Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Igneousy2

Dude-
You obviously have never been on plane with an inop APU! Once you disconnect the ground air, it takes about two seconds for the inside to be over 110 degrees on a hot day.
Would you like your Grandma taxiing around at 110 or 120 or so for 35 mins to wait for takeoff? People can die from this sort of stuff.
You are the type of person who will one day get your butt sued off for killing an old, frail passenger this way. Don't think any airline is going to defend you from the civil suit which will follow. You will be lucky to be living in a "trailer down by the river" after that one. Way to take one for the team!
-Life's hard-it's harder when you're stupid!

...I have never seen a Captain refuse an airplane because of an inop APU. I call BS to anyone who says that they would.

I did. Last week. Well, I did not refuse the airplane, I just refused to allow boarding until I got either a cart or an engine start.

An inop APU is not a bid deal if you have ground conditioned air or if you don't shut an engine down until you have ground conditioned air. Obviouslly this was a very unusual set of circumstances. I probably would have been outside dragging an AC cart up to the airplane to get some Air going...but that's just me. Probably even consider popping the emergency exits.

Later
Ramp said the carts were all in use and no engine start at the gate for boarding. I said to let me know when either option was available and we'll start boarding then. Took them a while but we got the ground air.

I also remember a few years back when MX took to deferring rather than fixing the freon air in the 19 seaters. Cat D deferral, so deferred in May, fixed by September.

Thus began the the "Great Big Indianapolis Jetstream Air Conditioning Rebellion of 2000."

Last edited:
Why was the cockpit door even open? If the main cabin door is closed, shouldn't the cockpit door be secured as well?

Hard to armchair quarter-back this one, but I know personally, I would have appreciated the Captain standing to address me if I was the guy with the complaint. The situation may very well have been out of his hands, but I think he certainly could have dealt with it more assertively and done a better job of keeping everyone in the loop. The Captain just seemed sort of resigned, and it didn't seem very professional to me.

-Goose

no, the captain would be hard pressed at just about any company. It would be pretty hard to justify an APU as a safety issue during any carpet dance - everyone here saying he should have done this or that is full of crap - I have never seen a Captain refuse an airplane because of an inop APU. I call BS to anyone who says that they would.

Call BS all you want. I've done it, many times, and so have many other Captains. The APU is an essential item on a hot day in a CRJ-200. I don't care what some management puke desk jockey has to say about it. If it's more than 85 degrees outside with the sun shining and no APU, then the airplane ain't moving with me as PIC.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back