Comair MEC resolution

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Beckett,
You are correct that some Comair pilots paid for training. However, I have met a lot of them, and they are much nicer to fly with than you must be. YOU should have supported the USAirways wholly owned airlines many years ago, and now it is coming back to bite you. The USAirways corporate stock reports in the early 90's credited their wholly owned regionals with keeping the company from going under. So, yes, you do owe them your job.

Good luck to you sir.

Beckett,

By all accounts, the concept of a flow through was brought up and summarily rejected YEARS ago. Perhaps with your fifteen years of accrued knowledge you can explain why at present there is not a single ALPA mainline carrier that has a flowthrough agreement with an ALPA regional partner (wholly owned or otherwise).

This August, I will be able to show you my 20 year ALPA pin. I paid my Continental and Eastern assessments. You can bet your sweet backside I honored their picket lines. Those Eastern pilots strike pay was greater than what I was making as a Saab captain!

And you can bet I am donating money to my furloughed brothers and sisters at Delta.

Delta MEC
Airline Pilots Association
Attn: Delta Pilots Furlough/Emergency Relief Fund
P.O. Box 82232
Atlanta, Ga. 30354-0232

Give generously ... and often.:cool:

We at CAL/CALEX have seen the good and the bad of FTA's (Flow Through Agreements). Despite the negative effect that our current FTA has had on our junior pilots at CALEX, the FTA we have in place is better than nothing, and re-upping the FTA this next contract negotiations is wanted by over 70% of our pilots.

This is mainly to continue the movement of our senior pilots off the top of our seniority list and into major airline jobs.

ALPA is way behind the curve on RJ's as have been many mainline pilot unions. CAL pilots have realized this entirely too late.

If guys want to fly CRJs for the rest of their lives at Comair...fine. I don't. All jet aircraft, seat numbers notwithstanding, should be flown by mainline carriers with mainline work rules and pay scales, period.

These issues are not simple, and sometimes too easily simplified. From what I have seen of what is going on at the USAir code shares, it is very much unfair, while becket makes some good points, mainline pilots have dropped the ball on the RJ issues. Ask any CAL pilot who is seeing CALEX grow 26% a year and now mainline Continental flying less block hours today than they did in 1998.

RJ's = WSCOD (whistling shi* cans of death)

If it ain't a Boeing, I ain't goin.

LAPDAirship

You wrote, "Despite the negative effect that our current FTA has had on our junior pilots at CALEX, the FTA we have in place is better than nothing, and re-upping the FTA this next contract negotiations is wanted by over 70% of our pilots."

You speak of the Flow Through Agreement in the present tense, in fact, hasn't it been terminated by management?

FlyComAirJets said:
You speak of the Flow Through Agreement in the present tense, in fact, hasn't it been terminated by management?

I believe the recent IPO did not sell off the required 51% of the company to terminate the FTA, therefore it still exists.

With that said, I do beleive there are plans to sell off more of XJet that will push it over the edge.

p.s. To FlyComAirJets.... Thank you very much for donating to the Delta MEC furlough/emergency fund! I haven't had the need for it personally, but I know that to date the fund has distributed over $305,000 to furloughed pilots families and has gone to pay for mortgage payments to prevent forclosure, kept kids in college, and put food on the table. Again, Thank you.

Last edited:
The flow-thru here at Calex is dead for now. I personally am glad to see it go. Our flow thru is at a one to three ratio. So if your number 2000 on the Express list, than CAL has to hire 6000 pilots to get to you. In the mean time your position at CALEX is basically being held for a CAL pilot in the event CAL reduces its force. NOT A GOOD DEAL!

I would personally rather handle my own career progression and not have an agreement that gives my job to a pilot who has never worked for my company while I go home and wait for his company to recall him. NO THANKS.

If you want to work for a major than go ahead and except the fact that you will be on the bottom of their list. You have no right to be on the top of my list if your company decides it no longer needs your services.

Now if you would like to offer me a position on your list, than maybee we could discuss this. Otherwise take a hike, and I'll interview and obtain my job the way everyone else did and except the fact thay my new position is a precarious one.

FlyCOmairJets,

We have had our differences, but please allow me to add my thanks for your contribution to our furloughed pilot fund. I have no needed to avail myself of a loan from it yet, but it is nice to know it is there, and it has helped many of my fellow furloughees.

Even though we disagree on many things, you have my gratitude for your generosity.

Thanks.

FlyDeltasJets,

It may be a surprise but hopefully not a big one because we are all in the same boat. Where that boat is headed seems to be the bone of contention.

Getting the furloughees back in the air should be OUR union's number one priority.

Keeping the dogs from the furloughees' door should be each working pilot's moral obligation.

Whatever you do, don't be silent. Don't be out of sight, out of mind. That is the power of the internet, it makes sure that everyone's voice is heard.

LAPD Airship says:

If guys want to fly CRJs for the rest of their lives at Comair...fine. I don't. All jet aircraft, seat numbers notwithstanding, should be flown by mainline carriers with mainline work rules and pay scales, period.

.....Isn't this a contradictory statement? Should Comair pilots stay at Comair, making mainline wages with mainline work rules? Isn't that what we are fighting for?

FlyComAirJets said:
LAPDAirship

Nope. Not yet.

Latest resources

Back