Compass Airlines Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mario,
After 20 years of military service and watching NWA management, I've become a little bit skeptical, but I do know good people when I meet them. Best of luck.

Like I said before I tend to be an optimist. I am under no delusion that NWA management cares one way or another what happens to the people they employ.
I approach everything with a certain amount of skepticism, but when an opportunity appears I have to trust my instincts.
By the way I also spent 20 years in the Army retired in 2001. You may find this interesting, my first ten years I was in tanks, Went to flight school in 89/90.

My two concerns would be:
1. If their is a up flow program with NWA mainline is there also a down flow program. If DC9's and some more 319's are parked would I get displaced? I'm sure I would.
2. Why is their no Mainline management involved with Compus? Its all be handed over to former Independence management(some of the greatest people I've ever met in the industry). Something just doesn't smell right. Remember NWA mainline pilots said they would strike if a new-co was started by mainline. That was berried by senior guys selling out younger guys over the whole pension program. I would just hate to see someone get pushed down the list by a flow down program then 2-3 years later be sold to Masa and put at the bottom of their list. Its happened. US Air and its new-co Republic. Just keep your eyes open guy!

I agree with everything you say.

Pilots don't need to be good spellers. Not trying to be picky, but there is a big difference between the words "there" and "their". Look into it.

Last edited:
I don't see a flow up lasting either. Everyone is basically going to be hired within a year and a half of each other. So if starting in 30 months NWA needs to hire 300 pilots that year, are they going to wipe out all of Comp's pilots? No.

[B said:
Tank Commander[/b]]
2. Why is their no Mainline management involved with Compus?
I would just hate to see someone get pushed down the list by a flow down program then 2-3 years later be sold to Masa and put at the bottom of their list.
Pilots don't need to be good spellers. Not trying to be picky, but there is a big difference between the words "there" and "their". Look into it.
frankly, i was more concerned about the "Compus" and "Masa."

Don't forget Mesaba also has a flow thru which would tend to slow the movement somewhat to NWA from Compass. How much through is anyones guess.

I would think that there is a cap on how many can go at once. If NWA is having a class of 30 I wouldn't think that all would come from Compass and Mesaba. Most would be from off the street, with say 20-25 percent coming from Compass & Mesaba. So from that class of 30 you may get 7 total from the two, but that is still better then nothing.

Don't forget Mesaba also has a flow thru which would tend to slow the movement somewhat to NWA from Compass. How much through is anyones guess.

I would think that there is a cap on how many can go at once. If NWA is having a class of 30 I wouldn't think that all would come from Compass and Mesaba. Most would be from off the street, with say 20-25 percent coming from Compass & Mesaba. So from that class of 30 you may get 7 total from the two, but that is still better then nothing.

NWA must hire from Compass before hiring off the street or from any other affiliate carriers. They are hiring off the street because nobody at Compass meets the flow requirements yet.

25% of the Compass list may flow in a rolling 12 month period. At 360 pilots, that is 90 pilots.

I wouldn't count on a flow, but consider it a nice option to have. It certainly doesn't hurt.

Also, I would suggest that everyone think outside the box. NW has a great interest in keeping Compass a viable going concern. The only way to do that is to keep growing. People go fly for regionals for the upgrade (not pay, a la Horizon). You get the upgrade at Compass by a/c growth and flow. NW will reap the benefits of Compass via an IPO in my opinion.

Latest resources

Back