Comair to furlough 500??!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Looking4Traffic said:
The interesting thing about unions is that their purpose was to unify labor groups in an effort to equalize the power held by management. Unify employees toward a common goal of equitable pay and fair work rules -- that was the union call. The problem with unions as they apply to pilot work groups is that pilots (and I am one of them) are generally the most self-centered, spoiled, whiny group of immature egotists who ever joined a work force. Anyone who disagrees with me should just read the previous 20 posts in this thread.

The fact is, we haven't reached the bottom yet and you #*$&!#%$ pigs cannot do a thing about it -- because you are too busy blaming each other for your problems to consider that your brother pilot has very little to do with the problems you currently face. If I was in management (and I am not), I would create a new regional carrier every quarter and I would find young, hungry 1200 hour flight instructors to fly these new airplanes at roughly $20,000 per year more than they were making as flight instructors. I would do that because I know that there isn't anything you sniveling, spoiled little brats would do about it except blame the new guys for taking the jobs. That's right; you wouldn't even think of assembling as one unified group against management, telling them "we're mad as hell and we aren't going to take it anymore." And that is why unions do not work. If they did work, the MEC of every pilot group would have every other MEC on his/her speed dial and they would be talking every day. A pilot constitution would be adopted that would mandate equitable pay for each equipment type, irrespective of company, and comparable work rules for every pilot group. If ANY company tried to form a new carrier to avoid the constitutional mandates, it would be a basis for an industry-wide grievance, putting in motion all necessary procedural remedies including an industry-wide strike.

I listen on the radio as my brothers and sisters from Northwest, Delta, Continental, American, US Air, Express Jet, Mesaba, Pinnacle, Comair, CHQ, TSA, Skywest, Mesa and others safely and professionally fly their 777s and CR7s from destination to destination. I don't hear anybody from management sitting those long hours in the cockpit, waiting at one o'clock a.m. for the hotel van or spending long days away from their families. Nope. Just hard-working pilots trying to make a living on what little is left from the mismanagment of their companies.

I would never wish this life on my children but it has nothing to do with the state of the industry. It is because of what I read in this thread. A complete lack of unity among the professionals that share my skies; only finger-pointing and insults and blame. If these professionals -- if we -- were to somehow muster the courage to collectively stand up for what we really believe -- that this livelihood is worth preserving and that our profession really means something important, then I might encourage others to join the profession.

But for now, there is no unity -- only the misplaced blame, fear and disdain for each other that is readily evident in this thread. We have no one to blame but ourselves for our circumstances. I see no evidence on this board of the courage necessary to change the direction we're heading. I'll see all of you in hell.

Agreed!!!!

why thank you. me too

it wasnt easy finding a picture of a plane and a hot chick that was avatar worth

Negative vibes

Too many negative vibes. This is still a great career, where else can a HS grad plan on making close to $100K by the time he is in his early 30's. In addition, have many days off. Never take any work home, when you are off you are off to do, as you want. I am coming to the end of my career and I consider myself one the luckiest SOB's to ever live. It has been a fantastic adventure and I do not think I would change too much. Although, I have never made a $100K and I have had 11 jobs since leaving the Navy in 1977 I would do all again in a heartbeat. I absolutely love this business.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
Too many negative vibes. This is still a great career, where else can a HS grad plan on making close to $100K by the time he is in his early 30's. In addition, have many days off. Never take any work home, when you are off you are off to do, as you want. I am coming to the end of my career and I consider myself one the luckiest SOB's to ever live. It has been a fantastic adventure and I do not think I would change too much. Although, I have never made a $100K and I have had 11 jobs since leaving the Navy in 1977 I would do all again in a heartbeat. I absolutely love this business.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the whole "100k by low 30's" won't happen unless he is in the Navy......or of course the Air Force......which is not such a bad idea rather than fighting your way up though the ranks of the regionals

Latest resources

Back