• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Commute Air Engine Failures

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
More people? They had one accident, 15 years ago, that killed one passenger. That's a pretty good safety record in my eyes.

They weren't the greatest to work for, but I never once thought of them as a "sh*tty operator."

I agree. Not the best place to work, but the equipment was maintained pretty well. Maybe it's changed.

commutair

Its changed. There were actually 3 engines failures shortly after take off on the plane in SYR. A day or two later there was another engine failure (unscheduled feather) on a different plane coming out of PIT. Back in the day maint. was good here. Those days have been over for a while.

Its changed. There were actually 3 engines failures shortly after take off on the plane in SYR. A day or two later there was another engine failure (unscheduled feather) on a different plane coming out of PIT. Back in the day maint. was good here. Those days have been over for a while.

How is an uncommanded feather an "engine failure"?

I'll explain to you how it is

After an unscheduled feather the engine, which is producing no thrust at the point, has to be shut down. That is how its an engine failure.

Details

Is it really necessary to quibble over such details? The prop feathered just after take off giving the crew, in effect, a V1 cut to deal with. Technically the engine didn't fail but in effect, it did.

CA 1900. Good post and as a 7 year Commutairman I agree. While Jim , Tony, and John could be sneaky with the money, they would spend it on safety. As I recall we were the first to have TCAS in every airplane in the USAir system. As I see that you are at NJA as is brokeflyer please do me a favor and when you meet him on the ramp educate him some. (that is an edit from my original idea) There is nothing wrong with small regional airlines flying to places that can not support jets. There are many communities that had better airservice in the 70's to the early 90's when everyone flew Twin Otters, Beech 99's and Metros and a big airplane was a Shorts 330. The problem comes when large "regional" airlines start flying jets on what should be mainline routes. I am proud of my time as a "commuter" pilot. Would I give up my pay and jet to go back. No, but I had a great time and I will never be as good a pilot as I was flying in the North Country on VOR's and NDB's without an auto pilot. To brokeflyer, The system may be broke also, but ther are far more good men and women out there busting their hump and trying to be safe every day than the type that you refer to. Everyone of us started with zero in the log book. Give them the respect that they deserve until they prove otherwise.

Jet

I am educated enough thanks. What I am refering to is the industry as a whole really needs a lot of work. Not just commutair but them and all the rest of them that do shabby mx and crappy work conditions. Eventually anough people will die because of crappy training and $hitty planes that they will realize that they passed the point of "acceptable losses".

Latest resources

Back