College Educated Pilots vs Management

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WillowRunVortex said:
I was ganna let ya slide but you pushed my last button,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,An unsolicited PM I received

"I'm enjoying the back and fourth between you and PCL. I rarely msg. anyone but couldn't resist on this one. Just FYI in case you were not aware...PCL pft'd years ago for his job. Might give you a little more idea of his goofy reasoning and hipocracy"

Sincerely

What are you even doing in here? YOUR PART OF THE PROBLEM!

WillowRunVortex said:
I was ganna let ya slide but you pushed my last button,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,An unsolicited PM I received

"I'm enjoying the back and fourth between you and PCL. I rarely msg. anyone but couldn't resist on this one. Just FYI in case you were not aware...PCL pft'd years ago for his job. Might give you a little more idea of his goofy reasoning and hipocracy"

Sincerely

I think you missed a comma somewhere in there. :rolleyes:

Most people on this board are aware of my past at GIA. If you'd like to see the threads about it, just check my old posts. I'm not going to beat that dead horse anymore.

WillowRunVortex said:
What are you even doing in here? YOUR PART OF THE PROBLEM!

your - second person pronoun
you're - contraction for "you are"

I think you might want to look into a high school english class. Just trying to help.

I make $150 less a month than a first year Boston Maine FO. All I do is disconnect peoples Cable TV. :D I dont get that flight time though, I suppose it evens out.

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/content/view/66/18/

EDIT: Checking Math so I dont get flamed.

5x30 (30 disconnects a day average, between 25-40 a day), thats $150 a day, 6 days a week because I want to, thats $900. Four weeks, 900 x 4 is $3600 a month. Su......eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

BUT, take out about $20 a day in gas. So.... its only 130 x 6 = 780, 780 x 4 is $3120 before taxes

Last edited:
PCL_128 said:
your - second person pronoun
you're - contraction for "you are"

I think you might want to look into a high school english class. Just trying to help.

Yeah, when I get worked up (really worked up), which is rare, I type fast and really dont give a sh1t about grammar or sp anymore,,,what I want to know is how you can make so many comments on pilot wages when you are managements best friend? I mean F_ck? talk about givin the bad guys a trump card,,,I feel like
Mel Gibson did when his enemy took the helmet off and it was his buddy

WillowRunVortex said:
what I want to know is how you can make so many comments on pilot wages when you are managements best friend? I mean F_ck? talk about givin the bad guys a trump card,,,I feel like
Mel Gibson did when his enemy took the helmet off and it was his buddy

Because I haven't been management's best friend in quite some time. Like I said, read some of the old PFT posts. I'm not proud of the GIA thing, but there's no way to undo it now. I simply didn't know any better at the time. Now I do. Past mistakes don't mean that I can't do my best to advance the profession now.

jafo20 said:
Guys with degrees or substantial life experience tend to be more adaptive and flexible in the cockpit. Others tend to melt down when they need to do something that doesn't have a published checklist associated with it.

With all do respect I don't think you have any evidence to back up both those statements. As previous posters have stated many with Ph'd can not even do the simplist day to day tasks while someone with no college could easily "think outside the box" and solve problems. As PilotYIP stated at USA jet a lot of the non degree applicants score higher than the degree guys on basic cognitive and all around aptitude tests. I do not think there is any solid convincing evidence one way or another. I will agree that a degree is valuable if you lose your medical or if your airline collapses or furloughs you.

botz45,
Jesus is this a wind up. If you hold a college degree, I would not be that excited about it. A bachelors in The US is not a hard thing to attain. Yeah, buy a degree online and that will make you a fearful negotiator with any level of corporate America. We are all equally qualified. Your degree gives you only one advantage, getting an interview...maybe. Really, think about it, the most fearful union negotiators are not all college educated. They are professional negotiators and/or intimidators.
This is an endless debate, don't underestimate your "uneducated" work pals. People are as educated as they make themselves and you don't need to go to college to find out most things. A four year aviation degree is the last thing that would intimidate airline managment.
I know this was not the question, but have you ever flown with an MIT Phd with several thousand hours? I would go for a no-college stick rudder guy to be in the front of an aluminum tube, I know becuase I have flown with both.

Last edited:
I do not have a college degree. I was smart enough to know at eighteen that I would not have the focus to complete a degree and get good grades. This does not mean that I am not a smart person nor does it mean that I can not focus in pressure situations as was suggested by an earlier poster.

When I was in the Army I was a crewchief on an MH60 L blackhawk in a special operations unit. One night we had a mission to insert a group of operatives onto a rooftop in support on an anti-drug mission. The insertion became hot and we ended up taking some rounds through the acft and having to di di out pretty fast.

In reflecting on this and reading the previous posts about intelligence and grace under pressure I am compelled to try to put you into the position I was in as best as I can.

This was a fastrope operation. My first task was to call the pilots into a hover in a confined area with power lines on our right and a power pole in front. Once established in the hover I had to call height, drift, and clear the main and tail rotors. While doing the clearing I had to kick the rope out the door and make sure the crewchief on the other side was kicking the operators equipment out the other side. I then had to tap the operators out with the correct timing to make sure they didn't land on each other and get hurt. This was all accomplished in the dark at 0100 under NVGs. The entire insertion was completed in under twenty seconds and under fire.

Please do not try to make the case that a person who may not have had the money or drive to go to college is any less intelligent or unable to handle pressure because it simply isn't true.

With respect to negotiation and business accumen I have to say some of the wealthiest people I have ever had the pleasure to meet and work for were high school drop outs. It seems that sometimes in business it is helpful not to know all the reasons you can't succeed.

Yellow Snow said:
I do not have a college degree. I was smart enough to know at eighteen that I would not have the focus to complete a degree and get good grades. This does not mean that I am not a smart person nor does it mean that I can not focus in pressure situations as was suggested by an earlier poster.

When I was in the Army I was a crewchief on an MH60 L blackhawk in a special operations unit. One night we had a mission to insert a group of operatives onto a rooftop in support on an anti-drug mission. The insertion became hot and we ended up taking some rounds through the acft and having to di di out pretty fast.

In reflecting on this and reading the previous posts about intelligence and grace under pressure I am compelled to try to put you into the position I was in as best as I can.

This was a fastrope operation. My first task was to call the pilots into a hover in a confined area with power lines on our right and a power pole in front. Once established in the hover I had to call height, drift, and clear the main and tail rotors. While doing the clearing I had to kick the rope out the door and make sure the crewchief on the other side was kicking the operators equipment out the other side. I then had to tap the operators out with the correct timing to make sure they didn't land on each other and get hurt. This was all accomplished in the dark at 0100 under NVGs. The entire insertion was completed in under twenty seconds and under fire.

Please do not try to make the case that a person who may not have had the money or drive to go to college is any less intelligent or unable to handle pressure because it simply isn't true.

With respect to negotiation and business accumen I have to say some of the wealthiest people I have ever had the pleasure to meet and work for were high school drop outs. It seems that sometimes in business it is helpful not to know all the reasons you can't succeed.

My neighbor is a big partner with Allstate Insurance, he was an anti-aircraft gunner in the Army. No HS Diploma. Worth millions, and doesn't look his age. Lucky guy!

Latest resources

Back