Comairs Big Announcement! [rumor mill]

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DX Rick

My buddy flew with a Union rep this week, and had another on the jumpseat.
Both said there will be a big announcement within 7 days. They said it's going to be about who Comair is merging with.
On top of that, they added that all the guys who are in bad standing will go to the bottom of the seniority list after the merger.

I call BS and that the union is trying to threaten the guys into paying up on the merger assesment fee in fear of being at the bottom of the list.

Both said there will be a big announcement within 7 days. They said it's going to be about who Comair is merging with.

I heard we're merging with Air Tahiti Nui and we'll run RJs from Papeete to Moorea. The pay's gonna suck, but the bases will be great.

On top of that, they added that all the guys who are in bad standing will go to the bottom of the seniority list after the merger.

I call BS and that the union is trying to threaten the guys into paying up on the merger assesment fee in fear of being at the bottom of the list.

I flew with MC (MEC chair) last month, he believed we would merge the Wholly-Owneds. I didn't believe him then and I wouldn't believe him now. Even if we merged, I doubt we would get a merged list. They would just merge the HR, Payroll, customer service and other non-flight functions.

Even if we did, you can bet we would have a bunch of pissed off people here after it went through, as it sure as hell won't be DOH. For some reason alot of captains I have flown with who start discussing this topic seem to think DOH is the only fair way to do it(I do not), obviously fair depends on your point of view.

I do know a couple guys that have been "booted out" because of not paying the assessment fee. I'll see if they tell him anything.

Last edited:
I flew with MC (MEC chair) last month, he believed we would merge the Wholly-Owneds. I didn't believe him then and I wouldn't believe him now. Even if we merged, I doubt we would get a merged list. They would just merge the HR, Payroll, customer service and other non-flight functions.

Even if we did, you can bet we would have a bunch of pissed off people here after it went through, as it sure as hell won't be DOH. For some reason alot of captains I have flown with who start discussing this topic seem to think DOH is the only fair way to do it(I do not), obviously fair depends on your point of view.

I do know a couple guys that have been "booted out" because of not paying the assessment fee. I'll see if they tell him anything.

What exactly is this "assessment fee?"

Trojan

What exactly is this "assessment fee?"

Trojan

The MEC decided to have a "merger fund" and assess each member 20 a month. It kinda came out of nowhere as there wasn't even a hint it was on the table. One we got an email that they were going to charge us 20 a month for the next year to put a lawyer on retainer in case it is needed.

I am skeptical as our union has had some questionable expenses under the old regime and our current regime has failed to come through on the promises about being transparent about the "merger fund". I'll give our MEC chairman credit, at least he gets out there and flies, so the union doesn't end paying his entire salary...that is something JC never did, he had to do OE after he resigned as MEC chairman.

They stated they would post the balances and expenses subtracted form the fund online at the alpa site. After 4 or 5 months they still haven't.

Some people just flat our refused to pay it. I have also heard they have been sending bills to our furloughed pilots expecting them to pay the assessment fee.

Last edited:
I am almost certain they will combine Mesaba Compass Holdings, Inc and Delta Connection Inc., but there is no reason to merge the pilot groups. That would give the new carrier too much power come negotiations. Keep them separate and let them argue and hate each other when they take each other's planes.

In the last couple of years we have seen both sides of the stick from our MEC. JC was a puss and caved into management(he sucked at leading the strike), and Mark has fought Dave so hard that he has actually got the pilot group pissed at him. Mark got into the Chair position because we wanted someone who would stand up to mang. Unfortunately Mark does not know how to pick battles, although thankfully he has not budge on the min line value. Mark now leads like Soaper does ex: if you don't do this it will make life hell for you. We now will hopefully get a new MEC chair that is in the middle of these 2. Their are a few guys running that could do this job a lot better. Hopefully the LECS will make this clear Weds.

Last edited:
our current regime has failed to come through on the promises about being transparent about the "merger fund".

Or about anything else, for that matter. Every message I get from them boils down to "just trust us".

I am almost certain they will combine Mesaba Compass Holdings, Inc and Delta Connection Inc., but there is no reason to merge the pilot groups. That would give the new carrier too much power come negotiations. Keep them separate and let them argue and hate each other when they take each other's planes.

they all belong to big daddy delta

why would you give up airplanes if they actually belonged to you?

Latest resources

Back