"Company Frequency"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skeezer,

Word of advise I got from an old Sage that I try to follow. "Don't sweat the small stuff, concentrate on the big stuff and the rest will fall into place." Cheers.

KlingonLRDRVR

Don't mess with Skeezer on this one!!!

This is a common misperception among pilots that 123.45 is a legal air to air, or "pilot" frequency.

I use it up here in AK, but that doesn't make it legal. Many others up here have set up phantom frequencies and will call out "SWITCH" to their buddies listening up, then go to this frequency to chat. Not legal by the air-to-air definition, but very common.

To answer the original question....company frequency is a frequency that the FCC has issued to an operator to provide communications between the ground and company aircraft. My current airline has one company frequency. My other job at UA has several for contacting different departments such as maintenance or operations. These change from city to city. At the larger airports, if we want our lavs dumped we call on one frequency, if we want to talk with load planning we call on another one. All would be considered "company frequency".

Just as Skeezer asks, I challenge anyone to PROVE him wrong about 123.45.

Ni!

GP

Thanks for the info on company frequency.

And geez, I didn't mean to stir up a hornet's next with the air-to-air frequencies. I was taught AIM 4-1-11(b)(2), but when I flew with the Beech salesman, he radioed to the Baron behind us being flown by the ferry pilot to switch to "company", but he used 123.45. He must have used "company" as slang to want to talk air-to-air with the other guy.

123.45 in the North Atlantic and Pacific, 130.55 in the Carribean, and whatever the AIM says for Alaska and the lower 48. Howis that.

Latest resources

Back