• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair to lose Aircraft in Chap 11??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I was hoping for far less than this but I guess its not completely unexpected. It did cause me to drink a little early this afternoon however. It amazes me that we were running four classes a month just weeks ago, now talking about a major furlough. Jet, did your source mention any more Freddie-Sunshine moments like the Q-400 deal or was it all bad?

Yes, I heard 13% as well.

Flying, Serving, and Losing

Last edited:
ilinipilot said:
I doubt FB was near tears, unless it was tears of joy. All scum bag leaders are the same, and could give two sheets about the hard working men and woman out on the line..

I bet he was crying bc his Starbucks grande, carmel, iced, soy, half demi-cap, macciato was cold and the barista used 2% whipped cream when HE insisted they use 1.75% Wisconsin Dairy whipped cream.

D

You can believe the scumbag leader line, but I don't.

I think he's genuinely hurt that he's going to have to tell people they're going to be without a job and have to file for unemployment.

I honestly believe he has a heart and cares about his employees. That's just the impression of the kind of guy I believe he is from the several times I've seen and spoke to him. Sorry for not thinking the worst of people.

Jet

p.s. can't wait to dump the Delta anchor...[/QUOTE]

I can appreciate you feeling this way. But, the company you fly for is a feed source for Delta. While Comair has some routes that could be prfitable on a stand alone basis, the APE to CVG, or a majority of flights into CVG are feed so the pax can go to Hawii, London etc.. IAir is always the ugly puppy for the experimental RJ LCC.

Even if Comair is sold or goes indepent, which everyone wants, you will be saddled flying pax for a mismanaged CH 11 carrier. If not Delta than who. The effeciency of frequency is not there. We will go back to 3 flights on a major instead of 13 on an RJ.

While easy to place blame, Delta is not the sole source of your woes. You all did not go on strike against Delta, you will have those issues again.

Look at the problems at other regionals, Skywest, Pinnacle and so on. You all are going to face the same issues that the "legacy" carriers have been facing for the last 4 years. Everyone is willing to do it for less, and management's only focus is cost. Perhaps there will be a new catagory of Legacy Regionals.

I have always questioned the grow or die philosophy preached by Butrell. No one can grow forever.

Last edited:
fugghedabowdit said:
Well, I was hoping for far less than this but I guess its not completely unexpected. It did cause me to drink a little early this afternoon however. It amazes me that we were running four classes a month just weeks ago, now talking about a major furlough. Jet, did your source mention any more Freddie-Sunshine moments like the Q-400 deal or was it all bad?

Yes, I heard 13% as well.

Flying, Serving, and Losing

Lol Fugghedabowdit, I like the freddie-sunshine line and the flying, serving, and losing lines.

Both very appropriate.

I only talked to him a couple of minutes the other day between flights, and he didn't mention the Q-400 but I'm sure it's still in the works. Or I really hope so, cause I could really use a Freddie-Sunshine moment right about now. :)

Just called my friend and left him a message to call me back.

Jet

Last edited:
I don't think many people understand what it means when Comair pilots say they want to be independent of Delta. It doesn't mean we want to start our own LCC, it means we no longer want to be owned by Delta (as if we every really did.) Being an independent carrier (FFD just like Skywest/ASA, and CHQ) has major advantages over being a wholly-owned, the most important being that you can finance your own aircraft.

Make no mistakes, if we weren't owned by Delta, we would have been flying the EMB-170's for months, and the inevitible future furloughs would have been offset by growth to the 170's. The only reason we're not is because the financiers knew we were tied to the Deltanic, and they (financiers) were smart enough not to give us. Not even Bombardier and the Canadian governement, in their infinite good-mood financing world, would finance aircraft for Comair because of exactly what happened, Delta drug us into bk with them.

Comair is profitable. People like to say we aren't because Delta pays for fuel prices over a certain value, or some stations are handled by Delta, but all of these apply to Chautauqua, Freedom, and Skywest, and nobody is questioning whether or not they are profitable. Comair does not see any benefits to their books that they would not see if they weren't wholly owned.

When you hear that Comair is not profitable from Delta, this isn't exactly false, either. They are counting all passenger revenues, instead of the fee for departure agreement. Under this definition of revenue not a single DCI Carrier is profitable. Make sure you compare apples to apples...

And to the guy who said Fred was shedding tears of joy because all managers are out to get you...:rolleyes:

...oh nevermind.

bvt,

I agree. When I said the Delta anchor remark, I just meant we were being drug down into bankruptcy by Delta.

I know we NEED Delta, but like you said, if we were independent, we could be flying the E170s and maybe even flying for United, Northwest, etc.

I hope that clears that remark up.

Jet

Northwest - Delta, probably the same thing soon,

To fly for United, you would have to rid yourself of the 70 seat payrates, like SkyWest. To bid effectively, Comair will have to lower its cost, a lot.

MajorAv8r said:
Northwest - Delta, probably the same thing soon,

To fly for United, you would have to rid yourself of the 70 seat payrates, like SkyWest. To bid effectively, Comair will have to lower its cost, a lot.

I hate to say it but I think we are on the verge of lowering our costs quite a bit.

Cant speak for everyone but I cant imagine anyone doing this. Besides I think they are still fat on instructors and short on people wanting to cough up 100+ K

Latest resources

Back