• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair's Sole Crash Survivor wants to fly again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just out of curiosity, how would you feel about a wet behind the ears 1LT that made a mistake and got 49 Marines (an entire platoon) killed? Would the Corps give him his job back? What if he actually sued others in an attempt to place blame elsewhere? Would you want your son under his command?
We all make mistakes and we all realize that mistakes have consequences. The consequences of this particular mistake for 49 people (and their families) was death. The consequences are probably going to be another line of work for the guy who is responsible.
There is a expectation of death in battle, not in flying.

Last edited:
This post needs to be shut down. There is no respect. All airlines have made a mistake. Southwest could have killed thousands with their latest cracks. Those are the mistakes that should never happened. I remember a certain regional that went up to FL410 to have a little fun. That could have killed thousands depending on where they ended up. NOW those kind of accidents have no excuse.
You want to shut it down, but definitely not before giving your $.02.

Uh......apparently not EVERYONE!
Keep in mind that fatigue played a major part in this accident. You can brief all you want and still may forget something if you become distracted by some unwanted input. They could have flown in and out of there 300 times and it wouldn't have mattered.

I'm not pointing any fingers here but didn't the Capt. line the airplane up on the runway? I don't think the FO steers the RJ with the rudder onto the runway do they? (at least not on a regular basis) Just one tiller on the thing right? I'm also not saying it was all the Capt's fault either.... the flying pilot should have his heading bug on the departure runways heading and the non flying guy has his heading bug set to the assigned departure heading...... (at least thats in our ops specs for good reason ~ as far as I'm concerned). They "both" should have caught the mistake if they followed some simple good habits

Just for clarification, there is only one heading bug in the CRJ. They can't be set independently. Comair's SOP's at the time of the crash called for bugging runway heading OR the departure heading if the turn is to be made at 400' AGL or lower. They were assigned a heading after departure and followed the procedures.

Monday Morning

Keep in mind that fatigue played a major part in this accident. You can brief all you want and still may forget something if you become distracted by some unwanted input. They could have flown in and out of there 300 times and it wouldn't have mattered.
They were tired. I can understand that. Maybe they flew in there a thousand times. I don't know and I don't make any judgement in this case.

My point was that for someone (PCL) who seems to have a "holier than thou" complex because this is a regional board should be "majorly" professional enough to have made an effort to make the airport safer if it truly was "an accident waiting to happen" and "an abortion". Nice choice of analogies by the way. Everyone's got an opinion but this is Monday Morning QB at it's finest.

My point was that for someone (PCL) who seems to have a "holier than thou" complex because this is a regional board should be "majorly&quot
I have no "holier than thou" complex, I simply find it reprehensible that all of the people on this thread think they can second guess the actions of this crew and put them down while one of them is dead and the other is permanently disabled. Absolutely disgusting.

I have no "holier than thou" complex, I simply find it reprehensible that all of the people on this thread think they can second guess the actions of this crew and put them down while one of them is dead and the other is permanently disabled. Absolutely disgusting.
Fair enough. I'm out.

I can admire his passion for flying, but he needs to hang up the wings.

Maybe he can be involved in the aviation community by driving around airports and checking the validity of Jepp charts, or giving lectures on being an assertive FO or ALPA's pilot fatigue representative.

No flame here but how did fatigue factor in? I didn't read the final briefs. Wasn't the crew coming off a long layover and it was the 1st flight of the day? It's easy to play the fatigue card just like crying wolf.

Latest resources

Back