• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

Comair Classes

airlinepilot

Total Time
Looks like Comiar is staring up classes on th 17th of June. Who has received class dates???
Can any of the Comair guys provide an outline of the training process??
Also, does anyone know if the new 70 seat RJ is being given to new hire classes???

PositiveRate

Refugee
Total Time
8000+
I think i read somewhere in another thread that the 70 seater won't be on property until October...maybe later. I would expect all new hires will be going into the CL65 for the next couple months.

Guam360

spam and rice please
Total Time
>8000
Positive rate is accurate as can be, who knows anything until it happens around aviation.

There isn't even a bid for the 70 seater. So Until further notice, everyone will be flying the CL65.

A bid may be out in a couple months, training wants all of us 120 guys in a training class, so they can evaluate who we have and how many we need, etc. in accordance with RJ deliveries.

Good luck!

PositiveRate

Refugee
Total Time
8000+
Guam...have you heard anything about classes beyond june 17th? Do you expect they'll be once a month, once every couple weeks, or just every now and then?

Thanks in advance.

54fighting

Total Time
There is a June 24th class as well. I know of an individual in that class on the 24th. I believe they interviewed the first week in March. As far as I know, there has been nothing set after the 24th yet. :confused:

PositiveRate

Refugee
Total Time
8000+
Thanks for the info! Anyone else get notified for class dates yet? 2 classes in june is a lot better than none, which is what a lot of us were thinking just a couple weeks ago.

Anaconda

FLY ARMY!
Total Time
Low!
why on earth would you want to be in a 70-seater even if they were offering it to new-hires?

can you say "reserve and schedules from hell"?

better you than me i guess...

airlinepilot

Total Time
It all Depends!!

If most guys on the line don't bid the 70 seater because they don't want to be seat locked then being in the first couple of classes would be good...this happened at Midway when I flew the 737 (I was in the first 737 class) and we ended up having good schedules. The other guys more senior didn't want to bid for a right seat in the 737 because it would have meant being seat locked and not upgrading to Capt in the near future...not sure what the Comair contract says...but I bet there is a "seat lock" if you go from the right seat of the smaller RJ to the larger one without Junior assignment. You guys on the line can surely provide a better view point.

Guam360

spam and rice please
Total Time
>8000
A new hire may not have a choice at time of hire, anyhow, it is first year pay and just an RJ at that point.

what's up Anaconda, starting trouble again?

when are you going, or think you are going?

ksus

SIUC-DAWG
Total Time
3500+
Is it true that reserve can be from 15mos -18mos
at Comair.
I was talking to a Comair Capt. the other day and he said
it might even be close to 2yrs.
Anyone has any info on reserve?

jetflyer

Concerned Citizen
Total Time
6k+
Reserve

This whole reserve thing is bugging me!!

REALIZE THIS:

If Comair doesn't hire a newhire for 25 years, guess what the junior guys will be on reserve for guess how long??

YOU GOT IT RIGHT: 25 years!

That is a magical formula huh??

If you got hired and started class June 24, and there are 300 people below you by the end of the year you're probably only on reserve for a couple months at the most.

What matters for reserve is how many people are being hired, because EVERY AIRLINE keeps the junior FOs and Captains as reserve to cover for sick people, vacations, Leave of absence, weather, etc.

EVERY SINGLE AIRLINE has to have the junior people do this, and because Comair has tons of hiring plans in the near future and guess what a lot of airlines don't, then Comair's RESERVE TIMES WILL BE A LOT LESS than those NOT HIRING in the future.

Thank you,
Jet

Last edited:

Caveman

Grandpa
Total Time
11000+
Reserve for FO's is running about 3-6 months at Comair. I finished IOE at the end of November and I could of held a line this month. The lineholders went as junior as 80 or so numbers below me. There are new FO's holding a regular line this month that finished IOE in Feb and Mar. Reserve isn't a bad deal unless you commute and then it sucks. Besides, being on permanent reserve and employed is a whole lot better than the alternative.

RichO

Total Time
enough
Reserve

Cavemen hit it right on the nail........There are many people wishing they were at least on reserve with a job.....Everyone has to pay their dues....and reserve is part of that.....of course, the shorter the better......but look at the facts, your flying for Comair, a company you don't hear too many complaints about, and one that many people would love to fly for........

Checks

Total Time
Any suggestions for getting your resume noticed?
2800TT, 1000ME

Thanks

Anaconda

FLY ARMY!
Total Time
Low!
i would submit to you that there is more to how long reserve is besides the number of people that are hired. e.g., retirements, acft deliveries, attrition, etc. regardless, it's a dead issue.

reserve has been covered ad nauseum on this board. try doing a search for anything "comair"

guam, looking at late august based on my seniority...

see you on the couch!

PositiveRate

Refugee
Total Time
8000+
Anaconda, Guam, et al....

So is the company planning on mixing in new hires with the E120 guys or are they separate deals?

Has anyone who currently flies the line or is associated heard anything about class schedules for new hires beyond June 17th, and 24th?

Not trying to be a pest here, but I've been furloughed from another airline for 9 months now and am getting sick of sitting around. Reserve?? Sign me up. Beats living with the parents.

Anaconda

FLY ARMY!
Total Time
Low!
i'm afraid i don't have the answers to your questions. sorry, and good luck!

airlinepilot

Total Time
Schedule for guys startinig the 24th

I talked with Amy at length yesterday.....Indoc, including CRM from the 24th of June thru the 8th of July (4th and 5th off...and no weekend classes during ground school).....start systems on the 9th of July and finish ground school on the 6th of Aug....Sim schedule which follows ground school will be bid on in the group depending on seniority.....when we start systems...which I expect to be CBT...our class has the evening schedule until the class that starts the 17th is done with CBT. (I make the assumption that Comair is using the same Bombardier CBT systems training....Also....wives day is the 2nd of July.....tour, etc. If this is like the CBT I had at Midway from Bomdardier...then it is really self paced.....plenty of time to get all the modules done....I was new to the RJ and still finished a few days early......

CRJFlyer

I'll be down there for the 24th class..........

PositiveRate

Refugee
Total Time
8000+
I talked to Kathy last week and she said something about 2 more classes in July. Has anyone been called for one of these or heard this rumor?

Thanks.