Commuting to JFK/LGA/or BOS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
zkmayo said:
there is a bus that does jfk-ewr too. also you can take a subway to grand central and take a train to the airport. that one takes at least 2 hours..

It's actually Penn Station, but two hours if you're lucky. Long haul

roman said:
FYI for RIC-JFK...just flew with a guy who does it and was planning to go back to the pad because the next 3 flights were sold out. 2pm arrival into JFK and wasn't gonna try till the 8pm.

As a NJ lifer, I can't really recommend it. I'd go with zkmayo on this regarding eastern PA. We moved from South Jersey to Allentown area because of taxes and cost of living. It's still not as cheap as STL, but much much better than Jersey. Commute to JFK from ABE area is 1:40-2:00. Tolls are $6 for outer bridge going to and $9 for Verrazzano going home. Stupidly expensive for sure, but when compared to a crashpad (I don't need one) and the costs zkmayo has posted just to get to LGA - I'd say they are comparable. Plus you always can get home after a trip.

thanks guys/gals for all the info! you say the drive is almost two hours...is that no traffic early morning and late night?

what are houses going for in ABE?? per sq foot?

1:45 - 2:00 no traffic. With traffic, normally add 30-45 min to the trip one way. Heavy traffic normally won't add more than 1 hr.

2500ish sq ft 4 bed 2.5 bath with unfinished basement on 1/3 acre = $330-$380k. On an acre with nice upgrades (hardwood, corian/granite etc) in low $400s.

I am fresh off moving up there so if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Hey man...don't tell everybody about ABE till I get up there. Saw the pics of Shane, congrats.

Thanks man. When are you coming up? I am purchasing a commercial grade blender so that we can create frosty beverages.

Nice Jimmy quote. Now I need one.

SkiFishFly said:
How bad is it to commute from the DFW area?

From an AAer's perspective - it blows. Mainly since we are the only airline that serves LGA from DFW (unless Airtran has started it), even with hourly flights with mostly 737-800s they are jam-packed. Most of the time I am in the j/s or just booted off by some senior dude (hey wait, they're all senior to me right now!) Anyways, it's a tough commute, not to mention long.

DFW-JFK is four 757s a day, usually pretty packed, and DFW-EWR is all MD80s...you guessed it, packed. DFW-BOS is also all MD80s, maybe an -800 every once in a while. That's almost a 4hr jaunt.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back