Comair upgrade time question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Avg. reg upgrade= 3.8 years

The preferable goal right now is to get hired at a regional with a good upgrade time (good being 2 years or less). Whether or not this is realistic or not I do not know, but I know of people upgrading at Skywest and Pinnacle in under 2 years.

Why does every CFI out there think a 2 year or less upgrade at the regionals is the norm and almost a constitutional right?? I hope it works out for you but since you asked, I will give you a dose of reality. Partly out of curiousity myself, I took data from airlinepilotcentral.com and figured the average upgrade times for the regional industry as a whole, based on the number of pilots flying at the jet regionals. I came up with an average upgrade time of 3.8 years....that's right, almost FOUR years. 53% of pilots were flying at an airline with less than a three year upgrade and only 23% were at an airline with less than a two year upgrade. Those at less than two years were primarily at Chautauqua and Skywest where upgrades will be getting longer, especially at Skywest. It's simple mathematics...they have 2,500 pilots so the bigger they get, the longer it will take. It's short right now because many FO's have the seniority but don't have the hours to upgrade...that will change in the next two years so for someone getting hired today I would say it's too late.

Comair is a wild card...it looks bad there now but coming out of bankruptcy they could be (emphasize COULD BE) poised for significant growth and with 1,500 pilots, that's a much smaller mountain to climb than SKywest. Than again Delta could shrink them. I know it makes it tough to make a decision...welcome to the airline biz!

The bottom line is that regional airlines have taken over so many mainline flights and gotten so big, pilots will have to spend more time at the regionals than they have in the years past. Again, it's simply a numbers game. Sure there will be those that happen to be in the right place at the right time but very few planned it that way. My advice...pick an airline based on QOL and located in the place you want to be in the long run.

Why does every CFI out there think a 2 year or less upgrade at the regionals is the norm and almost a constitutional right?? I hope it works out for you but since you asked, I will give you a dose of reality. Partly out of curiousity myself, I took data from airlinepilotcentral.com and figured the average upgrade times for the regional industry as a whole, based on the number of pilots flying at the jet regionals. I came up with an average upgrade time of 3.8 years....that's right, almost FOUR years. 53% of pilots were flying at an airline with less than a three year upgrade and only 23% were at an airline with less than a two year upgrade. Those at less than two years were primarily at Chautauqua and Skywest where upgrades will be getting longer, especially at Skywest. It's simple mathematics...they have 2,500 pilots so the bigger they get, the longer it will take. It's short right now because many FO's have the seniority but don't have the hours to upgrade...that will change in the next two years so for someone getting hired today I would say it's too late.

Comair is a wild card...it looks bad there now but coming out of bankruptcy they could be (emphasize COULD BE) poised for significant growth and with 1,500 pilots, that's a much smaller mountain to climb than SKywest. Than again Delta could shrink them. I know it makes it tough to make a decision...welcome to the airline biz!

The bottom line is that regional airlines have taken over so many mainline flights and gotten so big, pilots will have to spend more time at the regionals than they have in the years past. Again, it's simply a numbers game. Sure there will be those that happen to be in the right place at the right time but very few planned it that way. My advice...pick an airline based on QOL and located in the place you want to be in the long run.

Well written.

The only thing I might add to the above wisdom is one would be wise to continue to develop skills and interests outside aviation, as well as a strong financial safety net. The airline that has a tolerable quality of life and reasonably acceptable payrates today may be in bankruptcy court six months from now.

The pride one feels from owning (well owning 10%-20% of) a nice big house or shiny new car quickly fades when compared to the pride one feels once it no longer matters (from an individual's financial viewpoint) if one's employer continues to remain in business.

If you want quick upgrades, look no further than the places no one likes to work (places where pilots are expected to spend their nights sleeping on airplanes and share rooms with mixed sexual preference crewmembers), and the places that fly equipment no one considers "glamorous" (beech 1900's). Just remember how important that PIC turbine time was to you after you've been there eight years, and had no luck getting hired by FedEx, UAL, etc.

Best of luck to you...wherever your course takes you.

I've been JFK for 18 months and I have been on reserve for the entire time up until Feb. 2007. So whoever is telling you it's six months they are out of their mind. Even with 4100 hours of flight time for the base that is still impossible. Just so you know...pilots who have been on reserve in CVG for two and three years are tired of being on reserve and are bidding JFK just to get off reserve...so as they arrive in JFK everyone below them moves down. Let me qoute Flava Flav..."Don't believe the hype."

I was on reserve for maybe two months at JFK. No way is it 2 years.

In the next boom (read the next 2 yrs), PIC time will not be a necessity just like it wasnt in 1999-2001. Those 4-5 yr regional captains flying 70 seaters will be hard pressed to make the move to first year pay at the majors. It may seem unbelievable, but regional F/O's will be making the jump to the big show before many of the captains.

In the next boom (read the next 2 yrs), PIC time will not be a necessity just like it wasnt in 1999-2001. Those 4-5 yr regional captains flying 70 seaters will be hard pressed to make the move to first year pay at the majors. It may seem unbelievable, but regional F/O's will be making the jump to the big show before many of the captains.

...and when regional FO's make the move before the Captains, they leave with no PIC time. Majors furlough...then the regional FO's are regional FO's once again. This time they are not 23 years in the right seat now they are 30 years old in the right seat with 23 year olds in the left seat..... My point, pay your dues, do your time or your impatience will come back to haunt you.

...and when regional FO's make the move before the Captains, they leave with no PIC time. Majors furlough...then the regional FO's are regional FO's once again. This time they are not 23 years in the right seat now they are 30 years old in the right seat with 23 year olds in the left seat..... My point, pay your dues, do your time or your impatience will come back to haunt you.

That doesn't make sense. Even if Captain's move on to the Majors and are furloughed, if they choose to go back to the regionals they will be FOs. In my opinion, you are dumb to pass up an opportunity to move on to a Major (if that's what you want to do) because you want to "pay your dues".

...I took data from airlinepilotcentral.com and figured the average upgrade times for the regional industry as a whole, based on the number of pilots flying at the jet regionals. I came up with an average upgrade time of 3.8 years...

Excellent post. I did the same analysis using the same website, and came to very similar conclusions. I figure that if I want to fly jets at a regional, I'm in it for pretty much 7-10 years.

-Goose

Latest resources

Back