Commuting to JFK/LGA/or BOS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LandGreen

I was curious where the "quality of life" or "got the family with kids to feed" pilots are living with relatively easy commutes to JFK LGA or BOS. Now that there are over 1000 pilots at jetBlue, I imagine at least 80-90% commute? Nowadays with prices so high for housing, school etc...are there any gems out there????

I have heard of driving from Eastern PA..... Carolinas would be nice with "affordable housing" not sure about VA, SC, MD or New Hampshire.

Thanks

I would say the guys at JB who have the best commute are those that are able to drive in to work. I can only speak for the JFK folks (sounds like your an east coast guy anyway) but Eastern PA near say Allentown/Amish country sounds like the best all around deal. = relatively inexpensive and still driveable. Depending on traffic prob around 2-3 hours. Thats a hall but you know you are going to get home and sleep in your own bed. Ive heard of several guys who drive down from NH and Conn as well as Northern Maryland. NH, Conn, RI, and Mass might not be bad choice in that you could drive to NY, flying from anywhere there to NY is always an option, and that JB will prob be opening a base in BOS next year sometime.

The tolls can add up quickly, particularly from the south and west and gas is high as a kite but it still beats getting on an airplane. Anything further than this is to me too far to drive.

I commute to NC (one leg via LGA) and it isnt that bad but its still commuting off line and there are alot of our people that commute there. So all this is JMHO and my impressions of those that live in these areas your interested in.

Good luck.

Kew Car Service will charge about $18 I think. Rockaway Cabs is $20. Yellow cab meter fare will run 30-35. Some guys take the hotel shuttle (dont know which one) to the q-runner and its cheaper. I dont do it. I commute out of JFK but someone else may be able to correct me if I am wrong....

BS

Ric To Lga And Bos

RIC TO LGA OR BOS would be pretty easy. 6 direct flights a day to LGA and 4 to BOS. You can also go through PHL, PIT, or CLT. Many options

There are several options for LGA-JFK ground transportation.

1. QRunner--$10 LGA-JFK; $7 LGA to Kew Gardens (most crashpads). JB runs a company shuttle for $3 to JFK. The QRunner is cheap but some of the drivers are downright dangerous. Cut thru Queens on 2 wheels, etc but once they pick you up they do their best to get you there in a hurry.

2. Kew Cab--about $18 flat fee from JFK-LGA. If you can split this cab with a fellow crewmember, its a great deal.

3. Yellow Cab--About $30 with tip to LGA from JFK. Good when your in a big hurry but the most expensive.

4. Port Authority Bus. JB offers a bundle ticket discount of 20 tickets for $6 each. Best bargain. However runs every hour on the half hour and stops at many JFK terminals and takes main, crowded roads to LGA.

5. You can also take various subways and public bus lines from Jfk to Lga to include the Airtrain, Q10, and M60. Takes about 2 hours and I dont have the patience for it.

Ive always done what makes the most sense with what time Ive had on that particular commute. Month to month I budget about $100 for this transportation.

Good luck...

FYI for RIC-JFK...just flew with a guy who does it and was planning to go back to the pad because the next 3 flights were sold out. 2pm arrival into JFK and wasn't gonna try till the 8pm.

As a NJ lifer, I can't really recommend it. I'd go with zkmayo on this regarding eastern PA. We moved from South Jersey to Allentown area because of taxes and cost of living. It's still not as cheap as STL, but much much better than Jersey. Commute to JFK from ABE area is 1:40-2:00. Tolls are $6 for outer bridge going to and $9 for Verrazzano going home. Stupidly expensive for sure, but when compared to a crashpad (I don't need one) and the costs zkmayo has posted just to get to LGA - I'd say they are comparable. Plus you always can get home after a trip.

there is a bus that does jfk-ewr too. also you can take a subway to grand central and take a train to the airport. that one takes at least 2 hours. cab would be mega expensive even splitting one.

i used to do ric-lga. it wasnt too bad, ric usair people are great, lga ok. i didnt do it very long and i only didnt get on once. i never even tried to do jfk from ric as eagle was usu full/wt restricted.

Latest resources

Back