Compass cancer growing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetflier

Lately Compass has been flying NWA routes with NWA flight numbers.

A DC9 crew showed up at their gate only to find that a Compass aircraft was flying their flight, and Dispatch never told crew scheduling about the change.
Read on:

"For those that trashed their Feb Airline Pilot Mag. or those that may have read theirs, I wanted to get comments on these notable quotes.

To start off , I was shocked at the cover caption also as has been pointed out in other threads. But, on further reading of the articles, I was surprised to find these quotes, especially in the �COMPASS PILOTS PLOT NEW COURSE� By John Perkinson, staff writer

Under: Compromised Beginnings;

�Specifically, the Northwest pilots expressed concerns about how management might outsource routes for the airline�s DC-9- an aging fleet the airline is in the process of retiring� So much for concern��.they are flying our segments with our flight numbers now and not just -9 but 320 segments also.

Under: Airline within an airline;

� �If compass expands its operation to include pilot bases in Detroit and Memphis,� says Hay, �the Compass pilots would be represented by Northwest LEC20 in Detroit and Northwest LEC 54 in Memphis� � MEMPHIS LEC IS 74, must be a typo, or Ron Hay one of the NWA pilots appointed by the MEC to negotiate the Compass contract must have been misquoted about MEM and the ALPA staff writer, John Perkinson doesn�t check. his facts out in his articles.

�Continental Express pilots had separate status representatives (i.e., a captain rep, a first offer rep) within the LEC configuration, Northwest and Compass pilots at the same base are represented by same status reps� Now I�m confused, don�t we, Northwest have CA, FO, SO reps in our LEC�s

Under: With a little help form their friends;

In bold red type, �The future of the Compass pilot group looks promising-the Northwest airline family has embraced the Compass pilots, and the Northwest MEC is devoting substantial resources to the presentation of Compass pilots� SUBSTANTIAL RESOURCES!!!!!!!!!

� �Several meetings have transpired involving the discussion of ideas, issues, and general pilot concerns. The RedTail News e-newsletter is a direct result of that ongoing dialogue and will serve as a vehicle to build unity within the Northwest family of flying.� Barnett says�
Ron Barnett is the other NWA pilot appointed by the NWA MEC. Where do I find the � The RedTail News e-newsletter� ?

Under: Future;

�Beginning in early 2010, Compass pilots will flow into entry-level pilot positions at Northwest at a rate of 20 per month� It looks like they are already flowing in but with their planes and our routes.

�and the Northwest MEC is devoting substantial resources to the presentation of Compass pilots. For all these reasons, the future of the Compass pilot group looks promising� Great, glad to know their future looks promising with our �substantial resources�.

Not to keep up these great quotes for Airline Pilot but, from the next article �Committee Corner�

Under: Communication are fundamental;

� �People need to be convinced to act,� said Pete Janhunen, assistant director in ALPA�s Communication Department� I�m soooo glad that our communication from the MEC has been pivotal in making the line pilot �convinced to act�!!!!!!!!

Under: Show and Tell;

The communication committee at JAZZ �provides new pilots with several useful materials like new-hire checklists and a flow chart explaining the intricacies of reserve duty� We could only wish for this from NWAALPA for not only the new-hires/returning furloughs but also for the line pilot now.

It goes on�..

ALASKA �negotiated and entire day for ALPA volunteers to spend with new-hires during their training/indoc, --- to provide an overview of how to bid schedules, a review of both company and ALPA benefits, and other practical tips� Must be great at our new hire classes, we bid using Carman, put in what you wish for, you won�t get it. You get a line called infeasible, get use to it you have it for years to come. Oh if you want to learn how to bid by computer, it�s online. Not current but it may help. You will still be infeasible though, you junior..

Sorry to rant on so long but its amazing the information that is published in �Airline Pilot�."

I don't know anything about the flight numbers, but it is no secret about some of the routes we fly for the red tail!!!

After reading that artical in airline mag I myself thought that working for Compass would be a great opportunity. Now thinking about the future; how could Compass offer a flow through program to NWA when most of the routes are going to be Compass? Whats the point??

The Compass flight to GRB was a contract violation. We'll grieve it, win it, and another group of NWA pilots will get a big check for it...just like they got last month for the CAL Scope grievance.

Some mid-level drone (a Planner in the SOC, probably) put the CPZ a/c on the flight. The rest of the drones are shutting-up publicly about it (as we would following a mishap where a pilot made a mistake), but they know it was a screw-up. ALPA's in Track. Stay in Scan.

The typo on Council 74 was a typo. I understand pilots occasionally make boo boo's when reading back altitudes. It happens. WE know what he meant.

The article WAS correct about who represents CPZ right now. It's Council 1 (NWA). I don't think that's a bad idea...for now. We might be able to use that status to expand Scope.

Concur with your comments about providing New Hires with gouge! There was a time ('91-'95) when a studly Membership Committee Chairman used to do just that. Our MEC is still paralyzed by the spectre of a merger that they've gone back to their "NORDO" mode.

Remember when we used to get weekly Updates from one of our reps...regardless of what was happening?

I like this months article, it has a lot of don't blame ALPA blame yourself theme to it?? It points out NWA's contract gained from the 18 day strike but never says they lost most of it, or says APA could not fight against Clinton but ALPA could, I'd rather have AA's contract than any ALPA contract.

I like this months article, it has a lot of don't blame ALPA blame yourself theme to it?? It points out NWA's contract gained from the 18 day strike but never says they lost most of it, or says APA could not fight against Clinton but ALPA could, I'd rather have AA's contract than any ALPA contract.

It was a 15-day strike. I was there.

You're right (not really), we DID reinstate the B-Scale, Vacation Cancellation, Dual Qual, and Training Entitlements! How could I forget?

You'd take the AMR contract over FDX?

Friendly advice: Stop sampling Mommie's medicines.

NWA pilots had a fit with the AVRO too...Mgmnt just kept expanding....then replaced it with the 900. Not much you can do about it when you release scope!

Latest resources

Back