Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wrigley23

I got that goin' for me
"Comair is not an airline. Comair is simply someone who leases its aircraft to Delta," Boyd said. "Comair is turning a profit. Well, so is the toilet paper vendor for Delta. All that means is Comair is making money by Delta moving money from one pocket to another."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051220/NEWS01/512200356

Boyd is a @#%&#@. His group's analysis is always hindsight. Who actually pays them? I bet the toilet paper workers aren't taking pay cuts.

And the show has reached.....a new LOW.

Hey Norm, maybe you guys could be hotdog vendors for Delta! Hauuy.....

Someone please find Boyd and curb him. Thank you.

Regards,
The Aviation Industry

What's the problem here? Boyd is, as usual, correct. Comair isn't a true airline. Comair has none of its own flights, does none of its own marketing, and has no brand image of its own. Comair simply leases crews and airplanes to Delta mainline. That's what all regionals do. Get over it.

despite the classless remark about the toilet paper, isn't he essentially correct?

Comair is a small-jet provider. No different than Chautauqua, Mesa, or any of the others.

Customers do not buy tickets on Comair. Most probably have no idea that they're even on a Comair airplane.

Comair makes money by wet-leasing an airplane and a crew to Delta. Delta then takes that airplane and sells seats on it.

It's really that simple. Comair couldn't care less if it hauls 1 passenger or 50 passengers -- it gets the same check from Delta regardless. They need only depart to get paid.

They're not an airline. They're a leasing company. The water is muddy because the leasing company is owned by the entity they do business with. So it really is a shell-game with the money.

For all those years I thought I was an airline pilot! But, if Boyd said it then it must be true!

C425Driver

Assuming there is some truth behind Boyd's statements, and not just his usual grand-standing efforts at getting his name in the papers (and paid), one thing needs to be pointed out. Comair operated their own flights, marketing department, etc. until Delta bought them and dismantled it. For that matter, Comair doesn't exist as a company at all.

Fortunately they missed the next article with the headline "Boyd proves that 'analyst' is not synonimous with 'expert' (or even 'intelligent' for that matter)."

bvt1151 said:
Assuming there is some truth behind Boyd's statements, and not just his usual grand-standing efforts at getting his name in the papers (and paid), one thing needs to be pointed out. Comair operated their own flights, marketing department, etc. until Delta bought them and dismantled it. For that matter, Comair doesn't exist as a company at all.

Fortunately they missed the next article with the headline "Boyd proves that 'analyst' is not synonimous with 'expert' (or even 'intelligent' for that matter)."

CMR has not flownthe OH code since the DAL codeshare agreement was signed back in the 1980's (1984 i think). They did not do their own marketing, nor did they have their own reservation system. All flights operated as code share on DAL.

atrdriver said:
CMR has not flownthe OH code since the DAL codeshare agreement was signed back in the 1980's (1984 i think). They did not do their own marketing, nor did they have their own reservation system. All flights operated as code share on DAL.

Incorrect. You apparently weren't here for the weekend fun passes, or to see the Comair ticket counter. Comair code-shared with Delta as well as sold their own tickets. They did all of their own marketing, including deciding which markets to code-share with Delta. On the tickets that weren't sold through Delta, Comair leased the Delta reservations system which is exactly what most other smaller airlines do.Delta did not allow competing flights (ie CVG-ATL) but they did not dictate where Comair would go, only where they couldn't. In fact, Delta wanted Comair in JFK long before the buyout. Intelligently, the Comair marketing department said no.

Yea, the article names Comair specifically, but they do the same things as ASA, Akywest, Republic, CHQ, Mesa. None of those guys have their own infastructure either.

Webster's defines an airline as...
  1. A system for scheduled air transport of passengers and freight.
  2. A business providing a system of scheduled air transport. Also called airway.
Funny, I don't see where it says that you need to supply your OWN infastructure to be considered an airline. It can be farmed out, codeshared, or whatever you want as long as you move people from point A to point B in an aircraft.

BTW a lot of regionals sublease their aircraft from their mainline partner, usually at a higher rate than original lease. Thus providing a profit stream to the mainline counterpart.

Latest resources

Back