Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Typhoon1244

Member in Good Standing
Okay, I give up: what's the significance of Comair operations in CVG using the callsign "Exception?"

(And incidentally, what's "blue Exception," "orange Exception," etc.?)

Exceptions is what they call operations. Why they call it that... I don't know.

Different colors for different ramps. South ramp is gates 1-39 and North ramp is 40-79. Different person covering each ramp and it's quicker to call with color so they don't have to look up your flight # to see who is working the gate. A gates fall under one of the ramps..

Clear as mud?

The reason they call it "Exceptions" is because it's who you call if you have something going on outside the norm. Other than temporarily canx all 1100 flights the ramp operation in CVG works extremely well. You will get your fuel, commissary, bags loaded, and pax boarded on time without having to ask for it. There are of course 'exceptions'......

It was called "Exceptions" from back in the first days of Concourse C. As noted above, most things are done automatically, but if you have and exception, you call "Exceptions." I didn't come up with it :D.

There are 4 wings to Concourse C. Each one has it's own color (RED, ORANGE, BLUE, AND GREEN). You can find your color on the bottom of the CALL FOR PUSH signs at each gate, a colored horizontal line near the bottom. You don't need to say the color, but it just gets the correct tower agent to answer your call. Concourse A is the GOLD team I believe.

I wondered what the colors meant too. What is the color for the A concourse gates?

CVG rocks, because everything is take care of. The same 5 rampers work one gate all day (so they're accountable) and they are actually trained to use all service equipment. You don't have to wait for a dedicated fueler or lavdumper or cleaner to get to you after he or she does a plane, takes a break, checks the sports scores, smacks a few asses, does another plane, etc, complains about The Man, etc... Don't you just love Atlanta?

Now I understand why the Comair crews whined so much on the radio in 'da ATL.

ifly4food said:
I wondered what the colors meant too. What is the color for the A concourse gates?
They belong to ASA...probably brown. :eek:
ifly4food said:
Copidat. :D

exception

The meaning of the word finally hit me when I had to call them from remote parking where we were getting a mechanical issue resolved with passengers on board to tell them that one of the passengers wanted to get off. It seems he used our holding time to call his business contact at the destination and learned that his meeting was cancelled. Or so he said.

ifly4food said:

I think Concourse A is GOLD.

I'll give the folks credit in CVG. When ASA flew the ATRs through there a couple of years ago, that place was heaven.

Concourse A

There will be a gold team and a silver team in A after february if they are not in place already. There should be a color on top of the rids, when you key the mike look at the color and tell them "exceptions gold, gate 16, Jackson." Then call for your lav service so comair gets paid, from delta, for servicing ASA aircraft. Not a dollar left the pot, but there are a lot of managers to keep the books 'straight'.

Latest resources

Back