• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Commercial Checkride

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Get the Commercial PTS. You will see that it has 2 sections: 1 for single & 1 for multi. You don't have to do chandelles, lazy 8's, or 8's on pylons or steep spirals or 180 power off landings in the multi, but you do in the single, and that is what you do to add the single.

TiredOfTeaching said:
The five hours in the model is required to give instruction in that model. You need 15 PIC for Part 141 purposes. All you need for your MEI checkride is five hours PIC if you do it Part 61.

Almost correct. It's been a while, but I still know what I'm talking about!!!

15 hours Multi PIC - ref: 61.183 (j)

(j) Log at least 15 hours as pilot in command in the category and
class of aircraft that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating
sought;

5 hours Make and Model 61.195 (f)

(f) Training received in a multiengine airplane, a helicopter, or a
powered-lift. A flight instructor may not give training required for the
issuance of a certificate or rating in a multiengine airplane, a
helicopter, or a powered-lift unless that flight instructor has at least
5 flight hours of pilot-in-command time in the specific make and model
of multiengine airplane, helicopter, or powered-lift, as appropriate.

For the student to save money depends on when the student starts training towards the Commercial Certificate.

If they have over 250 hours - no saving

If they have maybe 125 hours (professional pilot student) they can save a lot, and also train towards CFI/II/MEI. That way when 250 hours rolls around, they are eligable to take checkrides for any of the above certificates, rather than building hours in a single to meet the 250 hour et al requirements, then train in the multi, then CFI/II/MEI .

In this case the MEI may have around 300 hours upon completion

Back when I was Chief Instructor, I had a plan where everything would be done (under ideal conditions) with about 260TT, commercial, single, multi, instrument. High performance, high altitude, complex aircraft, spin training (15 hours aerobatic) tailwheel, CFI CFII & MEI. I think with a little planning and knowledge of the regs you can really accomplish a lot in 250-60 hours for your students.

So lets say you do the Commercial Multi First and skip out on the complex single. So now you have a commercial single and a commercial multi... But for the CFI ride don't you have to do stuff in a complex single? If that is true.. it would actually be harder to get it because you wouldn't have more experience in the complex single.. ?

awacs941 said:
So lets say you do the Commercial Multi First and skip out on the complex single. So now you have a commercial single and a commercial multi... But for the CFI ride don't you have to do stuff in a complex single? If that is true.. it would actually be harder to get it because you wouldn't have more experience in the complex single.. ?

not if you do the MEI first.

-mini

These are all really good points.. and I am currently working on my commercial as well (still at the early point of building time and learning maneuvers... I have about 215 right now, part 61.) I do have one question, though. At least according to my 2004 FAR/AIM, if you are going for the commercial multi engine (without already having the SEL commercial) you need 10 hrs in a multi, but you also need to do the 2 hr day/2 hr night VFR XC in the multi, and the long solo XC (or performing duties of PIC with an authorized instructor) also in the multi (300nm.) If 7-8 hours of your multi time was being spent on XCs, where you don't get much practice with landings and engine outs, wouldn't you need more training just to get comfortable with all that stuff, and might having to do all those XCs in the multi get more expensive than just doing those in a 152/172? Just wondering how it ends up working in the real world, with getting in the usual multi engine training, but also having to do long XCs in the multi as well.... ? I am not (at least at this moment) going for my CFI, so I might not even need the SEL comm, so I'm trying to see what works out best time and money-wise, but was just worried about the XCs in a multi eating away a lot of my moolah. Any thoughts, or am I totally misreading the FARs? Thanks.

SmellsLikeAvGas said:
These are all really good points.. and I am currently working on my commercial as well (still at the early point of building time and learning maneuvers... I have about 215 right now, part 61.) I do have one question, though. At least according to my 2004 FAR/AIM, if you are going for the commercial multi engine (without already having the SEL commercial) you need 10 hrs in a multi, but you also need to do the 2 hr day/2 hr night VFR XC in the multi, and the long solo XC (or performing duties of PIC with an authorized instructor) also in the multi (300nm.) If 7-8 hours of your multi time was being spent on XCs, where you don't get much practice with landings and engine outs, wouldn't you need more training just to get comfortable with all that stuff, and might having to do all those XCs in the multi get more expensive than just doing those in a 152/172? Just wondering how it ends up working in the real world, with getting in the usual multi engine training, but also having to do long XCs in the multi as well.... ? I am not (at least at this moment) going for my CFI, so I might not even need the SEL comm, so I'm trying to see what works out best time and money-wise, but was just worried about the XCs in a multi eating away a lot of my moolah. Any thoughts, or am I totally misreading the FARs? Thanks.

(3) 20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in Sec. 61.127(b)(2) of this part that includes at least--
(i) 10 hours of instrument training of which at least 5 hours must be in a multiengine airplane;
(ii) 10 hours of training in a multiengine airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and controllable pitch propellers, or is turbine-powered, or for an applicant seeking a multiengine seaplane rating, 10 hours of training in a multiengine seaplane that has flaps and a controllable pitch propeller;
(iii) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a multiengine airplane in day VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure;
(iv) One cross-country flight of at least 2 hours in a multiengine airplane in night VFR conditions, consisting of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
(v) 3 hours in a multiengine airplane in preparation for the practical test within the 60-day period preceding the date of the test.
(4) 10 hours of solo flight time in a multiengine airplane or 10 hours of flight time performing the duties of pilot in command in a multiengine airplane with an authorized instructor (either of which may be credited towards the flight time requirement in paragraph (b)(2) of this section), on the areas of operation listed in Sec. 61.127(b)(2) of this part that includes at least--
(i) One cross-country flight of not less than 300 nautical miles total distance with landings at a minimum of three points, one of which is a straight-line distance of at least 250 nautical miles from the original departure point. However, if this requirement is being met in Hawaii, the longest segment need only have a straight-line distance of at least 150 nautical miles; and
(ii) 5 hours in night VFR conditions with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with each landing involving a flight with a traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower.

20 hours in the multi..completing all of the above tasks...is the way I interpret it...but im not positive.

Latest resources

Back