Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

800 Driver

Hey all,

I am being furloughed from a "major" carrier on the fifth of february. I am starting class on Feb 14th in the Hawker 800XP.

This was not an easy decision. I have flown 121 for 10 years now and the change scares me a little. Especially after reading some of the posts on this site. However, I am looking forward to working at Netjets.

Before you all jump on me, I want to see if I have my info right.

1. Pay sucks. True, but I feel that will change in the near future. Besides, from what my buddy there tells me, with all the nontax income, it's about what I take home now making $60000/yr. A little less, but not by much.

2. Long hours. Well, for those that have never been at an airline, you will run 10 to 14 hours days there also. So that's a wash.

3. You don't know where you are going when you are flying. Big deal. I figure they own me for my tour so I don't care where I go.

As far as I can tell, that pretty much covers the bad. Now the good as I see it.

1. Live pretty much where you want to.
2. Airline to work positive space with NO jumpseating. For commuters, this is a dream.
3. Rarely work any days off. Not so if you are a commuter at an airline.
4. Company paid health insurance. Yes, I have looked at it and it is outstanding coverage compared to the airlines.
5. Crew meals.
6. A few other perks that I can't think of right now.

Anyway, I am looking forward to joining y'all on the line in the 800XP.

Take care,

Fed-up airline pilot Matt

I'm not sure how you get from $27,000 a year to $60,000. As to the rest, PM me your number and I'll fill you in.

800 Driver said:
1. Pay sucks. True, but I feel that will change in the near future. Besides, from what my buddy there tells me, with all the nontax income, it's about what I take home now making $60000/yr. A little less, but not by much.

1st year is $28k. MY 3rd YEAR CAPTAIN's W2 came to $51k...and THAT was WITH overtime and holiday pay. Your buddy is LYING to you or just an idiot.

2. Long hours. Well, for those that have never been at an airline, you will run 10 to 14 hours days there also. So that's a wash.

You have NO idea. A day at Nutjets doesn't even compare to a day at the majors. If you thought a day at Brand X Major airline was tough, this will KILL you. (I am furloughed from brand X major too).

3. You don't know where you are going when you are flying. Big deal. I figure they own me for my tour so I don't care where I go.

Yes, this is no big deal and your "buddy" was right on this one.

As far as I can tell, that pretty much covers the bad. Now the good as I see it.

1. Live pretty much where you want to.

Well there are "rules" regarding your gateway...but you will get all that in indoc. ALSO, the company WANTS DESPERATELY to FORCE all new hires to live within NINETY MILES of an RCA. There are only FIVE RCA's currently identified. This was voted DOWN in the last contract vote but don't be surprised if this happens in the future. I'm sure your "buddy" forgot to tell you this too.

2. Airline to work positive space with NO jumpseating. For commuters, this is a dream.

If you don't live at your gateway you WILL have a crashpad and you WILL miss jumpseating. If you LIVE at a gateway, it is an advantage as you will start/end each tour at your "gateway" (hub). NOT having jumpseating privileges is NOT a dream dude. Again, you will see.

3. Rarely work any days off. Not so if you are a commuter at an airline.

NOT ! I was just involuntarily extended last tour. The LAST thing anyone wants to hear is, "we are involuntarily extending you because of blah blah blah." Especially when you are **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** READY to go home.

4. Company paid health insurance. Yes, I have looked at it and it is outstanding coverage compared to the airlines.

Were you REALLY at a Major ? Unless the post 9/11 benefits have absolutely TANKED, I can't see what we have here as "better" than at a Major airline. Could be wrong, I have been furloughed for 3 years now.

5. Crew meals.

Of COURSE you get crew meals...your salary is such a JOKE that you NEED crew meals. The company would rather you not die on the road from starvation. They need you to fill a seat.

6. A few other perks that I can't think of right now.

um....I can't either...even after 3+ years here.

Anyway, I am looking forward to joining y'all on the line in the 800XP.
Take care,
Fed-up airline pilot Matt

I recommend you NEVER talk to your "buddy" again. He is either misinformed/lying/stupid. Now don't you fret, some management hack will come on here and say how GREAT it is here at Nutjets and you will feel all warm and fuzzy about it all again...but we all see the ugly truth once we get here. You are coming in, and I am fighting to get out...but I DO wish you luck. Nutjets is better than unemployment...sort of.

800 driver,

Welcome aboard. I'll be in CMH Feb. 7-26 for Falcon 2000 intial. Maybe I'll see you around. Hopefully we can all put our efforts into continuing to improve this place, and maybe less just bitching and not doing anything about it. Best of luck to you.

800 Driver

401K isn't half bad either. You can put 15% into your 401K and the company will match half

Vacation Months are nice too. With the 17 day schedule you will get 11 days off in a row during your vacation week

You will NOT make 60K as an FO.... now way. I'm on 5 year CPT's pay, flying the "flex" schedule, which means I work 19 days per month for an extra $900. Doing this for 3 out of 4 qtrs, I made a whopping $76K last year... that's without per diem. So you are WAAAAAAY overestimating your salary. The other things you say are pretty much on.
You will have to work harder than a 121.. eg.. sling bags, vacuum, wipe, post flight, order fuel, coffee, papers, get catering onboard etc.
As far as not knowing where you're going, this is true. The good part is you will see MANY places a 121 pilot never will.
IF we ever get paid what we're worth, and get the good schdule for everyone and a good scope, this will be a great place to work.
Be that as it may, I have an ap in a SWA and will go there in a heartbeat.

yo hydrkt lets go man..... I'm going to walk the dog. I'm hungry though. Saki saki saki saki

Hey flyfish have you gotten hotel info for the ES? I'm still waiting for hotel info. I wish we could go to the homeboy sweets.

Looking forward to having study sessions at sirens.

When I made the camparison to 60K it was in terms of NET TAKE HOME.

AT 60K I take home 3000K per month. LOTS of taxes taken out.

At 27500K I should TAKE HOME about $2800/mo (includes per diem, etc)

That was the comparison.

Thanks for all the replies. Still looking forward to something different for a change.

Hey newsflash here........ NetJets is not Delta, FEDEX or SWA. We have an upcomming HUGE labor battle that anyone comming here better be ready to flight (remember the UAL 570 group) While NutJets may be messed up we are TRYING to make this place at least a so so place to work. This will never be a 121 turn left close the door make 200K. We work here and SOME I say some of the benefits are good. Insurance one of them. Pay we wont even talk about it. Thats been beat to death enough.

I will say this......The NetJets pilot group is unified beyond belief. We will not stand by while management drags this contract out. We have a new MEC leadership and its going to get ulgy. If you support us great! Stand up like so many other pilots at other places in the past 20 years. The time is now to make a change and a stance.

Latest resources

Back