Comair Academy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CAA, Ha!

I really don’t agree with anything that 172Driver has to say about Comair Aviation Academy. I completed the Inst-CFI program and I must say that I was very disappointed with the overall program. I declined the opportunity to interview for the CFI position because it is not the type of company that I wanted to work for. With that, nor was it the kind of atmosphere I would like to pass my knowledge on to my students. The guys that were enrolled with me that stayed to teach have been there for sometime and still have only 1 or 2 students.

“Most who leave do so because they couldn't hang in there with the program. They chose not to put the in the effort that is required to complete their ratings at the price they expected to pay.” C172driver

Well some of course cannot hang with the program. However most of the students I know, left simply for the obvious lack of customer service, the cocky, pompous arrogant-a$$ Flight Instructors, aging fleet of aircraft, and bloated training costs.

“All of them end up blaming the school for their problems.” C172driver

It would be different if the school were more interested in their customers and a little less interested in the bottom line and being “associated” with Delta Airlines. I left for that very reason. I did not like being known as a number with 50k sitting in a CAA bank account. Many of the students that I ran into that had left were mainly disappointed with the entire operation from the top down.

As far as the training was concerned, I agree that it was top notch. However I was fortunate enough to have some pretty **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** good instructors.

Also, to those who think you have to be a CFI there to be considered a graduate, you’re F’N crazy. I do consider myself a Comair graduate. Just because I didn’t stay and work there and complete their 800hr contract that does not take away from the fact that I was enrolled in the Instrument, Commercial, Multi-Engine, and CFI programs and did in fact complete them. Myself as well as the many others that completed the same programs are graduates as well. It even says so on all of my course completion certificates. You know the one with the big Delta Logo on it. It reads as such:

“This is to Certify that ********** Has successfully completed all stages, tests, and course requirements and has GRADUATED from the FAA approved Instrument, Commercial, Multi-Engine, or CFI Certification Course Conducted by CAA.”

Now where does it say that you must be a student and Flight Instructor there to be a graduate?

If I had it to do all over again I would have been a little more skeptical when I was getting the sales pitch.

John err..Stryker,

I can see how some would be dissappointed from a customer service standpoint. I also know that some customers make a point to be the "noise-makers" and rub people the wrong way.

I submit that a quality that CAA looks for in a student and future employee is the ability to get you desires and thoughts across and get along with others at the same time. Some people are seriously lacking in this department.

There is an expectation at CAA that you will conform to the system to a certain extent (a fact which is advertised to all incoming students). This is not a bad thing. Some people in the system can make the process difficult. A mature and aspiring individual can recognize this for what it is, and still achieve their desired outcome. Some have legitimate gripes. No reference to you, but too many just whine and leave when they encounter problems that often started developing in the mirror.

CAA has an excellent customer service department that really cares. If anyone is having problems, by all means contact them with sincerety and tact! They are there to help.

P.S. The flight instructor generalization was just immature and narrow-minded.

As far as the training was concerned, I agree that it was top notch.

What exactly were you looking for in a flight school besides top notch training? It's not a four star hotel.

left simply for the obvious lack of customer service, the cocky, pompous arrogant-a$$ Flight Instructors, aging fleet of aircraft, and bloated training costs

Can you cite any specific examples of poor customer service? Were the CFI's really like this or did you receive top notch training from good instructors as you said later? Did you not know the aircraft were old and what the training costs were before you signed up?

“All of them end up blaming the school for their problems.” C172driver

It would be different if the school were more interested in their customers and a little less interested in the bottom line and being “associated” with Delta Airlines. I left for that very reason. I did not like being known as a number with 50k sitting in a CAA bank account. Many of the students that I ran into that had left were mainly disappointed with the entire operation from the top down

Like I said...

Also, to those who think you have to be a CFI there to be considered a graduate, you’re F’N crazy. I do consider myself a Comair graduate. Just because I didn’t stay and work there and complete their 800hr contract that does not take away from the fact that I was enrolled in the Instrument, Commercial, Multi-Engine, and CFI programs and did in fact complete them. Myself as well as the many others that completed the same programs are graduates as well. It even says so on all of my course completion certificates. You know the one with the big Delta Logo on it. It reads as such:

I think the above posts were referring to graduates as those who were eligible for the airline interview. That would entail working the 800 hrs as a CFI. You are definitely a graduate of the courses you named but not of the entire program necessary for the interview.

Dime:

I looked at CAA a couple of years ago, I met with one of their "recruiters" who was more like a greasy used car salesman-- a real turn-off. This guy had the same chant over and over again, "Comair Acad. is the Harvard of the air." He must have said this 10 times. I don't know if this is representative of CAA, but it was enough to send me away.

I looked at FSI a few days later and decided that was the program for me (Fast track). The program was a cast-iron b1tch, but I did get the job. FSI people were extremely professional and thorough. I may have received an equally good education at CAA, but I felt my treatment was much better FSI.

Good lucl...

I don't know what you guys are smokin but CAA has had the worst costumer service of any business I have ever done business with. I believe that 75% of the people that went to school at the same time I did believe the the same thing. I think that is why a majority left and went to other schools. There were a few that could not handle it, but most where just fed up.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back