"Company Frequency"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Anne

Alright, if I don't ask, I may never know. What is "company frequency"? I know about 122.75 and 122.85 for plane to plane. Do you commercial guys have other frequencies to talk to other planes from your same company?

Anne said:
Alright, if I don't ask, I may never know. What is "company frequency"? I know about 122.75 and 122.85 for plane to plane. Do you commercial guys have other frequencies to talk to other planes from your same company?

It is for comm. with company operations. Although most airplanes have datalink via ACARS. Each airline is asssigned their own freq's and generally are the same through the system, with some hubs having additional ones for different areas or sets of gates.

Air to air is 123.45 and is a common freq. for all aircraft. I've never heard of the ones above, but I have no GA experience at all.

Anne said:

It is for comm. with company operations. Although most airplanes have datalink via ACARS. Each airline is asssigned their own freq's and generally are the same through the system, with some hubs having additional ones for different areas or sets of gates.

Air to air is 123.45 and is a common freq. for all aircraft. I've never heard of the ones above, but I have no GA experience at all.

Air to Air

Air to air frequency is NOT 123.45. Most people seem to think this but air to air is 122.75 and 122.85 for fixed wing aircraft. This is in the AIM 4-1-11(b)(2). I don't know where 123.45 started but it is one of those things that lots of people use without thinking about. Maybe it is air to air for other countries but as far as I know not in the US.

Sorry, it is one of my pet peeves. :D

I gotta get out more.

Peace Out

Skeezer

123.45 IS the worldwide Air to Air frequency.

Re: Air to Air

skeezer said:
I don't know where 123.45 started
Skeezer

Maybe because it is printed on the Jep Hi International charts? Or perhaps it is in our airlines International Flight Ops. manual?

You must know something I don't because over the last several hundred Atlantic crossings, I hear many pilots, of all worldwide airlines, talking on it.

As a bug smasher we use 123.45 too.

Oh the most common glider port freq that I have heard is 123.3 If you see glider ops I am told (never had a radio in a glider that I have flown that wasn't inop) you will more than likely talk to them on that freq.

The only one I have ever heard of is 123.45 and 122.75. Whenever I got on those long hauls I put my second radio on 123.45 and listen up - it helps the time pass. =]

I know Flight Express has their own company frequency, I'm sure others have them also.

Hehe man did I get slamed on that one or what? Anyway...

Maybe because it is printed on the Jep Hi International charts? Or perhaps it is in our airlines International Flight Ops. manual?

You must know something I don't because over the last several hundred Atlantic crossings, I hear many pilots, of all worldwide airlines, talking on it.

Hey Boeingman, maybe you should read posts a little more carefully before you get smart with people. In my post I was specifically speaking about the US. "Maybe it is air to air for other countries but as far as I know not in the US."

I have never flown international so I would not know, thus my statement at the end of my message. However I can do something that not many people do, and that is read the AIM.

Let me quote from AIM 4-1-11(b)(2). "The following listing depicts other frequency uses as designated by the Federal Communications Commision(FCC). (See TBL 4-1-3.)

Other Frequency Usage Designated by FCC

Use______________________________Frequency

Air-to-Air communications _____________________ 122.750
& private airports (not open____________________122.850
to the public).

Air-to-Air communications _____________________123.025
(general aviation helicopters)

Aviation instruction, Glider, Hot__________________123.300
Air Balloon (not to be used for __________________123.500
advisory service)"

That is where the glider frequency that a previous poster mentioned comes from. As you can see, 123.45 is not mentioned as being approved by the FCC for use in Air-to-Air communications in the US. Outside the US maybe it is, or maybe someone owns that frequecy, I DO NOT KNOW about outside the US.

If someone can prove me wrong about 123.45 inside the US then please do so, but I am gonna stick with the information that the FAA and FCC have given me about frequency usage.

In reality will I get busted for using 123.45? Probably not. But I do the best I can to follow the rules so I won't use a frequency that I know is not designated as Air-to-Air in the US (as far as anyone can prove to me).

Someone stated "everyone else must be using it but you... I've always used 123.45," and it is correct that a lot of people are using it. But does that make it right? Not as far as I am concerned.

Once again, if anyone has proof of 123.45 being a legal frequency to use as air-to-air in the US please let me know. Not trying to start a war here, just letting people know what the AIM says and asking if anyone has proof of different in the US.

Peace

Skeezer

PS I didn't mean to hijack the thread on company frequencies. My company has several frequencies for contacting the operations stations at individual airports, along with frequencies for contacting maintenance/dispatch at HQ if we need to (not including Airinc).

PPS Sorry for the lines in the table, I couldn't get it to work without them

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back