• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair sues FAA, Lexington airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, NEITHER were on short overnight, or "Stand up". The numbers aren't exact, but the capt had 27hr overnight, and the FO 18. Something like that, but not a short night. With the old taxiway system, that airport was a nightmare. It looked like you had to cross the active runway then get on a tiny cart path to the other runway. At night, it was an extreme mess. If the airport changed signs and lights, I can see this pretty easily.

As a side, I don't think it's anybodies fault except....
THE ENGINE MANUFACTURER!!! Their Loaded. The sad part, even down to the seat manufacturer, will be in a conference call during some point soon.

No matter who's fault, HORRIBLE SITUATION!

You must be an attorney for one of the plaintiffs. Are you saying that because a parallel runway was never built, or that the airport director is a "goober", the crew had no way of knowing they were on the wrong runway?

No, I'm not an attorney, but I know many people involved in this mess (including one who was killed) and I can tell you its not as simple as you seem to think it is.

The crew was completely to blame for the outcome.

So when did you go to work for the NTSB Baron?

This airport has some serious skeletons in the closet, and I'm glad the attorneys for Comair are going to lay the wood to them.

This airport has some serious skeletons in the closet, and I'm glad the attorneys for Comair are going to lay the wood to them.

So what you are saying is there were issues at this airport that everyone knew were unsafe and yet airline management continued to operate out of a known unsafe airfield?

What steps did Comair management/safety department take to address these issues with the people they are now blaming/sueing?

This is a public forum. All I am willing to say is the airport has issues, and hopefully they will be exposed in these suits. What is likely however, is everybody will settle out of court and none will see the light of day. It would be nice if the NTSB addresses some of them, but I'm not holding my breath on that either.

That being said, its pretty sad when people want to go on a public forum and shoot their mouths off, when the NTSB hasn't even finished their work.

That being said, its pretty sad when people want to go on a public forum and shoot their mouths off, when the NTSB hasn't even finished their work.

What's really sad is that when a family member has an untimely passing, people (lawyers and families) get rich off of it. I got an idea....if you are worried that the bread winner in your family might die, don't rely on lawsuits to get you through.....get your own career as a back up (or life insurance). It's pathetic really.

Baron, are you always this pompous about things that you (obvioiusly) know nothing about (law)? Why don't you explain the finer points of open heart surgery or the fuel injection system of an F1 car? I'm sure we would all like to hear your thoughts.

Are you saying I don't know that the crew lined up on the wrong runway? Pretty indisputable fact. Can't help you on the open heart surgery or the fuel injection on an F1 car. I did find this one little regulation that might help you out though. It's kinda' like a law. (kinda' like means similar)

Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
PART 91—GENERAL OPERATING AND FLIGHT RULES
Subpart A—General

§ 91.3 Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command.

(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

So, the airport has issues. A lot of airports have issues. Why do you view this as some personal attack when it isn't? People screw up, they make mistakes. It happens all the time. This time it was tragic. Are there mitigating factors? Sure. But the crew is still, in the end, the one that lined up on the wrong runway and didn't catch their mistake.

The taxiway changes were AFTER you crossed 26 taxing out, not before. The construction and the taxiway changes are completely irrelevent. Besides, it was NOTAMed.

No, I'm not an attorney, but I know many people involved in this mess (including one who was killed) and I can tell you its not as simple as you seem to think it is.

So when did you go to work for the NTSB Baron?

Sorry to hear you lost a friend. I have lost way too many friends and coworkers over the years in aviation accidents. Afterwards, I always felt somewhat cheated when the NTSB would lay the bulk of the responsibility for the accidents at the feet of people that I knew to be capable pilots. But sometimes you have to face the facts.
It really is that simple. The crew lined up on the wrong runway. No one else magically put them there. No one painted a big 22 on the runway or gave it precision markings. There is no weird magnetic field at the threshold that interferes with the compass. It was a simple, tragic mistake.

And FWIW, I worked with (not for) the NTSB on two accident investigations.
A great learning experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

What's really sad is that when a family member has an untimely passing, people (lawyers and families) get rich off of it. I got an idea....if you are worried that the bread winner in your family might die, don't rely on lawsuits to get you through.....get your own career as a back up (or life insurance). It's pathetic really.

The night you make your first speech as president, I'm going drunk driving on a mission...to see how many mini-vans with baby on board stickers I can P.I.T. manuver into rolling. Lawsuit reform, bring it on!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back