Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cessna172heavy

Touchdown on 1000' mark
I'm preparing to take my commercial checkride in a few weeks. I just recently spoke to my examiner and he asked me "Why don't you take both checkrides (single and multi) on the same day?" I didn't think that was such a bad idea, seeing as how my multi training could be included in my 250 hrs for the single engine time (part 61). I don't have a multi private, instead I have private and instrument SEL. Has anyone done it like this and if so, how does the checkride plan out? My multi can also serve as my complex aircraft (although I got checked out in an Arrow before I realized I could do my checkride like this). Any advice? This is my first post. Thanks!

It has been done before

Do the checkride in the Multi (10-15 hrs of training) then the add-on in the single.

The main use of a Commercial ASEL, initially is for instruction, so I'm guessing you are going that route.

The advantage of doing the multi training now is that you'll kill three birds with one stone - total time (not single engine time as you stated) of 250 hrs, while gaining multi experience, and ultimately saving on cost.

Single first with Multi add-on won't give you the 'acting as PIC' loggable time in the twin, something you may want to consider if you want your MEI - 15 hours Multi PIC, with 5 hours make and model - I think (I'll stand corrected if I got this wrong). In other words your training will be done in the Single with training as required in the Multi.

Multi first then Single add-on will mean that the bulk of the part 61 training (20 hours), including the cross-country (acting as PIC) training requirements will have to be met in the twin.

You could use a Cessna 152 for the Commercial Single add-on if you wanted as you are demonstrating the maneuvers in a complex twin.

The latter would be my choice.

Have fun, and welcome to Flight Info.

Last edited:
I've sent a few guys for checkrides like that. It would save them about $1000 bucks. Instead of the time in the SE complex, we trained in the multi. It was a long ride for these guys but never had a guy bust it. One thing they would do is do all the oral, commercial and multi in one sitting and then do the flying the next day.

What was stated above is almost correct but he's thinking about 141. The five hours in the model is required to give instruction that that model. You need 15 PIC for Part 141 purposes. All you need for your MEI checkride is five hours PIC if you do it Part 61. Your not going to get any multi PIC until you take you checkride in the twin regardless of what order you do it in.

Last edited:
Thanks for the adivice you guys. I was planning on it being a long day when it comes time to get this done! I've gotten the bulk of my commercial TT under part 61 in the single engine because my flight school doesn't have current part 141 commercial certification. My private and instrument were both done 141 though, and I could also do my multi commercial 141 if I choose, but I dunno how much of an advantage if would be, if any. I'd have to follow the King multi course syllabus, and that might actually mean flying more than I'd need to.

Now that I recall, I think my examiner mentioned doing the multi checkride first and then adding on the single, as was stated in a reply to my first post. However, this leads me to another question...

What does the multi commercial "ride" portion of the test consist of? Would i be doing all of the maneuvers (ie, chandelles, lazy eights, etc.) or would I only do that in one of the two aircraft. I've learned all the maneuvers and gotten them down in a Skyhawk. I guess I was under the impression that during the multi portion, I'd only have to show that I know how to fly a twin, and perform VMC, one engine shutdown ops, and shooting a couple of approaches. If anyone could shed some light on this subject, it would be most appreciated. Thanks!

The Multi "ride" will consist of single engine ops (approaches, landings Vmc demos.) The only maneuvers you will probably do are steep turns and stalls to comm. standards. Oh and probably short landings as well. Otherwise the Chandelles, lazy 8's, etc. will be done in the single. I've never heard of anyone doing chandelles and stuff on a multi ride. Could be wrong though. GL

I don't understand how doing all of your commercial training in a twin will save money? If I remember correctly, when I did mine, I had all of the time requirements met from flying the old C-140, 150 and 172. I did about 3 hours of training in an Arrow and took the checkride and then about 5 hours of training in a Travel Air and took another checkride. With all the money I saved, I bought some block time in an Apache and that got me over the multi "hump".

Instead of using a single engine complex for the check ride, you use the twin and get your twin rating at the same time. And it saves you about $300 on examiner fee if your using a DE.

But then you'd have to practice the commercial maneuvers in the multi at at least double the cost of the single. Seems like best case scenario it'd be a wash.

I dont know about doing it the same day...Maybe spread it out over 2 days. Its a good idea to finish up you hours in the twin. I attempted that and failed because some idiot had to do a gear up landing in the Baron before I was done. But, go for it!

pilotmiketx said:
But then you'd have to practice the commercial maneuvers in the multi at at least double the cost of the single. Seems like best case scenario it'd be a wash.
I guess you didn't instruct very long or else it was a while ago. Unfortunately it was a short time ago for me and I remeber all to well. (Still have nightmares and wake hollering, "RIGHT RUDDER! RIGHT RUDDER!") The maneuvers required for a multi add-on for Commercial are: Short Field T/O and landing, Power on/off Stalls. Slow flight, Steep turns, Vmc demo, Engine failures, Engine shutdown and restart, Emergency Descent and Emergency gear extention. No chandelles, lazy 8's or 8's on pylons.

You'll have to do these regardless of whether or not your doing it the same day or two months later. By doing this, instead of spending money a single engine for your short field and soft field ops along with your emergency gear extenstion, your working on you Commercial Multi Add-On.

As I said earlier, it's sometimes a bit much to do all in one day but I've sent two guys that did it all in one day. Two others that split it up into two days. They saved $1000 dollars on renting the single engine complex plane because they would have spent the money anyway on the twin later on and they saved $300 for the DE fee. Some folks may call $1300 a wash but I don't. Only problem is my school didn't have it in our TCO for 141.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back