• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CommutAir Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
well, we're paid hourly, not on salary. In terms of regionals, I made 55K as an FO one year. I worked a lot. I've heard some of our sim instructors make in the mid 200K range when they're super busy, doing doubles, only a few days off per month, etc. that hasn't been the case for awhile, though.

I'd guess most FOs make in the 40s, most captains in the 70k+ range for the SkyWest, XJET, Comair, ASA, AWAC, etc. crowd. If you get beyond 10 years, then I think it's normal to make over 100K. How much you work certainly depends, since we're hourly instead of salaried employees.

If I was still at XJT I would be on 10 year pay and on reserve. I would not even touch 90k fwiw. A good friend is quite the senior fella (15 yr payscale and not a reserve) He does charter and he pulled in 132k a year back. I don't think he's pulling that in now as the charter program hasn't been getting as many block hours as of late.

The ceased to be US Air Express in late 2000, right after they bought a bunch of brand new 1900s. The codeshare was up for renewal, and US Airways wanted them to get bigger planes. They responded by buying 26 brand new 1900s. US responded by not renewing the codeshare, and signing Colgan instead, which was the beginning of their Saab era.

They managed to talk Continental into a codeshare, with the limitation that CommutAir couldn't fly into any of their hubs. They were later allowed into CLE in exchange for temporarily hiring a number of ExpressJet furloughees. They didn't repaint most of the planes, but just covered up the US logos, peeled off the red stripe, and put a sticker over it. Man, did that look sharp:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7062/844ca1.jpg

Meanwhile, US replaced CommutAir with Allegheny and Colgan Air, and US's passengers continued to fly on them. Meanwhile, CommutAir flew empty airplanes around New England for six months (I had the numbers for 0 pax/0 bags/3200lbs memorized), then finally furloughed half the pilots in August of 2001. I read the furlough notice in the PLB hangar, as the principals were fueling up their new CitationJet from the CommutAir fuel truck just outside.

Good times, good times...

Just did a CLE overnight, can't tell you how happy I am that I avoided the mistake by the lake. Ugly, cold, and dreary, even The Sherwinator's sunny disposition can't overcome that.

In regards to being paid I looked at a web site that I mentioned earlier in this thread. It says (not sure how up to date the pay schedule is) that a 1st year, first offer at Piedmont makes $27.00 per flight hour, based on 72 hours a month, and $1.50 per diem. When does this "flight hour" take effect when on duty? When does the "per diem" take effect when on duty. I have heard different version when all this happens.
Does a pilot get paid for the "actual" hours they fly or the "scheduled" hours?

A good rule of thumb, if you can see a pilot at the airport, they're not being paid. You start the hourly pay when you shut the door for the start and end of flight. Per diem is pay when you're spending time away from base. Unless you have rigs it's the only profession that I can think of where you don't get paid for showing up to work, I don't know who we can thank for that.

Last edited:
From reading some earlier comments, the starting pay at the regional level is poor, but it gets better as time progresses. It also appears pilots are staying with the regional airlines alot longer these days (perhaps a career). If the larger airlines (SWA, Airtran, and other large carriers) start hiring again in the coming years, how hard will it be to get hired by those airlines in the future?

Good times, good times...

Just did a CLE overnight, can't tell you how happy I am that I avoided the mistake by the lake. Ugly, cold, and dreary, even The Sherwinator's sunny disposition can't overcome that.

Ahhh the legend of "The Sherwinator".

I heard he was writing a book called "How to avoid friends and Pi$$ off everyone".

Latest resources

Back