• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Compass agreement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A distinction with no great difference. A Mesaba, or Compass, pilot is flying the same passengers a Delta pilot carries at a division of the same company. Why should their longevity be destroyed when crossing the line? (I'm talking LONGEVITY, not SENIORITY).

For example. If we were ASA Rampers, or Gate Agents, we would have our ASA DOH for benefits, like vacation weeks and non rev travel. Literally 1,200 of ASA's Atlanta employees maintained longevity when they came to work for Delta the same month I did. Why do we tolerate our pilots' longevity not getting the same treatment as a baggage handler's?

How much longevity did Northwest pilots accrue while they were out on furlough?

I'm all for a flow up, but a flow down provides nearly no benefit to a mainline pilot, without longevity and seniority. By the time you negotiate that, why not just make it one damn list and keep it simple & effective?

I hear ya. I also agree with your thoughts. But its not just worthless. Also NWA got nothing as you know until Delta stepped in. Delta guys accrued LONGEVITY on furlough and DELTA pilots still accrue LONGEVITY at DELTA while they are flowed to Compass and Mesaba.

Heyas PCL,

There were NO single list/staple resolutions presented at the MEC, nor were there any presented at the LEC level.

What WAS passed at the 3 LECs and at the MEC was to keep the representational structure at Compass as it is, which is a significant step.

Nu

I'm reading the MEC update sent to Compass pilots, and it states AI 09-50, Compass integration cost/benefit analysis, failed unanimously.

I'm reading the MEC update sent to Compass pilots, and it states AI 09-50, Compass integration cost/benefit analysis, failed unanimously.

That's exactly right...and nobody seems to want to talk about WHY? In fact, some seem to want to cover it up......PCL_128...what's your take?

The way it was explained to me, they pushed the decision back until October, or later.

If it was the intent to divest Compass at this meeting, then all the work done to try to prevent that divestiture was successful, at least until October.

The other dynamic in play is the political makeup of the Delta MEC. Right now the FNWA and FDAL Reps are very evenly split with a slight advantage to the FDAL contingent. It is assumed that if Compass was given a Rep they would likely vote with the FNWA side throwing off the balance of power. Later this year when the ANC base closes and those members are consolidated into other LEC's the balance of power would better accommodate a Compass Rep.

I don't know if that had anything to do with their thought process.

Delaying action on Compass was the smart thing to do in any event. Remember the old maxim, "First, do no harm," certainly applies here.

Last edited:
The resolution to defer a decision regarding Compass representation passed unanimously.

The resolution to look in to whether integrating Compass is a good idea or not, MEC elected to take no action unanimously.

The resolution to look in to whether integrating Compass is a good idea or not, MEC elected to take no action unanimously.
I'm still waiting for the exact verbiage on this.

A union has a duty to evaluate positions which effect the pay and working conditions of members
. This duty extends not only to we Delta pilots that are effected by outsourcing another 300~400 jobs, but to the Compass pilots, who would likely claim that divestiture is not in their best interests either.

If they are blatantly refusing to do their required homework (which I doubt) then they are setting up a DFR scenario just like Comair/RJDC.

If what I heard was correct, then it is quite the paradox that prejudice resulting from Comair's litigation is leading right to another DFR breach that will foster more litigation. Worse, by making it a full bore MEC Agenda item, it is an easy thing for a aggrived plaintiff to reference.

No one over there is dumb, so it is more likely that there are more parts to the puzzling announcement.

Last edited:
They emailed out the exact verbiage of the resolution they passed, but conveniently left out the verbiage of the resolution they take no action on, only a summary.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back