Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PositionandHold

Truthiness
I don't know how up to date the information on airlinepilotcentral is, but I'm trying to work the next few months out (continue teaching to hit 1,000hrs or apply to Comair and others with lower hour quals).

The preferable goal right now is to get hired at a regional with a good upgrade time (good being 2 years or less). Whether or not this is realistic or not I do not know, but I know of people upgrading at Skywest and Pinnacle in under 2 years.

My question involves Comair, specifically. APC lists their most junior captain as having been hired in 2002. Are things looking to change with their supposed large amount of hiring this year?

J.

Asking about upgrade when you haven't even been hired at a company yet is like using yesterday's newspaper to get next week's sports scores.

Not trying to be a wise a##...just stating the truth.

I see what you mean, but for instance, it's common knowledge that Eagle has had a really long upgrade time. I know a couple of people there who are in the process of leaving in pursuit other carriers. Skywest is supposed to, from what I've heard from some buddies that work there, have a pretty short upgrade time.

I was just wondering if the hiring of 400+ pilots in 2007 will shorten the upgrade time.

2 things generate upgrades. People leaving and buying new airplanes.

If neither of those things happen, the upgrade will stagnate. Now here's the important part so listen carefully:

NOMATTER HOW SHORT THE UPGRADE TIME HAS BEEN ON THE DAY YOU GET HIRED, IT WILL NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT YOUR UPGRADE TIME.

Too many variables over time. Pick a regional you think you'll be happy at in the RIGHT seat. Because the best laid plans of mice and men sometimes go awry.

watch comair very carefully - I think they might get bought and then kiss your upgrade time question goodbye

The direct answer to your question is 'upgrade' will likely take several years. The hiring you've heard about is not for expansion, it is to replace attrition.

The good news is that if it takes a bit, or a lot, longer to upgrade you will probably be acually qualified for command when it does happen.

The minimum upgrade flight time at CMR is currently 3000 hours. Depending on your experience when you start, that migh help to give you an idea of how long it would take at a minimum.

Not trying to rain on your parade.

I don't know how up to date the information on airlinepilotcentral is, but I'm trying to work the next few months out (continue teaching to hit 1,000hrs or apply to Comair and others with lower hour quals).

Here...you do the math. Must have 3000TT plus 500 in CL65 before they will even let you play the upgrade game. Start with your 1000TT then add three-and-one-half months for initial training. Then add one-and-one-half months for IOE and the initial 100 hours of operation time and then average about 70-75 hours a month on reserve (reserve in CVG is about four years, and JFK is two years, GSO is about three years, MCO is off the chart). Then figure in the most junior captain has been at Comair for five years. I just flew with him. So the way I figure it...four to five years is not unrealistic. We are loosing tons pilots right now so it could be a little less.

Then you need about 1500 to 2000 hours of turbine/jet pic to go up from the regionals. Looks like a long time.

Yeah right.

Reserve in JFK is 6 months or less . . . is what i'm hearing as a new hire.

I've been JFK for 18 months and I have been on reserve for the entire time up until Feb. 2007. So whoever is telling you it's six months they are out of their mind. Even with 4100 hours of flight time for the base that is still impossible. Just so you know...pilots who have been on reserve in CVG for two and three years are tired of being on reserve and are bidding JFK just to get off reserve...so as they arrive in JFK everyone below them moves down. Let me qoute Flava Flav..."Don't believe the hype."

Reserve in JFK is 6 months or less . . . is what i'm hearing as a new hire.

In another thread someone mentioned in their interview they were told we are getting crj 900s. I would take everything you hear in regard to airplanes, upgrade times, and reserve times with are very large grain of salt.

Latest resources

Back