• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Combiner Instrument and multi-engine rating

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Something to think about, alot of flight schools twins do not cost that much more than the school's complex airplane.

I've got a guy doing that right now.

Plusses:
Gets him twin time that he needs to go where he wants to go.

Negatives:
He gets behind the airplane really quickly on a partial panel approach. Toss in an engine failure and possibly popping the gear breaker.........it gets ugly.

In the single, he's 110% ready for the instrument ride....just not in the twin.

It can be done though.

-mini

Get your private - multi add on, then do instrument in the twin. Just make sure you have a sim to use so you actually understand what you are doing before you go blowing up time in the plane. Multi time is golden and if you can incorportate it into as much of your training as possible then you'll be head of alot of people. Without enough multi you won't get a job. Not to mention most FBO's require at least 75 hours in the type and 500 TT to instuct in a twin which ususally amouts to you haveing to buy more time and at some places having to pay for and instructor to fly with you in a plane you are already rated in becasue of dam insurance requirements.

After I have received my Private pilots license, is it possible to train for my instrument combined with a multi engine rating at the same time. People usually use single engine aircraft to get their instrument rating. Once that training is completed, they then go onto getting their multi engine rating?

What used to be common was training for the commerical and instrument ride together. Learning to fly on instruments should be done in a single engine plane for cost efficiency. Once you're ready for the checkride, you could get 10 hours or so of multi instruction and combine the two rides.

Latest resources

Back