Commuter clauses

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hangar7guy

Which of the following have commuter clauses in their contract?

American Eagle
Comair
Expressjet
Republic
Mesaba
Pinnacle

Or, if it's somewhere right under my nose and I missed it...can you point me in that direction? :) Thanks.

Skywest does'nt have one! I don't care what some of the new hires are about to say! Heres a hint "Nonformal Policy" means you don't have one!!!!!:smash:

XJt's clause is at least two flights, that has at least 1 open seat 24 hours prior to departure time, that are scheduled to arrive 30 minutes prior to your show time. I used it one time when my commute did a gate return for a mechanical. I had to talk to the chief pilot to use the commuter clause. I think it can still go to a discipliary board though, I've heard that if use it too many times they will revoke your privelages.

To sum that up, it's a fairly liberal policy but if you abuse it they will still can you.

Skywest does'nt have one! I don't care what some of the new hires are about to say! Heres a hint "Nonformal Policy" means you don't have one!!!!!:smash:

Most of our regional CP's are super-cool, you could probably call them and it would be a non-issue. But there's no real reason to test that theory...just call in sick.

If someday they want to maximize their pilot resources then they can establish a formal policy and then they won't lose me for the whole trip.

Last edited:
But there's no real reason to test that theory...just call in sick.

So then what happens when the company goes after you for abuse of sick time?

I'm not flaming, but serious. I know it happens, but sick leave is not a substitute for a commuter clause.

I'm not flaming, but serious. I know it happens, but sick leave is not a substitute for a commuter clause.

The only true substitute is getting off your lazy asses and calling up uhaul.

Republic has 2 per 6 months. you need to have tried two flights-scheduling will ask for the flight numbers when you call, but thats all.

B

Everybody knows about how often you can call in sick. After 4-5 times in a year you would want to be careful...

But I am 100% confident that I could call up my CP and tell him I got stuck with no adverse reaction. I have a pretty good attendance record backing me up. It might be tougher for somebody who uses frequent sick calls to get days off that his seniority won't hold...

My last carrier did have a commuter clause but it was worthless because of all the equirements...your flights had to be on a codeshare so THEY could verify seats available, you needed two flights, etc.

My personal solution is to limit myself to one leg commutes with multiple daily non-stops. I have changed employers in order to adhere to this policy and preserve my QOL. Works great so far.

Latest resources

Back