• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair MEC cuts off comm. with company

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When are people going to get it. What do you expect from management at a time like this, season tickets? At least thank your lucky stars you're not furloughed.

Quick question. Who "owns" the jumpseat aboard an alpa aircraft? Alpa, or the company? I ask because I've heard both, and if Alpa owns the jumpseat, why do I get bumped on ASA jumpseats when a Republic guys signs up for it first?

If you have 30 people in the water and the life raft holds 20, what do you do?

A. Nothing. All drown
B. Load all 30 and all drown.
C. Load 20 and have have something left.

I'll play along here:

If, in your example, all 30 have signed on to a union agreement by virtue of them being on the presumed sunk boat, I think it's safe to say most rational people would declare the agreement dead in the water.

Since most pilots vote in their own selfish Darwinian interest, I would predict they would attempt to enter the life boat and shove anyone else out who threatens the sinking of the life boat. This would likely favor the young as they are likely to be stronger.

If it were up to management, they would allow only the lowest paid in to the life boat.

If you were still on the ship and the membership didn't know it was about to sink, then senior leadership at the union would negotiate for their quiet escape long before the membership had a chance, cause that's how seniority works.

Oh, and just before the ship sank, they would increase the retirement age since the fleet was about to be reduced by one.

Oh, and one more note. At least half of those who made it in to the life boat would die of hypothermia anyway. (That's the high fuel cost analogy)

That's the world we live in.

Tak'er easy boys (and ladies)

Let's don't form a posse' and hang anyone yet. Maybe the MEC should be given the benefit of doubt. Perhaps they have a good strategy that would be hurt if publicly dislclosed or leaked.

I've found that someone active in the union is always willing to talk to me and answer any questions I have, particularly face-to-face. I may not always agree with the answer, but I always came away feeling they were trying to do what was in the best overall, long-range interests of their members (maybe not other MEC's, but at least theirs).

Quick question. Who "owns" the jumpseat aboard an alpa aircraft? Alpa, or the company? I ask because I've heard both, and if Alpa owns the jumpseat, why do I get bumped on ASA jumpseats when a Republic guys signs up for it first?

Technically the feds own the jumpseat, but that's neither here nor there.

ASA jumpseat priority: ASA, SkyWest, other DL/DCI, OAL.

wow thanks. Thats exactly the attitude our MEC has. F our junior guys. Im obviously uneducated about how labor negotiations work. We just dont understand how sacrificing jobs because you wont work with the company to mitigate furloughs will benefit us. How hard is it to lay down other concerns for A WEEK. 1 WEEK so they can negotiate lower min line values, voluntary furloughs, and COLA's.

Please explain to me how f'ing your pilots over at one of the most critical times in their careers is helping the union. This will serve to piss off alot of junior guys and divide the pilot group. Any divided pilot group is useless right???? At least thats what my "brothers" up top always say.

This is the exact reason why we need a union for situations like this. They are failing our junior pilots at the time they need them the most. They need to get off their high horse and work with the company now on the issue that is most pressing. I would love to make the decisions but not all of us can be involved for reasons outside our control. Thats why we pay dues so we can have a few full time guys deal with this crap.

With all due respect, maybe, you should be spending your time communicating with those in charge. Request a special LEC meeting from your reps. One thing is for sure, you will not get a remedy or resolution on this forum.

ALPA is not the problem--in DC or at your MEC! The problem is members who do not participate, do not stay informed, and do not hold your elected leaders accountable and also support them in time of crisis. You have just validated the argument. Don't wait for the boat to spring a leak before you get proactive. There is a thing in our business called preventive maintenance. Get involved!

Maybe you should educate yourself instead of relying on Dan Fords letter.

Dan's letter is factually correct.....care to correct any of the facts in the letter?

The fact is the various MECs and ALPA national have been warned for many years of the impending train wreck regarding scope and job protection.....Unfortunatly those warnings were dismissed.....

CMR is now be punished simply because they can....

With all due respect, maybe, you should be spending your time communicating with those in charge. Request a special LEC meeting from your reps. One thing is for sure, you will not get a remedy or resolution on this forum.

ALPA is not the problem--in DC or at your MEC! The problem is members who do not participate, do not stay informed, and do not hold your elected leaders accountable and also support them in time of crisis. You have just validated the argument. Don't wait for the boat to spring a leak before you get proactive. There is a thing in our business called preventive maintenance. Get involved!

Speedtape,
Dan Ford has published a very detailed letter describing the current situation and how ALPA....both locally and nationally......has ignored the problem....

The ASA and CMR MECs of today are not the same of 2000....

Latest resources

Back