• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CommutAir leaving PLB?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The larger planes are not suited to flying into smaller airports such as Lake Clear.

Now thats funny! Larger Airplane? Its a Dash 8, and its built to fly in the NE!

This is big news for Commutair.... Good Luck!

What the heck does Chuck Schumer know about Commutair anyway?

Chuck Schumer knows what's best for all us pee-ons! I'm sure the "consumer friendly, low fare airlines" will be lined up to serve Plb and Slk. Maybe he can convince JB to get a 190 service to Plb

Schumer is an idiot. This is the same guy who yammered on and on during his re-election campaign about how he was single-handedly responsible for JetBlue's arrival in New York. And how he thinks that losing the county's only airline will open the door to a "consumer-friendly, low-fare airline"? Is he kidding?

Any LCC that looks at Plattsburgh will see what we already know: There aren't enough customers to support even a Dash 8. The fact that your only airline service exists because it's subsidized by the government should be a big clue that SWA, AirTran, and JetBlue aren't coming your way. Ever.

It irritates the piss out of me that so much federal tax money -- my tax money -- went to redeveloping that air base into a commercial airport. They really think the only thing that was keeping a low-fare airline out of PLB was the length of the runway. The fact that they'd only carry 50 people a week (and thus would never come up there) doesn't seem to enter into their little brains.

U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer said Friday that the disconnect was actually an opportunity for better service.

“After years of sub-par air service, opportunity is finally knocking at the North Country’s door. There is enormous potential at the new and improved Plattsburgh International Airport, and today’s news leaves the door wide open for a consumer-friendly, low-fare airline."

Its official folks....he is crazy. I guess this guy never tried flying an airplane into any one of these airports in the middle of winter....to pick up four passengers and a non-rev. I hope the training program and highering standards of the airline that picks up this government cheese is as good as commutair's or else they'll be picking alluminium out of a hill somewhere.

Sorry to see you folks have to move. I enjoyed flying with all of you and learned a lot.

VV

press republican:

CommutAir Vice President of Marketing and Planning Joel T. Raymond confirmed the decision, saying the airline is replacing its fleet of 19-seater Beech 1900D planes with 37-seat planes.
“The company has made, albeit a difficult decision, a necessary decision, given our fleet plan,” he said.
CommutAir is transitioning its base of operations out to the Midwest, Raymond said, and has decided to leave this market.

Does anyone know where in the Midwest CommutAir will be moving their ops to in the next 3 to 4 months?

I'm thinking about maybe applying there, and so I'm wondering where I could end up being based.

Did big sky buy or are they buying commut air, or are they possibly taking over runs such as PLB? Who will get the FBO at International when the county shuts the doors? I know commut air is quitting the fbo biz at PLB.

Latest resources

Back