• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Comair "latest and greatest"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Plus we came to Comair a year after the strike. At that time, he and I both thought Comair would be a lasting career for both of us. He has always wanted to go to a major though. I thought I'd retire here (haha). But I guess it's because of the strike that Comair is not what it used to be? I thought it would have been best had SkyWest purchased us but I don't really know. I don't know why we are so expensive to operate at this time. We took pay cuts but are still too expensive. I don't get it really.

Don't you think that these are things you should check out with your financial institution and not on here. Also, if you plan on collecting from unemployment for 99 months then I want some of my money back.
Just saying what everyone else is thinking!!

Don't you think that these are things you should check out with your financial institution and not on here. Also, if you plan on collecting from unemployment for 99 months then I want some of my money back.

Just asking. If I have to collect unemployment for 99 months, it's Delta's damn fault and I plan on looking for work as soon as Delta destroy's what was once a good company, matter of fact I've started looking but I live in a state with 12% unemployment. F YOU!!!

You probably voted for Obama and are now having buyer's remorse. How's that hope and change thingy workin out for ya?

Last edited:
Didn't jag bag decide to extend unemployment and yet you will live on it for 99months? You voted for him too didnt ya?

Thanks for the compliment. I'm not a pilot, maybe I don't phrase things right and it irks people here. We have money in our 401ks. If Comair goes down, won't we get that money? He keeps updating his app for other airlines as is every Comair pilot. If Delta got rid of all of our 50 seaters and we retained only our 70/90s flying for Delta without adding any new 70/90s to the mix, my hubby and I would most likely lose our jobs along with hundreds of other folks. I really wish I knew what Delta had in mind for us but we won't know till we read it on Epic like with the Compass/Mesaba deal. I read Trailblazer's posts all the time on the other forum but I cannot post there. I think I have seen your posts over there too. I'm flying with a guy who's back after almost 2 years being furloughed. He's really happy to be back and I'm happy for him and his family, but I can't get it out of my head that we are going to cease to exist in 2011. I was hoping other Comair people were on here too.

You'll get the money that is in your 401(K)...at least to whatever percentage you're vested. That money shouldn't really be considered a contingency fund. Otherwise you'll have nothing for retirement...unless you are confident Social Security will still be solvent when you reach retirement age.

First, just because someone posts something on an internet message board doesn't mean it's true. Keep in mind that it's often easier to get people to believe a big lie than a little one (take Hitler for example). This guy Trailblazer is posting anonymously, and has nothing of value to say except vague, unprovable rumors. He's not saying anything that hasn't been said for the last five years or more...yet Comair remains.

The reason I asked about a contingency fund is because that is one thing you have control over. You, your husband, I, your Inflight supervisor, the Chief Pilot's Office, even the President of Comair....none of the above have any degree of control over Comair's future. Those decisions are made in Atlanta, and are likely to change as often as the wind does.

If you and your husband have a true contingency fund, you will find yourself in a much less stressful position. So long as your employer knows you have bills to pay, are living paycheck to paycheck, and don't have any significant assets that are unencumbered by debt, your employer knows they can kick you like you're a dog, but you won't bite back because you depend on the person kicking you to feed you.

The contingency fund simply helps you and your family be less dependent on your employer.

Unemployment compensation can only be considered part of contingency planning if you can maintain your current standard of living if both you and your husband lose your jobs. You might want to take a little closer look at just how much your household will bring in on unemployment...probably less than $3400/mo. Then you need to price private health insurance plans that are comparable to what you have now. I suspect you'll find if there's just two of you and you are relatively young, you might be able to insure your family for around $700/mo. That's an educated guess.

So your dual unemployment benefits are now reduced to $2700/mo. If you're currently living a $2700/mo. lifestyle, you can consider unemployment insurance a contingency fund.

On the other hand, if you're currently living a $2700/mo. lifestyle between yourself and your husband, carrying no revolving debt month to month, you have a tremendous opportunity to build a reasonably substantial contingency fund in not a whole lot of time. If you're a Flight Attendant, and he's a First Officer with the amount of longevity you're describing, you are netting after taxes somewhere between $4500 - $5000 per month. If you're living a $2700/mo. lifestyle, there's a minimum of $1800/mo. that can be stashed away into your contingency fund. That's over $21,000/yr.

Would you feel as insecure as you do if you had $21k in the bank to supplement unemployment compensation? Would you spend as much time fearing for Comair's future? How concerned would you be if you had $60k in your "financial bomb shelter"?

I'm not writing that you absolutely need to live a $2700/mo. lifestyle...just that if your only contingency plan is living on unemployment benefits that's what you'll need to get used to.

This plan is unacceptable to me personally, but that's just me.

Plus we came to Comair a year after the strike. At that time, he and I both thought Comair would be a lasting career for both of us. He has always wanted to go to a major though. I thought I'd retire here (haha). But I guess it's because of the strike that Comair is not what it used to be? I thought it would have been best had SkyWest purchased us but I don't really know. I don't know why we are so expensive to operate at this time. We took pay cuts but are still too expensive. I don't get it really.

There is no "getting it" beyond understanding that Delta management cares about nothing beyond increasing their bonuses. If that means telling employees again and again that they're too expensive, so be it. Lower their expectations, cheapen the value of their experience and professionalism. This is simple Airline Management 101. It's also the Wal-Mart mentality that ingrains in people that they are entitled to get everything for either nothing, or as close to that as possible.

Why is Comair so expensive to operate? If I ever see whomever is their President this week, I'll suggest it might be partially because the company is paying a President's salary to someone who is effectively nothing more than a secretary paid to answer the telephone when it rings from Atlanta.

If Comair is what it is "because of the strike", why was it that Delta grew Comair by 60% during the three years immediately following the strike? Why wouldn't the "punishment" have been dealt swiftly and decisively over a year or two after the strike?

Fear distorts one's perception. Having a significant contingency fund allows one to have a better understanding of, and control over, one's future.

Best wishes. Step up and take control of your future.

HELL NO, I voted for McCain.

You just redeemed yourself. ;). My previous post was meant to imply that if you sees things not looking so good, then you should start thinking about doing something about it. I was back at ACA when I saw that it was gonna be a bright future. I took that as a great opportunity to start looking for another option. Turns out it paid off for me as I was only laid off for about 5 days when I got another offer for employment. You have to be proactive in this indusrty or else it will bite you in the a$$. Good luck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back