• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comments that piss you off good.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've had the...Are you old enough to be the pilot? thing too. I grew a mustache and it helped. I've directed folks in Wal-Mart and carried other peoples bags. I've gotten to the point that most of it doesn't bother me. The one big exception right now is, the Vice-COO of the company I fly for. He thinks I don't do anything. He is always telling us, "You guys show up at the airport, takeoff, turn the autopilot on when wait to get to the next airport and land. Then sit around and do nothing all day and fly home."

It is a waste of breath to try to explain to him what goes into a flight. Not to mention everything before and after. Plus just sitting there waiting will bore a hole right through your head. Also, I'm 45, have salt and pepper hair and still have the mustache. He is nervous when I fly because he's not sure I'm old enough. All that stuff wouldn't bother me except....what's going to happen if this guy gets the COO job?

FN FAL said:
Don't get killed in the dirt hole...that wouldn't be fun.

If you're old enough to go enlist and face an enemy weilding automatic or shoulder fired weapons, you should be old enough to buy beer.

BTW, it sucks bad enough to sleep in a hasty or even an impoved hole but to die in one would certainly suck.

minitour said:
So...tell us...we all want to know.

When will you be finished with that cure for cancer?

-mini

No kidding! What a saint. I would have already written the Pope but I need this guy to translate it into Italian for me first. In the mean time your merit badge is in the mail.

mitsdriver said:
A couple of managers at the FBO's have said to me and others something to the effect of "We don't want you freight guys with T-shirts and jeans in here. We're trying to project professional image to our customers."

Look, just a suggestion. When you are hanging out in the FBO you just never know when you might meet someone that is looking for a pilot. It's called being in the right place at the right time. Now, when that happens do you want to be the guy wearing ratty ass jeans and a t-shirt with holes in it, or do you think you might present a better image if you are wearing some kahki pants and a polo shirt?

Coool Hand Luke said:
No kidding! What a saint. I would have already written the Pope but I need this guy to translate it into Italian for me first. In the mean time your merit badge is in the mail.

Why bother with the Pope? Avbug's last name is "Christ"....didn't you know?

Seriously bug...I mean this with much love. You bring a LOT of information to this board...a lot of VALUABLE information...but you could also use a lesson in...................what's the word......tact? That doesn't quite say it....humility? Not sure...it's something.

Don't think we don't appreciate the information, but come on....could you be any more perfect?

-mini

BTW, bug, go make yourself useful and fly the new fire in Volusia County, FL. About 15 miles south of Daytona Beach, threatening 1000 homes. Just a week after another fire a few miles away burned homes.

Thanks.

minitour said:
Seriously bug... You bring a LOT of information to this board...a lot of VALUABLE information...

-mini

Anyone with the desire could get the same information. Subscribe to either the ASA Pro Flight Library or Summit Aviation's Reference Library ....look up what you want, then copy and paste it here. Then YOU could bring a lot of information to this board. A lot of VALUABLE information.:)

Coool Hand Luke said:
Look, just a suggestion. When you are hanging out in the FBO you just never know when you might meet someone that is looking for a pilot. It's called being in the right place at the right time. Now, when that happens do you want to be the guy wearing ratty ass jeans and a t-shirt with holes in it, or do you think you might present a better image if you are wearing some kahki pants and a polo shirt?

Point well taken. However most of the freight guys these days, myself included, do not wear "ratty ass jeans" or "T-shirts with holes". We wear, like you suggested, polo shirts and khaki pants or at least clean, plain, untorn T-shirts and jeans, along with company-issued jackets. You just don't see a stereotypical image of an ungroomed freight dog with oil-stained jeans or ripped "No Fear" T-shirts these days (at least I don't). The problem with some FBO's is that unless you're wearing penguin suits and hauling pax in a jet, you're treated like a third-class citizen. And that's not right. BTW, I've also seen piston charter guys get similar treatment at some places.

minitour said:
"Can you fly by yourself?"
"can you take passengers"
"do you just fly the little planes?"
"can you fly the big jets?"
"do you want to be a commercial pilot some day?"
"why don't you just go fly for an airline?"
If I had a nickle for every time I heard one of those, I'd have enough to pay for an ERAU education! But you can't really blame people for their lack of knowledge of the aviation industry, afterall, it is a lot different than your average 9-5 cubical job. I'm actually really curious about how train & boat drivers get to do what they do...I just hope I don't sound stupid asking them questions if I ever come across one of them.

Last edited:
I used to get the question, "are we going to have a safe trip today?" to which I would answer "what day is it?"

The one I get about every week now is, "Are you the captain?" and the standard reply is, "that's what my analyst tells me!"

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back