Comair Part Of Delta Cuts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yank McCobb said:
He11, it's not even mildly entertaining anymore. I guess it was the first 50,000 versions of it that kind of took the fun out.

There are several options availble to you if you don't like what I say or my style challenges your mind too much: 1) Don't read what I write. I promise you I won't notice. 2) Go watch MTV or go play your PSA. 3) Tune in to FOX news and enjoy yourself with BS. 3) Read your ALPO magazine and get your 1.95%'s worth. 4) Read the latest copy of the Widget and embrace your bright future. 5) Stuff it!

Take your pick

JoeMerchant said:
I guess you prefer Duane Woerth's "flowery rhetoric, metaphors, and melodrama". Which of Duane's is your favorite?

Joe

JoeMerchant and Surplus...locked in another 69 whispering RJDC bullshit to each other...

Don't you guys ever tire of your own hyperbole????

MetroSheriff said:
JoeMerchant and Surplus...locked in another 69 whispering RJDC bullshoot to each other...

Don't you guys ever tire of your own hyperbole????

Metro,
Don't you ever tire of defending ALPA's repeated failures? Don't you ever tire of defending ALPA after every wrong turn it makes? Don't you ever tire of failing to learn from the many past mistakes made by ALPA?

Never mind.... just keep drinking that Herndon punch and telling yourself how great ALPA is.

Joe

surplus1 said:
As is the case more often than not, your "analysis" of this situation is flawed. The reductions at Comair do NOT represent a reduction in RJ flying at Delta Connection. What they DO represent is a transfer of Comiar flying to other DCI carriers.

First, you deliberately ignore the fact that a fleet of 16 new EMB-170's were recently added to the "Portfolio" by their assignment to Chautauqua. At the low utilization of only 9.0 hours per day, that represents 4,330 block hours per month.

Second, the beloved MESA airlines was recently added to the DCI Portfolio. That represents the addition of 25 (I think that's the numer) additional 50-seat RJs to the equation. Again at 9.0 hrs per day utilization, that represents an increase of 6,750 block hours per month.

Together, 4,330 + 6,750 = 11, 070 block hours have been added to DCI (by the time all of these come on line).

5,000 hours has been removed from Comair. Smell the coffee ... where do you think that 5000 hours went? Answer = MESA and CHQ.

So you see General, you are wrong. RJ flying is actually being increased as a whole. It is just being done by somebody else in liew of Comair.

This is caused by several factors. One of them is ALPA policy, which resulted in inferior contracts at both MESA and CHQ. Anther is the cretion of the Portfolio Concept itself (ironically by the current CEO of my company who is its architect). Another is the fact that DL didn't have the capital to buy the EMB-170's and CHQ did. Another is that MESA essentially paid Delta to join its little "club" and to make that agreement which allows Delta to retire some of its own aircraft (debt) and benefit from bottom-of-the-barrel pilot contracts (and other) labor costs at MESA.

Your anti-RJ rhetoric may make you feel better General, but it has virtually nothing to do with the current problems that either one of us face.

You will eventualyl come to realize what the futue holds. Your smallest aircraft will have the capacity of an MD-88 and everything else will be operated by subcontractors. For that eventuality you can thank ALPA's flawed policies and your own groups narrow vision. Management will continue to take full advantage of the opportunities you and ALPA have provided them. In the long run it will hurt you equally, if not more, than it hurts us.

While you gloat over what you incorrectly believe is the pending demise of the RJ airframe, you fail to see that your predatory Scope, championed by ALPA, has already done you more harm than good and will continue to harm both of us for the foreseeable future.

In one fell swoop of brilliance, your management has intentionally decreased the value of one of its assets, which means they can neither sell it or spin it off outside of bankruptcy. Their decision making with respect to the subsidiaries reminds me of The Charge of the Light Brigade or Custer's Last Stand.

The longer it takes the more I regret that my little company was forced to become part and parcel of your giant mess. Such is life in corporate America. All too often a large and poorly run company has absorbed and destroyed a small an effecient business. That is the story of the Delta acquisition of Comair.

Howeve, I wouldn't expect you to understand that reality. Swelled heads are a symptom of myopic vision that is seldom diagnosed by the victims until it is too late for corrective lenses to cure it.

The chickens of your folly are coming home to roost and all of "us" will pay the price.

Another boring diatribe from my pal Surplus1. You are right, they are moving the chess pieces around, and that is partly your fault. Just like we had to do--take a large pay cut to bring us back to reality, you guys refused to do. You were miffed at a pay freeze. You guys never thought about gaining your own scope, only the money back during your strike---which cost us $1 billion anyway. Now, management is repaying you. Who do you blame? ALPA. Wait a second, what about SkyWest and their faulty 50-90 seat same pay deal? What about Mesa and their low cost structure? How about Jetblue and their new 100 seat pay rate that is lower than your 70 seat pay rate? Both SlyWest and Jetblue don't have ALPA, but nevertheless it is ALPA's fault. We have had to swallow a pill for that first pay cut, and now a second is probably coming. You guys thought you were invincible, and didn't deserve the same because "you guys are the only ones profitable..." Well, that doesn't seem to be the case now, does it?

As far as our smallest plane being an MD88, I don't know about that. Even in Chap 11 only one airline has gone that way with E190s(USAir with CHQ), and that really isn't settled yet. United hasn't done that, they have A319s. I am sure Delta will come to us and first offer us the 100 seater (we also have a new 737-700 pay rate that may come to fruition too), and I don't think ALPA will give that up if they don't have to. A Jetblue pay rate will probably ensue, and that will be it unfortunately. More 70 seaters will come around for DCI, and some with first class sections (I think CHQ's E170s have that now). That may be your future. Although Mesa may be in there too. Also, rumors have been swirling that we may recall everyone by the Spring (most will stay away at new jobs probably), and we MIGHT even hire again(after TBKane is back). Give me your resume and I'll see what I can do.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General,
I think surplus1 and his minions can't see the forest for the trees.

Good Luck Guys & Gals..... Being at PDT and reading the post, you guys are going thru the same Sh$t we did over here (US Airways)! PDT we had pay cuts (try and keep your work rules.. we kept most of ours and it helps) and even furloughs, even when we didn't need to. They furloughed cause mainline was, but hired them all back in like 2 months. You gotta keep those mainline boys happy! Then they did the bs of playing each WO against each other.. That was real lovely!!!

Rid the storm, you guys will get threw it...
Once Delta see's the crappy service of CHQ/Mesa you will look more and more appealing!!!

Good Luck guys, always a Jumpseat with arms wide open for you guys!!!!

I think Surplus is right on. Actually 30 ERJs will go to MCO, not 25. Instead of attacking him you might consider the history of Mesa and USAir... I think history is about to repeat itself now in DL system.

Mesa will get in the door in MCO and gradually replace Comair/ASA just like it did with Piedmont/Allegheny/PSA airlines in the US system. As for Mesa's cost structure you guys always bash our contract but in most cases I make only a buck or two less an hour that our "peers." Now you will return with "but the work rules..." Well I'm about to clear $70K this year in the E-145 with 14 days off a month. Can most PSA guys say that with a straight face?

My point here is not to promote Mesa -- which really none of us will do with a straight face -- but to get you guys to wake up a smell the coffee, accept Surplus' agrument and get a plan together for the future. I wish you all the best.

Taco Rocket

You guys didn't replace any of PSA or PDT flying at all. Don't you realize all the E-145 will be gone from CLT in the end of January!! All of them!! There will be no more E-145's flying for US Airways by Mesa. All that happened was a shift in flying when it came to the WO's.
Mesa will send about 18 CRJ-900's to replace some 737 flying, however that will be temporary!
Bottom line, Mesa was making a profit while US Airways was losing money. And US Airways finally woke up to the crappy service and unprofessional appeal of Mesa. Mesa is nothing more then a parasite that allows mainline to rape some money from the WO's. Kinda like a hired hit man!
http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/content/blogsection/11/91/
And did you go to that link. Mesa is at the bottom of almost every catagory!! Give me a break!! And you wonder why everyone in the industry doesn't care for Mesa!

Latest resources

Back