• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comments that piss you off good.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hondas are for guys who can't afford a Harley, right?

No. They're for guys with a degree of intelligence, they wear helmets for their own safety, like riding and have no tattoos.

avbug said:
If I'm in uniform and someone asks, "are you like a security gaurd, or something?" it's easier to respond "something like that." If I'm on the way home in uniform and stop at Walmart, inevitably someone will ask where the plastic dishes are, or the tool section. What makes them think walmart workers suddenly started wearing white shirts with a tie and epaulets, I dont' know, but rather than "set them straight," I find it's a whole lot easier just to point them to the right aisle.

There is a reason I wear a T-Shirt under my pilot shirt.

I recently visited a home on my way from the airport where an elderly person was having some difficulty, and I was apparently mistaken for a nurses aid. The individual needed assistance with some "sanitary" duties, and rather than take a stand that I was a haughty pilot above such things, I found it was just as easy to provide the required assistance. Didn't hurt me a bit, and I couldn't care less if they thought I was a pilot or a social worker or a plumber. I get paid the same regardless of what they think, I'm perfectly secure in what I do and who I am, and I can't imagine anybody being so insecure or full of themselves that they grow concerned that they aren't being recognized as a pilot enough.
Good grief.

I just want to make sure I heard you correctly. Avbug enters a nursing home with tie and epalletes and procedes to wipe an elderly person's butt. OMG!

flx757 said:
Anyone with the desire could get the same information. Subscribe to either the ASA Pro Flight Library or Summit Aviation's Reference Library ....look up what you want, then copy and paste it here. Then YOU could bring a lot of information to this board. A lot of VALUABLE information.:)

There is a HUGE difference between being able to read and recite and being able to understand and explain. Avbug is able to do the latter better than most anyone else on this board.

No. He cuts and pastes. Which ANYONE can do.

Byt hey...if you think he is superior, just as HE thinks he is superior, then that is your business.

One summer checking into the hotel we learned that the biggest discounts went to truckers, not government workers, not to pilots, not to corporate. We identified ourselves as truckers. They asked what kind, and we simply said, "belly dump." I'll take the room discount over the heartwarming thrill of being recognized as a "pilot."

ROFLMAO!! OMG Avbug...I wish I had heard that over the last five years...would have save Joe Taxpayer some bucks on hotel rooms!

You know...I guess I don't get why ya'll get so riled up at Avbug. I know we're posting pet peeves but when Avbug posts that he goes out of his way to do the human thing, he gets bashed. Having never been required to wear a uniform ala an airline (I've been lucky, most of my jobs required to wear shorts, jeans, nomex suits or dockers and a polo.) so I've never been mistaken for a bus driver/bellman/etc. But when I've been asked where a bus is, etc, I've always offered what I knew or tried to find out.

I guess I was raised differently....you know...be kind to strangers and all...

Eric

UPS Capt said:
I always got the "you're too young" blah, blah...when I flew turboprops for the commuters. Now that I'm "old enough" with a little gray hair and flying heavy jets, I now have to put up with the "Do you ever want to fly for the airlines?".."Do you ever want to be a commercial or airline pilot?" Do you ever plan to *move up* to flying passengers?" crowd. I just have to quietly laugh and shrug it off.

For the young bucks out there. Develop a thick skin. The naive comments from the uniformed will always be there. Most people truly have no idea and your attempts to educate them will most likely fall on deaf ears.

I've been around the biz long enough to see the tide turn and many *passenger* pilots are being asked the same questions about getting on with a freight company.

Heck, if I were you, I'd respond (to the moving 'up' flying passengers) with:

Yeah, I thought about it, but BOXES DON'T AS STUPID QUESTIONS!
or Yeah, maybe, but I don't think I could afford the PAY CUT

leardawg said:
A couple of managers at the FBO's are a$$hole morons, and ought to be fired and sent back to the grill at McDonalds. Business is business, and green money is good no matter who dishes it out. Been there.

Yea, at a fast food restaurant at least they would not be wearing jeans and tee's they would be wherein a cheap pin striped dress shirt and polyester slacks being able to toss their bad ass know it all attitude on a bunch of teen age or illegal immigrant employees. hahaha always wonderd where them people come from....

Turkey Shoot said:
If you're old enough to go enlist and face an enemy weilding automatic or shoulder fired weapons, you should be old enough to buy beer.

I agree!!!! I contribute to the delinquency of our minor troops that have served war time all the time. Shhh Don’t tell anyone ok!!!

A friend of mine is a Public Pretender hahah!!! she was reading this thread and called me saying that if you think pilots get a bad comments try his job. she gets the same thing but on a grander scale becuse he works with more of the public, When you Going to Be A real Attorney? Arent You a little young to practice law? You make a ton of money and are in it for the money!

BTW, bug, go make yourself useful and fly the new fire in Volusia County, FL. About 15 miles south of Daytona Beach, threatening 1000 homes. Just a week after another fire a few miles away burned homes.

Thanks.

Already engaged this time around, thanks.

Burned homes to you. Job security to some of us. Daddy needs a new glock.

And no...it wasn't a rest home, I had business there. This really facinates you?

avbug said:
At issue here are pilots who are "pissed off good" because they aren't recognized as pilots right away. It's a vanity thing. Pilots who are put out because they aren't given the respect they're vain enough to believe they deserve...that's pathetic.
When I use to have to wear a uniform and epauletes for my job, I can't tell you the number of times I was mistaken in public for a security guard, grocery store clerk, hotel staff, valet, etc.

Wearing your uniform in public does NOT give you the respect or recognition that you think your getting from the public!

Nice to see your grumpy self back Avbug. :beer:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back