• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a freight pilot, I get this conversation atleast once a month:

Customer: How much can you take?
Me: 3700 lbs
Customer: Hmm....we have 3775 lbs.....can you take all of it?
Me: Let me think about it. NO!

I can really see both sides of this.

I don't think it's necessarily correct to say that we're arrogant when the general public belittle our position in the industry with things like "When are you going to become a real pilot?". I think after working 14 hours per day 7 days a week as an instructor I would feel a bit insulted too if someone asked me when I would become a "real pilot". Most of us are sacrificing alot of things, paying some serious dues, and doing everything within grasp to further our career and quality of life. We're all human. Feeling a bit stung with comments like that is normal - not arrogant.

It's different if someone mistaken's you for a bellhop or something else. They're not being intentionally rude and that's just kind of funny.

In any event, whether someone is being rude, stupid, or just plain curious it would be best to keep it professional. Shrug it off, educate, or play along. Don't freak on them :)

Grove

Last edited:
flx757 said:
Wow. If THIS isn't irony at its finest. Avbug berating others for being full of themselves. :laugh:

I've finally seen everything.

I can die a happy man...without cancer for now. But thanks for your concern Mr. Bug.

-mini

njcapt said:
I'm sorry, but you are WHIPPED! That is one duty I will not accept from my wife - ever. In uniform, too. Yeesh.

you should I'm kinda getting tired of having to go out of my way to get the things you wont get for her anymore

JumpCaptain said:
This happened right after the whole scandal with the drunk America West pilots.

At the airline I interned at, we had this captain that was in her late twenties, but she was very short and looked 15.

One "funny guy" thinks he's a real comic so he pokes his head in the cockpit during boarding and asks, "So, you guys all sober up here?".

She looks back with her legs swinging and a big grin on her face and says, "Shucks, I'm too young to drink!".

He went to his seat without saying another word, but the look of fear on his face was priceless.

Yeah, just one more empty kitchen in America.

Turkey Shoot said:
"Yup, can't buy beer but I go get killed in some dirt hole though." Deal with the age jokes, everybody does.
Don't get killed in the dirt hole...that wouldn't be fun.

A couple of managers at the FBO's have said to me and others something to the effect of "We don't want you freight guys with T-shirts and jeans in here. We're trying to project professional image to our customers."

mitsdriver said:
A couple of managers at the FBO's have said to me and others something to the effect of "We don't want you freight guys with T-shirts and jeans in here. We're trying to project professional image to our customers."

A couple of managers at the FBO's are a$$hole morons, and ought to be fired and sent back to the grill at McDonalds. Business is business, and green money is good no matter who dishes it out. Been there.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back