• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

comair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sadly, I think this rumor has merit. We have seen this before with Pan Am and Delta. The Duke Spellacy lawsuit was a result of something similar to this.

CMR has had a target on it's back since the strike in 2001. Despite what the ALPA cheerleaders say, it wasn't really a success. 89 days after the strike started, the final agreement wasn't much more than the "last, best, final agreement" prior to the strike.

During the strike, ASA flew CMR airplanes. During the strike, ALPA carriers DAL, ACA, and ASA flew CMR passengers through different hubs.

After the strike, CMR flying has been parted out to other ALPA DCI carriers.

It is time for the ALPA chest thumpers and cheerleaders to put up or shut up....I intend to bring a resolution to the floor of the next 112 LEC meeting to ask that current CMR pilots be given priority hiring WITH THEIR CMR DOH for bidding purposes.

Either we are one together or we aren't...A national seniority list may not be possible, but this certainly is.

Rez...PCL128....Nevets...Will you support this or won't you?

Last edited:
Email address has been established:

[email protected]

This IS NOT a decertification effort. I am looking for people to support LEC resolutions to give CMR pilots preferential hiring WITH THEIR CMR DOH.

As a ten year ASA guy i agree with a lot of what you say.....however, not this time. I'm on the 50. So youre saying, if roles were reversed, that a 4 year ASA fo on the 70 would get Doh at comair while I got walking papers?

Sadly, I think this rumor has merit. We have seen this before with Pan Am and Delta. The Duke Spellacy lawsuit was a result of something similar to this.

CMR has had a target on it's back since the strike in 2001. Despite what the ALPA cheerleaders say, it wasn't really a success. 89 days after the strike started, the final agreement wasn't much more than the "last, best, final agreement" prior to the strike.

During the strike, ASA flew CMR airplanes. During the strike, ALPA carriers DAL, ACA, and ASA flew CMR passengers through different hubs.

After the strike, CMR flying has been parted out to other ALPA DCI carriers.

It is time for the ALPA chest thumpers and cheerleaders to put up or shut up....I intend to bring a resolution to the floor of the next 112 LEC meeting to ask that current CMR pilots be given priority hiring WITH THEIR CMR DOH for bidding purposes.

Either we are one together or we aren't...A national seniority list may not be possible, but this certainly is.

Rez...PCL128....Nevets...Will you support this or won't you?

What is your objective here?

What are you looking to accomplish?

What is in the zone amongst our peers with regard to reasonableness on this idea?

What would your response be when you are asked about how your own personal seniority factored into this decision?

What would your response be when asked about your proposal by an ASA FO just coming back off of furlough?

I could support their CMH DOH for longevity purposes, but I'm not going to support guys coming to our list with other carriers DOH for bidding purposes. If we collectively decided to do that, why stop at CMH? Why not have a furloughed Delta guy bump everyone, including the senior lifers who intend to stay at ASA for the duration, on the ASA list down a spot? Why not have a furloughed CAL/UAL guy do the same thing? How about a furloughed Eastern guy? Braniff? TWA? Pan-Am?

Last edited:
As a ten year ASA guy i agree with a lot of what you say.....however, not this time. I'm on the 50. So youre saying, if roles were reversed, that a 4 year ASA fo on the 70 would get Doh at comair while I got walking papers?
We know that while ASA was in Section 6, Comair's MEC approached management to secure ASA flying by offering to cut Comair rates below ASA's. Ironically, the Comair MEC sent "We Support You" stickers to the ASA pilots, while ASA pilots were getting displaced and downgraded. As an ASA pilot, that "support" earned my enmity for Comair's then MEC. Delta pilots have similar concerns after JC Lawson wrote that mixing Delta crews on Comair flight decks could be a safety issue if they kept their Delta numbers while on furlough.

Despite the Comair MEC's unique ability to offend nearly everyone they have come into contact with, I agree Joe's idea would be the right thing to do, IF the airplanes come over on a long term agreement. Otherwise, he's just selling out his First Officers by giving preference to pilots at another airline. Generally, in this business you pick your carrier and live with the result for better or worse. Most of us don't get a "do over" without having to start at the bottom.

Joe's attempt to paddle the ASA life raft over to the Titanic is very generous. But, as even he mentions, it is risky for ALPA to administer.

IMHO, the rumors of Comair's imminent demise are overblown. When does the Comair contract open for negotiations? A lot of this sounds like the usual management posturing. ... and if a sale to SkyWest is in the works, then be happy. Sure beats Hulas.

Last edited:
Joe,
To clarify your remarks, is your proposal contingent on airplanes also coming over with pilots, or just adding their pilots to the Atlantic Southeast seniority list?

I understand that job insecurity can be a chronic stress issue and lead crews to distraction. But... I for one am not that concerned with it. I feel like we have known this is a jacked up industry for a long time. I have gotten used to it. Of course, I only have my mouth to feed and have saved a few dollars. I appreciate that others may be in a different scenario and really have legitimate concerns. But, you want to talk stress. Ever had center say, "jot this number down!" To me it is hard to concentrate with that until you land. (Only happened once. Turned out to be nothing.)

I just don't understand people getting that worked up over it now. I always tell myself, I was flying before Comair and I will be flying long after Comair. I protect my career, my passengers, my fellow crew. I may have a job in a few months, I may not. If anything I think I appreciate the flying more (The actual flying. not the 4 hour airport breaks, frequent DHing, etc. That part still sucks. But I know that it won't last long now.)

So WMU, things are going to change. I am a level-headed, 7 year fo, who generally has a pretty good attitude, and who wants the best for Comair. I am not a naysayer. But seriously, it is pretty bleak. At most regionals it is all about new (i.e. replacement) airframes. Regional aircraft don't last forever and when they start getting up in years, like a good chunk of a/c at Comair and Piedmont, etc., the status quo is not an option. Sure we may not lose 50 a/c next year like some of the rumors go, but at best it will only be 5 or 10 and then 5 or 10 the next year, etc. I don't have a fleet break down, but the earliest RJ's have got to be on a short list to go away. Think of our CRJ 100's as Brett Favre. Ok, maybe we will get one more year out of them. But 2 more years, 3 more years? Without some replacement airframes on the near horizon we are left with a shrinking fleet.

I am not saying Comair is done forever. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I don't put much stock in grand plans from Delta, or their still being upset by the strike, or us being "marked" as red headed step children. There are a thousand factors and things are very dynamic. It could all boil down to an arbitrary board room decision in Atlanta. Crazy things happen. Maybe we will be flying the new C-series in 3 years. I truly believe anything can happen. I bet money that we do get an announcement and it will be something that we haven't even heard of yet. I.E., Soaper got canned and I didn't hear a peep about it before it happened. But as for our fate, no news will be bad news. Comair is a sinking ship unless positive changes take place. Present course is a shrinking airline.

So...WEBN is buying us. There you go. Heard it here first. And we will get one 757 to fly the Bengals and the Reds to games.

My advice, go to Colgan, get some PIC, and move on. Seriously, Comair seems like a sinking ship. You may want to get on with someone else ahead of the next wave. And, it is doubtful you will get a 757.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
I'm waiting to be furloughed so that will give me time to find a new job. If I were you I'd just wait and if you get furloughed maybe you will be recalled. If we lose a/c, I'm pretty sure I'll be on the furlough list. I just wish we'd know something soon. If an announcement is going to be made about us losing a/c, being sold etc., why is JB waiting until 9/13 to start the employee town hall meetings. Seems like he'd start those meetings right away if we are supposed to get real bad news this Tuesday or Wednesday. I wish you and others all the best.

Apply to Delta. They supposedly will hire around 700 stews coming up here.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Apply to Delta. They supposedly will hire around 700 stews coming up here.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I don't enjoy my job anymore. I get 11 days off per month here and would like tobbe home more. I don't know what life is like for fas there..probably better. Id love to start a pet sitting business and work with animals like a vet tech.

Latest resources

Back