots including an assessment of a pilot’s skills, aptitudes, airmanship and suitability for functioning in the airline’s operational environment.

Its going to depend on the actual language of the bill, the intent of the language, how its ultimately interpreted, and what the regulations promulgated from the law is written, and how those regulations are interpreted, etc, etc.;)

You can read the rest of the summary here:
http://transportation.house.gov/Med...t/Airline Safety and Pilot Training Intro.pdf

Last edited:
It's better this way. You don't want congress making the rest rule changes, what the hell do they know about it? Nothing. There giving it to the FAA to make the right changes as it should be. More than likely they'll take care of all those duty hour regs and such that everyone wants. Hey I'm furloughed too and want to go back just as bad as the next guy out on the street, and so I'm glad the FAA is handling this and not the other way around. Tougher rest rules will require more staffing. If they implement new rules by the beginning of next summer, then the airlines will be forced to recall and have everyone trained BEFORE the rule is in place.

Latest resources

Back