• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Commuter clauses

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My personal solution is to limit myself to one leg commutes with multiple daily non-stops. I have changed employers in order to adhere to this policy and preserve my QOL. Works great so far.

I think that's my plan.

-Goose

XJt's clause is at least two flights, that has at least 1 open seat 24 hours prior to departure time, that are scheduled to arrive 30 minutes prior to your show time. I used it one time when my commute did a gate return for a mechanical. I had to talk to the chief pilot to use the commuter clause. I think it can still go to a discipliary board though, I've heard that if use it too many times they will revoke your privelages.

To sum that up, it's a fairly liberal policy but if you abuse it they will still can you.

One open seat including the jumpseat, if you jumpseat off line don't ask if any non-revs are listed because then you can use the policy in good faith if you miss a flight because there were 2 open seats but 29 non-revs... You didn't know about them.

I don't think you can really abuse it, unless you commute offline but even then you would miss the pay.

why not just go to Comair and not have to worry about about these crazy commuter clauses. Just 2 flights. Doesn't matter how full. Doesn't matter what airline. Just don't abuse it.

but I guess having a good contract doesn't compare to flying a shiny 170 to some people

why not just go to Comair and not have to worry about about these crazy commuter clauses. Just 2 flights. Doesn't matter how full. Doesn't matter what airline. Just don't abuse it.

Interesting...that surprisingly sounds just like a commuter clause to me...

Actually, the commuter clause at Comair is a tad bit more complicated....must list for two flights. First flight must be SCHEDULED to arrive a minimum of two hours before your report. The second must be scheduled to arrive 30 mins prior to your report. If you cant get in, call (s)crew scheduling, they put an "UN" (unavailable) on your line, you arrive as soon as you can. Not paid for what you missed but no disciplinary action. Rejoin trip when it passes through base or could be deadheaded to rejoin or "tossed" onto reserve for the remaining time (oh boy).

;)

I've never had them put a UN on my line after having to use the commuter clause. They just throw on the CO code and you're good to go.

Thats great if it were true! A friend of mine had 5 flights to get him from MSP to ORD by his check in time of 9:10am and was bumped off every single one of them. He called to notify scheduling and they delayed the flight until he got there and rightfully put the delay code on him. However, he later got a call from the Chief pilot and a letter put in his box. Don't say the RCP is always cool about it, it seems like they are only cool about it if there is a reserve to cover it, otherwise they go headhunting!:rolleyes:
a lot of times crew support will positive space you if you tell them you won't be able to make it. That only works for SKW flights though

a lot of times crew support will positive space you if you tell them you won't be able to make it. That only works for SKW flights though

XJT schedulers can do that too on XJT or CAL flights only.

Latest resources

Back