Comair Part Of Delta Cuts

JECKEL

God's Own Drunk
Joined
Nov 27, 2001
Posts
402
Total Time
13.426
Delta announced today that, effective December 1, it will right-size operations at the Cincinnati hub to better match service to local passenger demand and optimize the balance of local and connecting traffic. The changes reduce mainline and DCI capacity by 26 percent.

"Going forward, we must continue to stay focused on operational integrity, customer service excellence and a winning growth strategy," said President Fred Buttrell. "To survive, we must also become one of the low-cost providers of Delta Connection flying. Doing that will give us the opportunity to secure a winning growth strategy while helping Delta -- our partner and parent company -- at the same time."
 

JECKEL

God's Own Drunk
Joined
Nov 27, 2001
Posts
402
Total Time
13.426
Details of the December schedule must still be finalized, but based on an preliminary analysis of schedule impact and the reduction in operational hours, initial estimates indicate up to 350 Comair positions could be impacted. Most of that impact could be to Flight Operations, Inflight, Customer Services field locations and other operational support areas. To reduce that number as much as possible, the airline will use a number of measures, including leave programs, relocation (where applicable) and attrition. We will exhaust all options, but in the event that furloughs are necessary, we will work closely with the affected groups to minimize the impact.

The schedule utilizes all 174 of Comair's aircraft. However, our aircraft utilization - the number hours each aircraft flies per day - will be reduced. Unfortunately, because we are producing less hours with the same number of aircraft per day, it does create surpluses. We will have to manage this by finding ways to make the operation even more efficient. That is something that everyone at Comair must work together to address

Although we do not disclose detailed Comair-specific financial data, the schedule reduction will likely impact Comair revenues
 

Whitestoneclimb

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 4, 2003
Posts
79
Total Time
nomore
Sad to say, but here come the furloughs. CMR just spent millions training about 150 guys/gals since March. Now they will probably be furloughed. And Delta wonders why they are losing money.
 

General Lee

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2002
Posts
20,442
Total Time
A lot
Whitestoneclimb said:
Sad to say, but here come the furloughs. CMR just spent millions training about 150 guys/gals since March. Now they will probably be furloughed. And Delta wonders why they are losing money.
"RJ" Fred Greed thought the RJs were the answer to everything. He was WRONG. He should have used the RJ seed money to pay down DL debt. How many RJs are over there at Southwest, Airtran, and Jetblue? Now, I will say there needs to be a few of them around to feed smaller cities in the hub and spoke style system, but not hundreds. At the same time, unfortunately we don't need the gas guzzling 762s that are mx hogs also.


Bye Bye--General Lee
 
Last edited:

spinproof

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 19, 2002
Posts
774
Total Time
noneya
General Lee said:
At the same time, unfortunately we don't need the gas guzzling 762s that are mx hogs also.


Bye Bye--General Lee

Hello!...is this thing on(squelch) Hello......The fact you would admit that restores my faith in your seach for wisdom....although I feel sure you know its Jet-A, Kerosene,napalm excellorant or fuel guzzling not gas.:D
 

surplus1

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Posts
5,649
Total Time
25K+
General Lee said:
"RJ" Fred Greed thought the RJs were the answer to everything. He was WRONG. He should have used the RJ seed money to pay down DL debt. How many RJs are over there at Southwest, Airtran, and Jetblue? Now, I will say there needs to be a few of them around to feed smaller cities in the hub and spoke style system, but not hundreds. At the same time, unfortunately we don't need the gas guzzling 762s that are mx hogs also.

Bye Bye--General Lee
As is the case more often than not, your "analysis" of this situation is flawed. The reductions at Comair do NOT represent a reduction in RJ flying at Delta Connection. What they DO represent is a transfer of Comiar flying to other DCI carriers.

First, you deliberately ignore the fact that a fleet of 16 new EMB-170's were recently added to the "Portfolio" by their assignment to Chautauqua. At the low utilization of only 9.0 hours per day, that represents 4,330 block hours per month.

Second, the beloved MESA airlines was recently added to the DCI Portfolio. That represents the addition of 25 (I think that's the numer) additional 50-seat RJs to the equation. Again at 9.0 hrs per day utilization, that represents an increase of 6,750 block hours per month.

Together, 4,330 + 6,750 = 11, 070 block hours have been added to DCI (by the time all of these come on line).

5,000 hours has been removed from Comair. Smell the coffee ... where do you think that 5000 hours went? Answer = MESA and CHQ.

So you see General, you are wrong. RJ flying is actually being increased as a whole. It is just being done by somebody else in liew of Comair.

This is caused by several factors. One of them is ALPA policy, which resulted in inferior contracts at both MESA and CHQ. Anther is the cretion of the Portfolio Concept itself (ironically by the current CEO of my company who is its architect). Another is the fact that DL didn't have the capital to buy the EMB-170's and CHQ did. Another is that MESA essentially paid Delta to join its little "club" and to make that agreement which allows Delta to retire some of its own aircraft (debt) and benefit from bottom-of-the-barrel pilot contracts (and other) labor costs at MESA.

Your anti-RJ rhetoric may make you feel better General, but it has virtually nothing to do with the current problems that either one of us face.

You will eventualyl come to realize what the futue holds. Your smallest aircraft will have the capacity of an MD-88 and everything else will be operated by subcontractors. For that eventuality you can thank ALPA's flawed policies and your own groups narrow vision. Management will continue to take full advantage of the opportunities you and ALPA have provided them. In the long run it will hurt you equally, if not more, than it hurts us.

While you gloat over what you incorrectly believe is the pending demise of the RJ airframe, you fail to see that your predatory Scope, championed by ALPA, has already done you more harm than good and will continue to harm both of us for the foreseeable future.

In one fell swoop of brilliance, your management has intentionally decreased the value of one of its assets, which means they can neither sell it or spin it off outside of bankruptcy. Their decision making with respect to the subsidiaries reminds me of The Charge of the Light Brigade or Custer's Last Stand.

The longer it takes the more I regret that my little company was forced to become part and parcel of your giant mess. Such is life in corporate America. All too often a large and poorly run company has absorbed and destroyed a small an effecient business. That is the story of the Delta acquisition of Comair.

Howeve, I wouldn't expect you to understand that reality. Swelled heads are a symptom of myopic vision that is seldom diagnosed by the victims until it is too late for corrective lenses to cure it.

The chickens of your folly are coming home to roost and all of "us" will pay the price.
 

Yank McCobb

Song and Dance Man
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Posts
538
Total Time
18000
surplus1 said:
Their decision making with respect to the subsidiaries reminds me of The Charge of the Light Brigade or Custer's Last Stand.

The longer it takes the more I regret that my little company was forced to become part and parcel of your giant mess. Such is life in corporate America. All too often a large and poorly run company has absorbed and destroyed a small an effecient business. That is the story of the Delta acquisition of Comair.

Howeve, I wouldn't expect you to understand that reality. Swelled heads are a symptom of myopic vision that is seldom diagnosed by the victims until it is too late for corrective lenses to cure it.

The chickens of your folly are coming home to roost and all of "us" will pay the price.
Ah yes. What surplus1 post would be complete without the flowery rhetoric, the metaphors and the melodrama? None of which add anything to the discussion except to heavily inflate the poster's view of his own importance.:rolleyes:

He11, it's not even mildly entertaining anymore. I guess it was the first 50,000 versions of it that kind of took the fun out.
 

JoeMerchant

ASA pilot
Joined
Mar 31, 2005
Posts
6,353
Total Time
14000+
Yank McCobb said:
Ah yes. What surplus1 post would be complete without the flowery rhetoric, the metaphors and the melodrama? None of which add anything to the discussion except to heavily inflate the poster's view of his own importance.:rolleyes:

I guess you prefer Duane Woerth's "flowery rhetoric, metaphors, and melodrama". Which of Duane's is your favorite?

Joe
 

Hovernut

Home Based Again!
Joined
May 7, 2002
Posts
720
Total Time
8000
So much for 60% of my brethren thinking what they signed last spring actually contained 'furlough protection!' What a mess. Maybe this'll result in DAL keeping us around as 'clingons' instead of spinning us off somehow.

Those snapbacks were set too far into the future. Another year and change before the first one! ...and so it begins...
 
Last edited:

uba757

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 22, 2005
Posts
356
Total Time
7500
As I understand what is going on there are 165 pilot positions that either need to be lost by personal leaves or by furlough. Uba757
 

surplus1

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Posts
5,649
Total Time
25K+
Yank McCobb said:
He11, it's not even mildly entertaining anymore. I guess it was the first 50,000 versions of it that kind of took the fun out.
There are several options availble to you if you don't like what I say or my style challenges your mind too much: 1) Don't read what I write. I promise you I won't notice. 2) Go watch MTV or go play your PSA. 3) Tune in to FOX news and enjoy yourself with BS. 3) Read your ALPO magazine and get your 1.95%'s worth. 4) Read the latest copy of the Widget and embrace your bright future. 5) Stuff it!

Take your pick
 

BenderGonzales

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 3, 2005
Posts
859
Total Time
xxxxxx
or attrition...

(LAUGH) sorry. Thought I could say that with a straight face.
 

MetroSheriff

Hittin' the road...
Joined
Nov 25, 2001
Posts
854
Total Time
268
JoeMerchant said:
I guess you prefer Duane Woerth's "flowery rhetoric, metaphors, and melodrama". Which of Duane's is your favorite?

Joe
JoeMerchant and Surplus...locked in another 69 whispering RJDC bullshit to each other...

Don't you guys ever tire of your own hyperbole????
 

JoeMerchant

ASA pilot
Joined
Mar 31, 2005
Posts
6,353
Total Time
14000+
MetroSheriff said:
JoeMerchant and Surplus...locked in another 69 whispering RJDC bullshoot to each other...

Don't you guys ever tire of your own hyperbole????
Metro,
Don't you ever tire of defending ALPA's repeated failures? Don't you ever tire of defending ALPA after every wrong turn it makes? Don't you ever tire of failing to learn from the many past mistakes made by ALPA?

Never mind.... just keep drinking that Herndon punch and telling yourself how great ALPA is.

Joe
 

General Lee

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 24, 2002
Posts
20,442
Total Time
A lot
surplus1 said:
As is the case more often than not, your "analysis" of this situation is flawed. The reductions at Comair do NOT represent a reduction in RJ flying at Delta Connection. What they DO represent is a transfer of Comiar flying to other DCI carriers.

First, you deliberately ignore the fact that a fleet of 16 new EMB-170's were recently added to the "Portfolio" by their assignment to Chautauqua. At the low utilization of only 9.0 hours per day, that represents 4,330 block hours per month.

Second, the beloved MESA airlines was recently added to the DCI Portfolio. That represents the addition of 25 (I think that's the numer) additional 50-seat RJs to the equation. Again at 9.0 hrs per day utilization, that represents an increase of 6,750 block hours per month.

Together, 4,330 + 6,750 = 11, 070 block hours have been added to DCI (by the time all of these come on line).

5,000 hours has been removed from Comair. Smell the coffee ... where do you think that 5000 hours went? Answer = MESA and CHQ.

So you see General, you are wrong. RJ flying is actually being increased as a whole. It is just being done by somebody else in liew of Comair.

This is caused by several factors. One of them is ALPA policy, which resulted in inferior contracts at both MESA and CHQ. Anther is the cretion of the Portfolio Concept itself (ironically by the current CEO of my company who is its architect). Another is the fact that DL didn't have the capital to buy the EMB-170's and CHQ did. Another is that MESA essentially paid Delta to join its little "club" and to make that agreement which allows Delta to retire some of its own aircraft (debt) and benefit from bottom-of-the-barrel pilot contracts (and other) labor costs at MESA.

Your anti-RJ rhetoric may make you feel better General, but it has virtually nothing to do with the current problems that either one of us face.

You will eventualyl come to realize what the futue holds. Your smallest aircraft will have the capacity of an MD-88 and everything else will be operated by subcontractors. For that eventuality you can thank ALPA's flawed policies and your own groups narrow vision. Management will continue to take full advantage of the opportunities you and ALPA have provided them. In the long run it will hurt you equally, if not more, than it hurts us.

While you gloat over what you incorrectly believe is the pending demise of the RJ airframe, you fail to see that your predatory Scope, championed by ALPA, has already done you more harm than good and will continue to harm both of us for the foreseeable future.

In one fell swoop of brilliance, your management has intentionally decreased the value of one of its assets, which means they can neither sell it or spin it off outside of bankruptcy. Their decision making with respect to the subsidiaries reminds me of The Charge of the Light Brigade or Custer's Last Stand.

The longer it takes the more I regret that my little company was forced to become part and parcel of your giant mess. Such is life in corporate America. All too often a large and poorly run company has absorbed and destroyed a small an effecient business. That is the story of the Delta acquisition of Comair.

Howeve, I wouldn't expect you to understand that reality. Swelled heads are a symptom of myopic vision that is seldom diagnosed by the victims until it is too late for corrective lenses to cure it.

The chickens of your folly are coming home to roost and all of "us" will pay the price.
Another boring diatribe from my pal Surplus1. You are right, they are moving the chess pieces around, and that is partly your fault. Just like we had to do--take a large pay cut to bring us back to reality, you guys refused to do. You were miffed at a pay freeze. You guys never thought about gaining your own scope, only the money back during your strike---which cost us $1 billion anyway. Now, management is repaying you. Who do you blame? ALPA. Wait a second, what about SkyWest and their faulty 50-90 seat same pay deal? What about Mesa and their low cost structure? How about Jetblue and their new 100 seat pay rate that is lower than your 70 seat pay rate? Both SlyWest and Jetblue don't have ALPA, but nevertheless it is ALPA's fault. We have had to swallow a pill for that first pay cut, and now a second is probably coming. You guys thought you were invincible, and didn't deserve the same because "you guys are the only ones profitable..." Well, that doesn't seem to be the case now, does it?

As far as our smallest plane being an MD88, I don't know about that. Even in Chap 11 only one airline has gone that way with E190s(USAir with CHQ), and that really isn't settled yet. United hasn't done that, they have A319s. I am sure Delta will come to us and first offer us the 100 seater (we also have a new 737-700 pay rate that may come to fruition too), and I don't think ALPA will give that up if they don't have to. A Jetblue pay rate will probably ensue, and that will be it unfortunately. More 70 seaters will come around for DCI, and some with first class sections (I think CHQ's E170s have that now). That may be your future. Although Mesa may be in there too. Also, rumors have been swirling that we may recall everyone by the Spring (most will stay away at new jobs probably), and we MIGHT even hire again(after TBKane is back). Give me your resume and I'll see what I can do.....


Bye Bye--General Lee
 
Last edited:

Thedude

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 15, 2001
Posts
1,277
Total Time
8000+
General,
I think surplus1 and his minions can't see the forest for the trees.
 

IHaveAPension

Banned
Well-known member
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Posts
203
Total Time
12000
So much for Comair's pay freeze for growth! What a bunch of suckers! How the mighty have fallen!
 

WSurf

The Smack Down!
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Posts
3,690
Total Time
6500
Good Luck Guys & Gals..... Being at PDT and reading the post, you guys are going thru the same Sh$t we did over here (US Airways)! PDT we had pay cuts (try and keep your work rules.. we kept most of ours and it helps) and even furloughs, even when we didn't need to. They furloughed cause mainline was, but hired them all back in like 2 months. You gotta keep those mainline boys happy! Then they did the bs of playing each WO against each other.. That was real lovely!!!

Rid the storm, you guys will get threw it...
Once Delta see's the crappy service of CHQ/Mesa you will look more and more appealing!!!

Good Luck guys, always a Jumpseat with arms wide open for you guys!!!!
 

Taco Rocket

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 9, 2005
Posts
303
Total Time
Enough
I think Surplus is right on. Actually 30 ERJs will go to MCO, not 25. Instead of attacking him you might consider the history of Mesa and USAir... I think history is about to repeat itself now in DL system.

Mesa will get in the door in MCO and gradually replace Comair/ASA just like it did with Piedmont/Allegheny/PSA airlines in the US system. As for Mesa's cost structure you guys always bash our contract but in most cases I make only a buck or two less an hour that our "peers." Now you will return with "but the work rules..." Well I'm about to clear $70K this year in the E-145 with 14 days off a month. Can most PSA guys say that with a straight face?

My point here is not to promote Mesa -- which really none of us will do with a straight face -- but to get you guys to wake up a smell the coffee, accept Surplus' agrument and get a plan together for the future. I wish you all the best.
 

WSurf

The Smack Down!
Joined
Apr 26, 2002
Posts
3,690
Total Time
6500
Taco Rocket

You guys didn't replace any of PSA or PDT flying at all. Don't you realize all the E-145 will be gone from CLT in the end of January!! All of them!! There will be no more E-145's flying for US Airways by Mesa. All that happened was a shift in flying when it came to the WO's.
Mesa will send about 18 CRJ-900's to replace some 737 flying, however that will be temporary!
Bottom line, Mesa was making a profit while US Airways was losing money. And US Airways finally woke up to the crappy service and unprofessional appeal of Mesa. Mesa is nothing more then a parasite that allows mainline to rape some money from the WO's. Kinda like a hired hit man!
http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/content/blogsection/11/91/
And did you go to that link. Mesa is at the bottom of almost every catagory!! Give me a break!! And you wonder why everyone in the industry doesn't care for Mesa!
 
Top