Comair MEC recall...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Surplus 1,

I'm proved wrong again...you are not the individual I suspected. We didn't see eye-to-eye on many things when you were MEC chairman. Thanks for your continued support!

Slim

Surplus 1,

I'm proved wrong again...you are not the individual I suspected. We didn't see eye-to-eye on many things when you were MEC chairman. Thanks for your continued support!

No problem my friend, I can't even begin to count the times I've been wrong - about more things than I care to remember. As for agreeing with MEC Chairmen - that's always difficult unless you're intemately involved with union affairs.

As for my support for Comair pilots - that will never go away. It wasn't my first airline by a long shot, but it was my last and I am proud that I had the chance to be there.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the individual you suspected" - are you referring to a particular person (no need to name him/her), or are you referring to my attitude? You got my curiosity.

Best regards and best wishes.

Since no one will post the TA, will someone tell me if the CA 900 rates are higher or lower then Mesa's? I ask because JO was braging on his hotline this week that if Comair pilots pass this TA, Mesa will have the Second highest CRJ 900 rates in the country. I don't believe it but want confirmation. Thanks Bean

Since no one will post the TA, will someone tell me if the CA 900 rates are higher or lower then Mesa's? I ask because JO was braging on his hotline this week that if Comair pilots pass this TA, Mesa will have the Second highest CRJ 900 rates in the country. I don't believe it but want confirmation. Thanks Bean

Sadly, the -900 rate is the same as the -700 rate until 1/1/11. The -700 rate is currently better than Mesa's -700 rate, but a little under Mesa's -900 rate. There is a COLA of 1.5% (which is a pay cut considering inflation generally runs about 3%) each year after signing.

Bean,

In a word, JO is full of it! According to the information that I have been given, the bankruptcy settlement TA does not contain any pay scales for aircraft with more than 76 seats. So, we have no pay scale for the CL-900. There is nothing to compare. If we should operate any aircraft with more than 76 seats during the life of the settlement, the rates would have to be negotiated.

We do have a common scale for the CL-900/705 & EMB-170/175 with a max configuration of 76 seats in both types.

Note: None of the pay scales in the CMR TA are for 'seat ranges' (like MES). They are all type specific.

The copy of the MES CBA that I have contains a pay scale for 60-76 seat Jet Aircraft with 3 steps - DOS, DOS + 36 and DOS + 54. I believe the MES CBA is currently at the DOS + 36 scale. That is the scale that can be compared to our CL-705, not your 900 scale.

If my information about the MES agreement is accurate, the comparable CA rate [for 76 seats] would be MES's 18-yr rate, which I read as $88.97. The MES rate for DOS + 54 - I read as 90.75 [CMR scales do not exceed 18 yrs.]

On the FO side of the fence, the MES rates for the same time frames [9-yr long.] are DOS + 36 - $36.45 and DOS + 54 - $37.18.

The current DOS + 36 rate for Jets >76 Seats <86k lbs. (18 & 9 yrs CA/FO) which I assume is the CL-900 are $97.40 & $36.45 respectively.

As of DOS in the settlement TA, the CMR CL65-200 CA rate is higher than the MES 76 seat rate. The DOS CMR CL65-200 FO rate for 8 yrs is higher than the highest MES 9-yr rate. The DOS CMR CL-700 CA rate 18 yrs is higher than the MES CL-900 rate 18 yrs. The DOS CMR CL-705 CA rate - 18 yrs. - is higher that the highest MES (DOS + 54) CL-900 rate - 18 yrs - which I show as $99.35.

The corresponding CMR FO rates in CMR's smallest jet exceeds the FO rate in MES's largest jet by a significant amount.

I would say your J.O. is blowing smoke. Apart from what I told you above, CMR has never had a pay scale for the CL-900 or equivalent and still does not. This new rate that we will get (if it passes) is for the CL-705 configured with no more than 76 seats. The current Delta PWA scope clause would not permit CMR to operate the CL-900.

Additionally CMR pays schedule or block whichever is greater. There are no 'segment times'. CMR will retain full displacement (cancellation) pay and credit, premium pay (1.5) for all open time, extensions and time on off days. CMR will also retain its duty and trip rigs and its min. day. None of those things exist in the MES contract. Either JO is intentionally stupid or he thinks you all are.

We lost our B plan (big hit) but will get a partial settlement of $82.5 million up front to help offset the loss; took a cut in perdiem (still higher than MES by .30/hr); retained DH credit but lost 25% of DH pay. Annual COLA and longevity increments retained, but COLA reduced. Our FO rates were 60% of CA. They will now reduce to 59.7%. We retained almost all of our work rules. Lost some vacation and sick leave accrual. We recovered our longevity - some up front with retro pay some at end of contract. We picked up a profit-sharing plan. We kept most of the 401K match. We improved our Scope a little and controlled increases in medical benefit costs. The duration of the deal is 4 years.

Please don't misunderstand -compared to our contract -this settlement/TA sucks. Unfortunately, that's what bankruptcy does. It's management's method of shafting employees for their own errors. What really hurts is that CMR istself was never bankrupt - we're just being forced to pay a price for being owned by Delta.:angryfire

Drew,

Please recheck your data. Either you mis-read it or I have the wrong MES contract.

pretty easy for him to say since every one of the majors has taken huge cuts already and he heads an organization that couldn't care less about its regional groups.

As far as your last sentence here: they can't strike and WE WON'T be released. Not that it ever did but, ALPA has no backbone to stand for anything (especially at regionals), its been riped out by the courts (lawyers again)

Go back to Coke, management boy!

Sadly, the -900 rate is the same as the -700 rate until 1/1/11. The -700 rate is currently better than Mesa's -700 rate, but a little under Mesa's -900 rate. There is a COLA of 1.5% (which is a pay cut considering inflation generally runs about 3%) each year after signing.

Mesa operates their 900's with more than 76 seats believe(isn't it 86 or something). The scales aren't really comparable, because if we ever did get 77+ seaters at CMR we would have to negotiate the payrates per the TA. Lets hope we never get anything more than 76 seats.

What I still do not understand is why Comair pilots are voting for this or why the MEC would endorse a TA that is concessionary. Any light would be appreciated.

If Delta is going exit bankruptcy in April or May, why not just vote down the TA and fight it out once out of bankruptcy whereas the hands are not so tied by the courts? Or does the status quo apply here once contract negotiations begin? Could Comair drag it out as long as ASA has in that regard?

Not looking for flame here. Only curious how this would work.

What I still do not understand is why Comair pilots are voting for this or why the MEC would endorse a TA that is concessionary. Any light would be appreciated.

If Delta is going exit bankruptcy in April or May, why not just vote down the TA and fight it out once out of bankruptcy whereas the hands are not so tied by the courts? Or does the status quo apply here once contract negotiations begin? Could Comair drag it out as long as ASA has in that regard?

Not looking for flame here. Only curious how this would work.

According to the BK judge, the imposed terms would be the new status quo. So after we exit BK, we have to go through the whole RLA process, while working under the imposed terms. We are not magically allowed to strike after the exit from bankruptcy, unless the injunction is overturned.

Also, the pilots will not get a BK claim(82mil or so) if the company imposes. They are under no obligation to give it to us. That is according to the ALPA lawyers.

Latest resources

Back